Another UK Cylon Goes into Production

Tips, tricks, inside secrets, help, sources, items used on making the Cylon Centurion suit to wear. Tell us your story, how you came about collecting your parts to a Centurion, or if you own a complete Centurion costume.
GoldCylon
Founder

Re: Another UK Cylon Goes into Production

Post by GoldCylon » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:29 pm

Man you have kicked it up a notch. Nice progress, and great looking details.

Hand-Schaub
First Centurion

Post by Hand-Schaub » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:00 pm

Cool! And I see the sword laying there looking pretty mean!

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:10 am

Love it! AND the makeshift weight ;)
:byyourcommand:
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin

Post by Red Eye » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:52 am

Good work so far! :salute:
"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

jclayman99
Raider Commander

Another UK Cylon Goes into Production

Post by jclayman99 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:34 pm

Nice work
If "they" say it can't be done, it just means "they" cant do it.
JCLAY

ross0379
Citizen

Post by ross0379 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:33 pm

Was up for more work today but was the brother in laws 40th last night so couldnt get in the zone today for another mass sanding session. Here's a brief re-cap on the suit so far....

A long way to go yet but it's good to be able to piece together the jigsaw a little.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:56 pm

ross0379
Citizen

Post by ross0379 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:13 pm

Okay, so I thought about what I want to do with the costume and decided when on display I need a display only helmet which in time I'm planning to fit with the expensive motion senser eye piece. For wearing out and about I need a new costume only helmet.

Yes this is the more common two half shells which I picked up on Ebay from StarbuckCylon last month for around $80 incl PP. Where to start?
Well I cunningly decided to glue shell a and b together using some spare Styrene cut into strips left over from the armour kit as a support right down the middle.

Back to the filler again

Sanded, still needs a little sanding over the eye lense edges and round where the mouth grill will fit.

As they say two heads are better then one!

Next up, sword sheath.
I have been putting this part off for a while as I knew gluing this together was going to be tricky seeing as there isnt much of a flat surface to stick each side flush. In the end I went for it and just had to overlap each side of the sheath slightly and let the filler so the rest. Took a while but came together reasonably well eventually.

Finshing touches to some of the armour pieces that needed a little TLC after my previous sanding session. I've discovered a problem with the "No Nails" glue I've been using throughout this project. Filler does not bond to anysurfaces that has even a slight a layer of glue as after a while the filler softens the glue away from the styrene and the filler just breaks away. Has been a bit of a theme for this project from the start so has been a long learning curve and plenty of re-filling to get over these hurdles. Have conquered it now though.

Re-cap on all finished parts awating priming (minus the first helmet of course)

Boot Boxes underway, these require no filling as I'm going for the stick either side to the Cylon Boot motive with velcro when their ready. I've size 13uk feet so doubt I'll get my hooves through them if I assembeld them together with glue and filler. Bonus of using no filler here is that I can work on these inside the house as no filler dust cloud. Belt Boxes also finishig up too.

So thats is for now, next up will be the priming spray job, going to have to wait for a mild windless day to do this outside which is a bit of a bugger as entering November but it's been a funny year weatherwise so heres hoping a good day comes soon!

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:56 pm

VEEEEERY NICE!
Great update. Thanks!

ross0379
Citizen

Post by ross0379 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:39 pm

Hi

Long time, so much has happened I've had to shelve the Centurion for the past year and a bit.
Sold my apartment, moved into my partners brothers spare room, got engaged, bought a house renovations, renovations renovations and finally we moved in. Then Christmas and all that one thing after another

Going to crack on this this New Year with the project which is currently stored away in my new garden shed.

Sadly due to budgeting issues I'm going for a quick fix here with some chrome spray paint. My first Cylon helmet has had 2 coats of grey primer, last week I had a decent black gloss delivered and a "Chrome spray paint" which is meant to come up to 90% chrome. (We'll see how this comes out). I need to get this thing done.

Purchased a 6Ft Mannequin to work off. This thing is going to be imposing.

I'll post some progress pics but my webshots account is down hence why all my links are knackered on here. I'll re-post these as soon as Webshots becomes available.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:30 pm

Glad to hear the Centurion is still on the "to do" list. Hope you like the new house! I'm sure it will be a fine home for an Evil Cylon ;)
Looking forward to more when you pick the project back up!

ross0379
Citizen

Post by ross0379 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:53 am

Today thought I'd finally get round to trying out the budget Chrome Spray Paint idea.

Here's the under coat

Then the High Black Gloss spray paint

Then using this, advertised as being able to reach up to 90% Mirror Chrome effect on Ebay

First coat of Chrome Spray paint

Note my Home Bar I've also been working on today giving it it's final coat of varnish :D

Second coat

Conclusion....
Not as bad as I actually thought it might turn out to be honest. This model was never perfect as it's been hanging around the shed for the last 18 months so has warped a bit in the heat and has a few imperfections. I just wanted to give this method a spin before letting loose on my decent Cylon kit. For budget reasons I'd consider going the whole hog with this but it's never 90% mirror chrome. More like 60%.

I still think a full armour kit in this chrome effect may look pretty reasonable but obviously not for the purist. I'll have to consider the spend on a proper plate job next year. Halloween costume may be delayed another year.

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:48 pm

It has a nice luster to it and I might rate it a bit higher than 60%. Does that method of plating need a clear coat.
Image :cylongold: :cylongold: :cylongold:

rustycylon
Squadron Leader

Post by rustycylon » Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:43 pm

we need more uk cylons :cylon:

Return to “Centurion Builders' Forum”