What inspired the Cylons?

Discussions about the 1978 TV & Movie series.
RavenLX
Raider Pilot

What inspired the Cylons?

Post by RavenLX » Thu May 02, 2013 9:00 pm

I always wondered what inspired the Cylons? Did they take some ideas from Roman and Greek military armor, etc? Or was it some vision or dream that someone fashioned the Cylons from? I've heard that Disney movies were based on Walt Disney's actual dreams, for example. How did the whole Cylon design come about?

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Re: What inspired the Cylons?

Post by Cylon-Knight » Thu May 02, 2013 9:59 pm

The helmet design was to base it on a skull... Which it does resemble.
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

RavenLX
Raider Pilot

Post by RavenLX » Fri May 03, 2013 6:34 am

Woa. Whose skull I wonder? Wicked! I don't know why they didn't use a skull - that would have been bada$$. Probably back in those days it would have been too scary? I don't know though, they had late-night horror type characters on TV back then anyway. The helmet looks a bit Greek to me: bit.ly/YrE436

The red eye thing was ingenious! Glad they carried that over to Knight Rider.

Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin

Post by Red Eye » Fri May 03, 2013 6:57 am

"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

RavenLX
Raider Pilot

Post by RavenLX » Fri May 03, 2013 1:46 pm

Thanks Red Eye! That definitely is required reading! Amazing how they came about the final design and they done really well on that. I always loved the Classic Cylon look over the new one.

I also found this out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cylon_of_Athens

There was a Greek noble named "Cylon" who was exiled in Greece! I wonder if they knew of that when they made the Cylons! Pretty interesting connection!

Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin

Post by Red Eye » Fri May 03, 2013 2:53 pm

"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

RavenLX
Raider Pilot

Post by RavenLX » Fri May 03, 2013 5:10 pm

Just got done reading it. Cool and interesting stuff! Seems like they were trying to recycle some of the work they previously done and adding Greek and Roman elements as well as "insect" or "reptile" elements. Very creative ideas.

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Sat May 04, 2013 12:07 pm

The name of the enemy race was Cylon, and the development of the character took place before the concept design level took place. The battle units were called Centurions as named from the Roman times. With that information in hand Andrew Propert studied pictures of a Roman Centurion to help base his design of the Cylon Centurion. The Roman Centurion having a raised Mohawk. Then to even help further help the cross over design of the Cylon Centurion he then studied the Cylon Raider model. All ready designed, and built to help incorporate some of the features into the Cylon suit, and that was he used the canopy louvers into the chest, and the mouth grill.

RavenLX
Raider Pilot

Post by RavenLX » Sat May 04, 2013 2:06 pm

Cool! Thanks for the extra info. That is one bada$$ looking helmet, I admit! BTW, I don't know but I read where the Mohawk Indians actually never wore their hair that way. How the "Mohawk" haircut got called that I have no idea, actually. LOL! But it is a cool look. I actually sported one myself at one time long time ago (it was red). They are difficult to keep up as you have to shave your head frequently. And you have to keep your scalp from peeling, blistering or getting razor burn. But I do like the look. I think it's perfect for a machine!

I now am going to start taking this even further in wondering what inspired the Roman and Greek armor. They do seem similar (some of the Greeks also had a 'hawk head helmet, I think).

Return to “1978 TV Series”