Colonial One (produced by Fantastic Plastic)

The models you built, and studio scaled miniatures
cylon75
Phalanx Member

Colonial One (produced by Fantastic Plastic)

Post by cylon75 » Sun May 01, 2011 7:14 am

This is the Colonial One produced by Fantastic Plastic. Its a good kit but has a few issues, the casting could be better and updated but over all its not to bad. The ship is 10"" long when done and it rotocast if you wanted to light it , but lighting the head section would not be easy because of the size and I'm not lighting something unless i can light every thing that i want so that's why I didn't.
The modification's that i did on this are: 1st I made the windows along the front edges square in stead of round like they come The round windows are not in a straight line at all. I also added windows to the ship that are missing and I redid the window shape for front cockpit ,than i added antennas to the top cross over piece and the lower head of the ship.
The model comes with decals but not enough to do all of the ship between the blue and white of the ship so i had to paint that and that wasn't easy either other wise it is how it comes. One more note It takes much better pictures in a space background than not. Thanks for looking.

Its place in the collection:

GoldCylon
Founder

Re: Colonial One (produced by Fantastic Plastic)

Post by GoldCylon » Sun May 01, 2011 9:19 am

For all the little issues you did a pretty bang up job. It looks great. As for the windows do you thing maybe they made them round for the ease of just drilling them out, over have to cut a square out? Just a thought. Also I guess I never noticed how the engine cowlings spread away from the engine. Looks like they are made to fold in maybe for a FLT jump. Now did you ever notice any type of landing bay in the build? If you recall Apollo in the mini series went down into the landing bay to set off that device to fool the Cylons, and I never saw or heard any mention of a landing bay ever since then. Your builds look great with the rest of the fleet.

cylon75
Phalanx Member

Post by cylon75 » Sun May 01, 2011 10:00 am

GoldCylon wrote:For all the little issues you did a pretty bang up job. It looks great. As for the windows do you thing maybe they made them round for the ease of just drilling them out, over have to cut a square out? Just a thought. Also I guess I never noticed how the engine cowlings spread away from the engine. Looks like they are made to fold in maybe for a FLT jump. Now did you ever notice any type of landing bay in the build? If you recall Apollo in the mini series went down into the landing bay to set off that device to fool the Cylons, and I never saw or heard any mention of a landing bay ever since then. Your builds look great with the rest of the fleet.
I believe the windows were designed before a lot was known about the ship the master to this is several years old and was only re-released for sale recently and is probably a product of what they thought was the shape at that time. The ship was originally a solid cast and the window were still round.As for a landing bay your guess is as good as mine nothing that would give you any ideas on where that may be. Probably a glitch in the show seeing that was from the mini series and they hadn't thought about making it a show yet.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sun May 01, 2011 6:04 pm

You've done it again, cylon75! EXCELLENT WORK!
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

Return to “Models and Filming Miniatures”