Problem painting the rubber parts of the boots

Tips, tricks, inside secrets, help, sources, items used on making the Cylon Centurion suit to wear. Tell us your story, how you came about collecting your parts to a Centurion, or if you own a complete Centurion costume.
ChromePoet
Spare Parts

Problem painting the rubber parts of the boots

Post by ChromePoet » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:42 am

My first centurion project is in full speed, but now I ran into trouble when painting the rubber soles of the boots: the paint is flaking off! :frak:

The question: how do you generally paint the rubber soles? The same silver-matte -spray as the leather parts? I did so, and the leather parts of my Engineer-style boots have now the fine cylonic patches, and at first the rubber parts appeared to hold the paint well, but now that the paint has dried it easily flakes off.

So, should I use primer first, or is my almost translucent sole-rubber the wrong kind?

Surely the soles are not the first thing a spectator observes when encountering a shining killer robot, but I would know, and that is just killing me - if you know what I mean.. :wink:

GoldCylon
Founder

Re: Problem painting the rubber parts of the boots

Post by GoldCylon » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:18 am

A few people have taken a light sandpaper to the surface to scuff it up, but I thinking about try next time myself a spray on glue then after it dries try the paint.
Image :cylongold: :cylongold: :cylongold:

mowingcowboy
Spare Parts

Re: Problem painting the rubber parts of the boots

Post by mowingcowboy » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:18 pm

Try using silver nail polish worked for me. Hard as nails xtreme wear nail color vernis a angles 4860-13. I got mine at walgreens.

Return to “Centurion Builders' Forum”