I have some original BSG equipment (sorta)

Discussions about the 1978 TV & Movie series.
Finster
Centurion

I have some original BSG equipment (sorta)

Post by Finster » Fri May 23, 2014 11:55 pm

Since I've been revisiting the original episodes for the first time since I originally saw them as a young lad, I noticed that I actually own some of the same stuff they used throughout the Galactica. At one of my previous jobs they were throwing out some old rack mounted test equipment that was mostly non-working. I took as much of it as I could (they had already trashed a bunch and it was gone). I thought that perhaps I could get some of it working again for just some effort using mix and match parts from what I brought home. Indeed, I did get some of it working and was happy about that. Electronic test equipment is expensive, free is always good even if it is a bit old. If you look at the ending credits it mentions Tektronix equipment. I never realized it was the same stuff when I got it, just noticed it now...

To be clear, I'm not saying I own screen used stuff or any from the show, but just the same brand and models (I think). Anyway, if anyone is interested I could take a picture or two of what I have and upload it.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Re: I have some original BSG equipment (sorta)

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sat May 24, 2014 4:09 pm

Oh yeah! Photos photos photos please. :D
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

goldcylon1
First Centurion

Post by goldcylon1 » Sun May 25, 2014 10:06 pm

Pics please :cylongold:
Goldcylon@cox.net

Finster
Centurion

Post by Finster » Mon May 26, 2014 9:03 am

I had planned to post pictures by now, but I've misplaced my camera. As soon as I find it I will upload some...

Finster
Centurion

Post by Finster » Fri May 30, 2014 12:05 pm

Okay, finally found my camera and took a few pictures. Of course when I tried to load them to my PC my card reader wouldn't read the card from the camera. After trying on and off for a day or two to get it to work, but I ended up buying a new card reader. I wonder if the Cylons have as much electronic problems. :wink: Anyway here are the pictures, sorry they aren't better but the stuff was in a dark corner of my basement and I really didn't feel like carting it upstairs for better lighting. (It's heavy!) It's a modular rack mounted system with a power supply and slots where you can plug/unplug different modules. On the show I can see oscilloscopes, frequency counters, signal generators, digital power supply modules, etc.

I had 2 oscilloscope modules that would fit in the empty space in the first picture, but the tubes were burnt out on both of them (I think one was even on fire at one time) and I either chucked them in the trash or stuffed them in some other box cause I couldn't find them. I'm not 100% certain that it was this model that was used on the show, but it sure looks like it to me. It is made by the same company as listed in the show credits.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Fri May 30, 2014 12:47 pm

:loveit:
You can make a set and a fan film now... HINT! lol

Thanks for the photos, so cool.
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin

Post by Red Eye » Fri May 30, 2014 1:43 pm

Great stuff!

Yeah, would be a great start for a fan film of sorts, like C-K said...
"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Fri May 30, 2014 9:31 pm

All of the Tektronix equipment was returned after the production shut down. I knew a guy that was one of many people that received the incoming returns that work for Tek. He said for the most part the equipment was in good condition, but extremely dusty. Cleaning up the dust took most of the time. Everything was sold off as a refurbished to unknown buyers.

Return to “1978 TV Series”