Hope I'm not jumpin' the gun here

Discussions about the 1978 TV & Movie series.
Starbuck
Raider Gunner

Hope I'm not jumpin' the gun here

Post by Starbuck » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:59 am

I hope I'm not jumpin' the gun here, but, I seem to remember that, after watching the 1988 Disney Channel release of 'Earth Star Voyager" I realized that the "Vangaurd Explorer" ship, as seen at the very beginning of the show, bares a striking resemblance to the 2nd to the last Colonial Fleet vessel shown on the intro to every Battle Star Galactica show.

I've been trying to find a clip of it or a pic on the 'Net but ahave been unable to.
I had this movie on tape and have watch it dozens of times (consider it to be a sci fi GEM) but it has been lost by the way side through the years.
I wanted to wait to post this thread until i could see it again, but with my lack of finding a pic, I decided to post anyway, trusting my original memories.
Has anyone else seen this parallell??
Was the Vanguard Explorer INDEED a reused prop from Battle Star?
I could sware that I remember seeing this same ship (or soemthing very similar) in a Star Trek The Next Generation episode.
Again, in the intro to the show (every episode) the 2nd to the last ship shown (before the Colonial Movers) ship (which is unarguably at the very tale end of the fleet according to the intro) is a ship with an inverted triangleular shaped front(bridge) with a windshield.
Indeed the whole ship looks like it is triangular in shape and tapers off from the top middle in both directions toward the "wings".
At the very tips of the wings are some "appendages" that stick up and out.
Just wondered if there is anyone else out there who could have some input on this. (whish I had screen caps).

Galactifan
Flight Leader

Post by Galactifan » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:23 am

I've never heard of it before, but here's the ship you're talking about...

"Earth Star Voyager" opening credits...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFgLL8EN71I

"Earth Star Voyager" promo...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJz6WnXyUWE

Starbuck
Raider Gunner

Re- prop recycle from Battlestar??

Post by Starbuck » Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:35 pm

Thanks Galactifan, but that's NOT the ship i'm talking about.
The intro only shows The 'Voyager herself and not the Vanguard Explorer. I now have the Earth Star Voyager movie on the way here and I will confirm once it arrives as the very first scene in the show (even before the intro) shows the Vanguard Explorer.
Earth Star Voyager was about a group of adolescents and young adults that were sent out on a mission to the planet Demeter, to check if the probe data sent back from it was true and complete. In the movie, the Earth is so polluted in the year 2088, that all humanity was going to move to Demeter, if it was habitable enough, and start over.
Again, Earth Star Voyager was a four part mini series that was shown on the Disney Channel (then called The Wonderful World of Disney) as the "Disney Sunday Night Movie".

This was such an awesome show, that I figured many more scifi fans here on the forums had seen it, especially gold Cylon, and wondered if anyone else saw the similarity between the 'Vanguard Explorer and the ship traveling immediatly in front of the Colonial Movers ship at the tail end of Galactica's Colonial Fleet.

Galactifan
Flight Leader

Post by Galactifan » Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:52 pm

It sounds like a decent movie. I just ordered ordered it.

Starbuck
Raider Gunner

WOW

Post by Starbuck » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:10 pm

Wow! I'm surprized you found it so quickly after just being told about it.
I've been searching for it for YEARS! I finally found it from a guy selling dvd copies from vhs who has an email of Doramius. He is not a pirate he sells them for $10.00 non profit just to cover his expenses. I sent him $10.00 through paypal about a week ago and it arrived today with a shipping cost printed on it of $8.25, so he's not joking.
Also Earth Star Voyager was only aired ONCE and Disney has been contacted numerous times to release it and their reply is "We have no plans to ever re-air it or make it available on vhs or dvd. So these kinds of people is about your only hope of EVER seeing it.
Anyway I just finished watching it and it WAS AWSEOME!
No Cheasyness, like so many movies you remember watching when you were a kid (in awe), then seeing them again 20 years later and they sucked.
Also, I must apologize to the forum: I DID jump the gun. The Vangaurd Explorer, although similar is NOT a recycled prop ship from the Galactica's 2nd to the last trailing fleet ship, as I had thought.
I may have seen that ship somewhere else but I'll have to confirm this time first before posting.

Galactifan
Flight Leader

Post by Galactifan » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:29 am

o.k., I finally got to see Earth Star Voyager. For those who don't know, there's a short version (I watched this first) and a longer version (I watched this second). The short version is a complete waste of time to watch since most of the character development scenes are cut out. I recommend seeing the longer version (if you can sit through it) which origianly aired as a Disney movie-of-the-week back in 1988. The overall movie is not really great and is really geared towards kids (although, even kids are smart enough to know when a movie is bad). They seem to reuse the same few special effect shots of the exterior ship for most of the film and the acting is kind of lame. Anyways, I saw it. Thanks for the info.

Starbuck
Raider Gunner

Post by Starbuck » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:42 pm

Your welcome.

I still percieved the movie as awesome. Mainly because it was exectly the way I remembered it. I guess that an adult now viewing it for the first time, it would seem rather "cheesy"(it was a 1988 Disney attempt at si-fi), but being a kid in 1988 it was totally different than reran Star Trek or Battlestar Gallactica.
It gave kids like me, a lot of inspiration.
The recycled footage of the outside of the ship were mainly a queu to show that the next scene was going to be set on the Voyager, they are no different than the camera zooming on the Galactica's name plate in the exact same scene (most of the time) over and over again to portray the same thing on Battlestar.
Everytime the ship boosted it's engines to take off, it did show the same scene, but remember, this was a low budget pilot that was supposed to be a continuing t.v. series.
This movie is a much sought after film for the kids who originally saw it when it aired. It probably won't be as much interest to adults who never saw it (again, it was a 1988 Disney attempt at sci-fi).

I thought the actors and acting quite good. It had some VERY beautiful young ladys and Captain Jake Brown is certainly a very smart "street wise" and cunning man to look up to. He certainly brought the experience to the young crew that they certainly needed to survive.

Return to “1978 TV Series”