What were they doing back on the Pegasus?

Discussions about the 1978 TV & Movie series.
Hope It Is The Grog
Squadron Leader

What were they doing back on the Pegasus?

Post by Hope It Is The Grog » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:36 am

The Mission Galactica edit keeps the scene in Cain's office as it was originally shot: Apollo tells Cain that only 220 ships survive from the Colonies, and then Cain immediately asks about Cassiopeia.

But in "The Living Legend" the discussion of Cassie is cut out for the sake of a commercial break and then reinserted later, after Cain has already brought Starbuck and Apollo back to the Galactica. Then, suddenly, the three of them are back in Cain's quarters looking at the holograms of Cassiopeia and Sheba.

So the question we have to answer is "Why did Cain take them back to the Pegasus?" Just to ask them about Cassie? No, that makes no sense. Sure, he had a cool hologram to show them, but if he was pining for her so much, why didn't he think of that before? And once he was on the Galactica, instead of merely asking two warriors whether they had happened to meet Cassiopeia, Cain would have been better served by getting Corporal Komma to pose a query to the fleet's database as in "Murder on the Rising Star."

So, again, why did they go back to Cain's quarters? Did Apollo ask to see his medal collection? Did Starbuck leave an exceptionally valuable cigar there?

Points will be awarded for creativity. :wink:
Last edited by Hope It Is The Grog on Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

"I may move to the command chamber. I'm sure they're talking about me while I'm in here."
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sufferin ... 2291161676

Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin

Re: What were they doing back on the Pegasus?

Post by Red Eye » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:47 am

I never understand why they cutted it that way in the original TV version.

It works way better in "Mission Galactica". Just my 2 cents.
"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

Hope It Is The Grog
Squadron Leader

Post by Hope It Is The Grog » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:30 am

Agreed. I guess they had two reasons for cutting it... one, because they needed a commercial break, and two, to get that scene closer to the scene of Starbuck and Apollo discussing the love triangle, which starts rather abruptly with Apollo asking "What are you gonna do?" Maybe someone thought Starbuck's reaction in Cain's office was so subtle it would be forgotten if it were too remote. (They may have actually tried to make Starbuck's reaction to the hologram less subtle, because the reaction shots in the two versions are different. In Mission Galactica they show individual close-ups of Starbuck and Apollo, but in The Living Legend they use a two-shot of them exchanging a meaningful glance.)

I'm not sure, but wasn't the whole love triangle de-emphasized somewhat in Mission Galactica?
"I may move to the command chamber. I'm sure they're talking about me while I'm in here."
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sufferin ... 2291161676

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:35 pm

Most likely time frame editing was the cause. I don't recall if I have seen deleted parts that might have filled in those scenes.
Image :cylongold: :cylongold: :cylongold:

Return to “1978 TV Series”