Building cylon from rough cut Kropserkel kit

Tips, tricks, inside secrets, help, sources, items used on making the Cylon Centurion suit to wear. Tell us your story, how you came about collecting your parts to a Centurion, or if you own a complete Centurion costume.
GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:10 am

SiR-ROUND wrote:Great to see this build!

Indeed weird they don't trim before chroming??? :?
That is very easy answer why they don't trim it before they chrome it. Labor cost, no labor time or cost when they send it out to be chromed in a single large sheet over being detailed out. Also is is much easier to chrome a large piece than having to secure every little piece at a time, over just one of two clip holding the sheet down, or maybe even taped down. I am also looking at the finished surface and edges wondering if a chromed sheet is being used then formed.

SiR-ROUND

Post by SiR-ROUND » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:48 am

Ah cheers, that makes sense in a production point of view.

Their chrome does look well, so maybe indeed they do use some kind of chromed sheet? Is there such a thing?

CinnamonToast
Centurion

Post by CinnamonToast » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:52 am

My kit wasn't really cut at all so there wasn't a choice. The uncut armor goes for about $600 right now. It's starting to look pretty good with the automotive door trim around the edges.

I've got one more day to complete the build before DragonCon. It won't be exactly how I want it, but should be good enough for some partying.

nashslash
Flight Leader

Post by nashslash » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:37 am

CinnamonToast wrote:I've got one more day to complete the build before DragonCon. It won't be exactly how I want it, but should be good enough for some partying.
Great.. Be sure to post some pictures.
www.battlefield-online.net

CinnamonToast
Centurion

Post by CinnamonToast » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:52 pm

Here's the first picture, nearly complete.

http://jong.smugmug.com/gallery/5714049 ... 3331_KLvY5

Having some trouble keeping the shoulder pieces attached. I'm trying to add buttons and velcro to make it solid, but the material of the suit is flimsy, so buttons don't work very well. Maybe a nail gun into my shoulder, that would hold the damn thing ;)

It's tough to make the neck piece fit quite right also. I think it sticks out a little too far, and maybe the cuts up into the piece for my shoulders should be deeper.

CinnamonToast
Centurion

Post by CinnamonToast » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:11 pm

Update with a few pictures made by someone else.

http://jong.smugmug.com/gallery/5714049 ... 1610_UQmRP

Now it's really almost done. Just need to add the stickers, and secure my velcro a little better with some big staples. I'm also going to add some padding around the top edges of the boots where it seems to rub against my legs. I'm sure that would cause a problem after walking all day.

I solved the issue of the shoulder pieces with buttons. I used a piece of industrial strength velcro, drilled a hole in the middle of it, stuck it to the inside of the costume to reinforce the area around the hole in the suit, then installed the button. I also used velcro around the inside of the shoulder pieces for a little extra stick. They seem pretty solid now.

I think it's looking pretty good now. I may be the only Cylon at DragonCon, last year there were none.

CinnamonToast
Centurion

Post by CinnamonToast » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:29 am

SiR-ROUND

Post by SiR-ROUND » Sun Aug 31, 2008 3:39 pm

Did she dull that chrome finish with that bracelet?

:wink:

Return to “Centurion Builders' Forum”