Sound Like A Cylon

This is a help forum to build your classic series props and costumes.
cyberpred
Citizen

Sound Like A Cylon

Post by cyberpred » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:37 am

What do you guys recommend for a voice module to make you sound like a Cylon?

Cary :cylon:

Image[img]

GoldCylon
Founder

Re: Sound Like A Cylon

Post by GoldCylon » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:18 am

No one really has a great Cylon like voice off. I assume you want it for trooping? A cheap Halloween toy voice changer. Nothing else comes close that isn't over the top in cost, and is still off a lot. I have a old voice changer I have used, but liked the play back better. Not many people ask questions that your guild can't answer or just posing with others for photos.
ChrisB offers a CD of original new sound files for sale of random comments, or a conversation between a chrome, and command centurion.

137th Gebirg
Flight Leader

Post by 137th Gebirg » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:32 pm

There was one guy I know of, I only know him as "Sandy", with the alias "Two-Brained Cylon" over at Colonial Fleets, who made the most accurate-sounding Cylon voice since TOS. Puts the ones they used in Caprica and Razor to complete shame. He made several voice-only audio stories based on the fall of the Colonies during the Holocaust, and a Colonial Citizen who was captured in the attack and tortured/experimented on by Lucifer. The effects that were used were dead-on.

I would start there...
I may appear unoccupied to you, but at the molecular level, I'm really quite busy.

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:47 am

I haven't heard of any of Sandy's work before. I need to email him, and see what his samples sound like compared to my YouTube posting.

137th Gebirg
Flight Leader

Post by 137th Gebirg » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:13 pm

Update - his name is Russell Sanders. Unfortunately, all his audio stories seem to have disappeared from the web and he hasn't been too active in a while. Sad that they're gone - they were really quite good.
I may appear unoccupied to you, but at the molecular level, I'm really quite busy.

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:22 pm

137th Gebirg wrote:Update - his name is Russell Sanders. Unfortunately, all his audio stories seem to have disappeared from the web and he hasn't been too active in a while. Sad that they're gone - they were really quite good.
Yes "Sandy" and I have spoken many times, and thinking about after the last posting I have talked with him about the Cylon voice, and he heard this file, and he did say this was a better sounding Cylon. Unfortunately the guy that made sound file, and myself are no longer friends.

Cy
Raider Commander

Post by Cy » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:22 pm

GoldCylon wrote:
137th Gebirg wrote:Update - his name is Russell Sanders. Unfortunately, all his audio stories seem to have disappeared from the web and he hasn't been too active in a while. Sad that they're gone - they were really quite good.
Yes "Sandy" and I have spoken many times, and thinking about after the last posting I have talked with him about the Cylon voice, and he heard this file, and he did say this was a better sounding Cylon. Unfortunately the guy that made sound file, and myself are no longer friends.
Well thats unpleasant. I find you to be a very nice chap and quite friendly. Shame when things turn.

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:46 am

Cy wrote:Well thats unpleasant. I find you to be a very nice chap and quite friendly. Shame when things turn.
Yes it was a surprise how he lashed out at me since I did so much for him over a 2-3 year period, and I asked for so little in return that you could count on 1 hand my request from him.

Spectre
Patrol Leader

Post by Spectre » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:05 am

Another necro-thread I'm bumping to add useful info.
Achieving a convincing cylon voice is easier than most think.
Of course, a computer-based generator is easier with the neat new software like cyclonix. For mobile applications, there are a few options.
As most of you know, the original tone was generated by an EMS 5000 vocoder For those of you that have no idea how it works, here's the short layman's version. There are two audio inputs going into the vocoder: 1--your voice, 2--a note generated by the onboard synthesizer (keyboard). Both signals go into the vocoder's Processing circuits. In there, you adjust things like pitch, rate, decay, delay, and most important--mix percentage (your voice + synthesized note). You really want to have at least 50-50, or higher on the note ratio--just don't over do it. You can also play around with the keyboard note to find one that sounds good. That's what they did with gold cylon. Anyway, the synthesized and mixed out put is the end result. The problems are--1. The EMS 5000 is very expensive, if you can find one. 2. It's not small or light enough to tuck into your cylon belt or under an armor plate.

Here are 2 solutions.
1. Build a Pico PC small enough to hide in your armor--output the signal to a powered speaker ala the current 501st troopers, Fetts and Cadets.
2. Vociferated are small now--the size of a guitar effects pedal. Add microphone and a tone generator and output to powered speaker.

Hope that helps...
Oh, FRACK! But I didn't say frack, I said the Queen Mother of all dirty words! The F, dash, dash, dash, dash word!

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:20 pm

^ Great info!

Hummmmm I'm going to have to give some of it a whirl!
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

Return to “Classic Battlestar Props and Costumes”