"Hot pilot doesn't need all that electronic felgercarb.

Discussions about the 1978 TV & Movie series.
Starbuck
Raider Gunner

"Hot pilot doesn't need all that electronic felgercarb.

Post by Starbuck » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:04 am

8) Starbuck certainly had some skill, but seriously, I wanted everyone to discuss their views on the electronics of the ships, namely, the SCANNERS of the Vipers and the Galactica. I for one, have always been impressed with the looks and sounds of the scanners ever since I was a kid. Indeed, the heads up displays of modern fighter craft have an amazing resemblence to the scanners of the show, including off green color. I always liked how the Cylon Raiders showed up as triangles and the Vipers as aterisks ( * ). The sounds/sights of the scanners in the show make up an unforgettable and major impression in my mind and are an inseperable part of Battlestar Gallactica that sets the show apart and makes it unique, in my mind, something that has never been duplicated or has even come close.
I would like to know more about the screens, computer programming and language, and just EXACTLY how they made it work.
It's something that I feel has probably been lost and could never be duplicated again. But, I could be wrong.

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:22 am

I am aware of the setting your talking about, but maybe if you could help others out a bit and post a couple a screen caps to help explain to others what your asking you might get a bit more attention to this question.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:34 pm

I agree, the scanners really helped the show and looked great doing so!

Now that I think about it... didn't it seem sometimes that on the scanners the "triangle raiders" were coming from the bottom, traveling up - other times they seem to be traveling left to right, etc. etc. I guess this was in relation the the direction of the ship doing the scanning??? I don't have my DVDs with me to research - where they that attentive to detail?
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

Starbuck
Raider Gunner

detail

Post by Starbuck » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:42 am

Yes, my opinion, they were VERY accurate to detail in what they wanted to portray, not only the scanners, but also which way the ships were shown flying (from right to left Away from the Galactica, from left to right back towards her) this can easily be seen in the last episode "The Hand Of God" watch it sometime!!! :D

Return to “1978 TV Series”