Chroming a cylon

Tips, tricks, inside secrets, help, sources, items used on making the Cylon Centurion suit to wear. Tell us your story, how you came about collecting your parts to a Centurion, or if you own a complete Centurion costume.
Darth-Malevelus
Citizen

Chroming a cylon

Post by Darth-Malevelus » Sun May 06, 2007 6:42 am

Ok, I have the resources to make a set of centurion armor for next to nothing now. But the big and Im sure expensive question, is how to get all that armor chromed.

Ive heard of vacuum metalizing, but theres no way my wife is gonna allow me to afford such an expensive endeavor.

So spill the bean here there has to be a reasonably affordable way to do this and have it look good!

Ive heard of mirrachrome paint, which is decent, yet not as good as the chrome look. And its still expensive something like 200 bucks per 4oz.

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Sun May 06, 2007 11:32 am

I have a higher standard to keep true to the effect of what a chromed Cylon should be like. I did dapple in other methods till I bought a ChromeFX system from Alsa Corp. That is a true as life chrome, and to a degree better than the vacuum metal , because of the waste left behind, and it does tarnish over a period of time. In short a true chrome luster isn't going to be cheap, but you can buy things like Mirra Chrome, but it is more like a brushed finish, more than chrome. It isn't easy to work with, and does cost a few dollars per oz. The Alsa Killer Cans are maybe the next best thing, but that isn't cheap either. That might run you about $300 - $500 to chrome a Cylon , and you need painting skills, good skills, not just OK with with a can of spay paint. The clear coat finish is what makes or breaks the finished result. I haven't heard anyone report back GOOD results from the Killer Cans yet, nor any bad results. I have talked with Steve the painter that works for Alsa about this Killer Can system, and it in most cases is a good system for smaller one time projects, and you can't be a rookie. So can you depart with up to $500 with just OK , or even poor results, maybe the Ginnie Pig on this Killer Can chrome system?
I would love to hear from someone that has bought it, used, and would be glad to show off the finished results.

Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin

Post by Red Eye » Sun May 06, 2007 11:54 am

My Cylon was painted with the mirror chrome-paint.

The result can be seen in the "Fan made Cylon"-folder.

http://byyourcommand.net/photogallery/F ... /Z1?full=1

C1-978
Patrol Leader

Post by C1-978 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:17 pm

Hey Red Eye, where did you get the mirror chrome-paint. How do you apply it? Is it in spray can form? Cost?

And Dale....did you ever hear back on the quality of the Alscorp paint? How many cans will it take?

Sorry about all the questions..... :D

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:35 pm

The tape I have placed an order, just waiting to see how much it is, and when it will be in. One of my customers has the chrome tape.
As for the paint, well if your talking about the Alsa Killer Cans. I have talked to them about it, but I think it runs about $125 a can, and it covers about the same amount as a regular can of spray paint. It is tricky, don't let the demo video fool you. You need good painting skills, and at $125 a can, they can be a costly try. Sure the paint might go on pretty, just the clear coat is where you will bite it. It is the same with all their products, the clear coat is the hardest part, and the last batch I used it ran very hot, came out like a spider web. A chromed Cylon with a spider web would not be what your looking for.

C1-978
Patrol Leader

Post by C1-978 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:44 pm

I guess I will have a cylon that was stored in a wet damp chamber who became tarnished and gray with time! LOL! :evil:

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:47 pm

I think with time your Cylon will be the next gold colored Cylon. Vulpa will rise once more

C1-978
Patrol Leader

Post by C1-978 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:54 pm

...or perhaps a metallic purple?

C1-978
Patrol Leader

Post by C1-978 » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:57 pm

I think I will wrap the armor in aluminum foil....then smooth it out..... :twisted:

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:33 pm

Any takers on an original screen used helmet? One for sale soon, price to be posted later.

cybertrooper
Raider Pilot

Post by cybertrooper » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:55 am

GoldCylon wrote:Any takers on an original screen used helmet? One for sale soon, price to be posted later.
So Dale, did you ever get a decent offer - and did you end up selling?
As the last screen used went for what, $55,000, I would say that it would have to be worth between $5-10,000 (depending on condition and function), perhaps more.

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:36 am

Hey guys
Man I forgot all about posting the helmet price. It did sell pretty quick. It was a Red Eye screen used helmet. It didn't have the electronics for the eye. The original asking price was $10,000, but sold in a few days for $6,000.
As for my Cylon, that wasn't my Cylon, but $55K is a outstanding price.

Return to “Centurion Builders' Forum”