Cylon citizen mask old and new info - Hand-schaub

Who are they!? The little known Cylon Civilians - build threads and info on the Citizens of our mighty Cylon Empire can be found here.
Hand-Schaub
First Centurion

Re: Images wanted for Cylon citizen mask (new build)

Post by Hand-Schaub » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:23 am

Thanks Zeta - I was looking in the momentary switch section but nothing had the pins on the side. Those look really close! Hopefully I can find a suitable match here in town.

About the blobs on the top and under the eye of the mask - looking at the Buck pictures I believe they are the same type of thing as the existing one on the left side of the face (looking towards it). I thought it was a micro tube junction but is it possible those are three small screw heads used to crimp down wires? I saw something similar the other day but not small enough.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:18 pm

I just had a thought - the original lights for the Citizens didn't work (light up) in either Buck show... and I THINK I saw a green light on one of the Citizens in The Living Legend, I'll have to re-watch it CLOSER :shock:.
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

Hand-Schaub
First Centurion

Post by Hand-Schaub » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:23 pm

Here are some parts I bought. They are mostly for the circuit board. Resistors are a bit different in shape now unless there are different types. I ignored any coding on the resistors as they are painted anyways. The resistors are packaged perfectly as there are 6 1/2w needed and 2 1w needed for the mask. So far I have about $11 in parts for one civilian. I assume the crossover button and other parts will make it to the $20 mark. Sucky part is that one really needs to buy these parts new as they need the 'stems' on them. It would be easy to find a lot of these parts from old computer systems.

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:40 pm

I see that one the resistor package it say Flameproof. I wonder if the Cylons used that brand as the Vipers flew down and took them out...... :lol:

Hand-Schaub
First Centurion

Post by Hand-Schaub » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:41 am

The new styles of resistors must be flame proof because it sure didn't help all those Cylons getting smoked. Speaking of new styles - we have to remeber that even small electronics change styles. YOu can no longer find those perfect cylinder type resistors. The new ones are rounded like the ones pictured. It's a small detail that in the big scheme of things wont matter too much... but we are hair splitters at times

So BIG update - as far as greeblies go! I went to the local mom and pop electrical store and found some good items. In particular the Momentary snap action switch! This is the cheek detail which I thought was a micro hose connector. I thought this because the three nubs are cylindrical or at very least rounded. Turns out they are older style wire connectors. Problem is that the new style of this product has the spade or flat wire connectors like this:

At the store today I saw a display that has been around for a long time. It had a much older style as the sample. I simply asked the owner if I could buy a new style and he could replace the product on the sample board. So the piece cost me over $7 bucks but I think it was kind of wworth it seeing that it has older connectors on it. I will be molding this piece so that I can make multiple of the 'more' correct piece.
here it is!

Next is the lower right push button. Pretty darn close except that the center portion on the newer type Vs square versus rounded. Not too big of a deal. It has the six prongs and the spring witht he notched top. Close enough for now unless anybody else can find a more accurate one.

Finally the bulb under the round male plug are neon bulbs. They are slightly larger than Christmas light bulbs (which would work just fine) but at $.70 why not have the correct one.

Tomorrow I am sculpting and vacu-forming the prototype mask!

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:47 am

:loveit:

Hand-Schaub
First Centurion

Post by Hand-Schaub » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:32 am

Okay - perhaps it's the Ambrosia but I'm working late tonight with some screen cap goodness.

CK - I reviewed the scenes again and there are some good points you bring up. First the "mouth! I agree, the 10x19 is the mouth (which what seems like a white unpainted capacitor)

it also seems the blue is painted pretty high up to the ridge of the gold

These images also show that the lights are clear

But I see what scene you mean when you saw the green:

when the Gold Cylon announces Imp Leader it is green - a lens distortion I believe. Next frame shows a white light and what looks to be a very familiar salute:

and last but not least - as it has been seen before - the kick @$$ civi with a gun

Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin

Post by Red Eye » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:37 am

All you guys have done a GREAT research job!

And congratulations for finding the first parts making the greeblies for the mask, Hand-Schaub!

I'm really looking forward for the next progress!
"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

Red Eye

Post by Red Eye » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:44 am

Hand-Schaub wrote:when the Gold Cylon announces Imp Leader it is green - a lens distortion I believe. Next frame shows a white light and what looks to be a very familiar salute:

In my eyes, it would have been better if all assembled Cylons had saluted to the Imperious Leader like this single Civilian.

The saluting Civi also wears the second version of the robe, by the way...
"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:19 am

WoW the Cylon citizen used a rifle.....I had no idea.....yeah the build is coming along also :-)

Hand-Schaub
First Centurion

Post by Hand-Schaub » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:20 pm

Small update.

I sculpted a temporary vac tool so I can cast a more permanent buck. It was a very BAD vacu-form day. I didn't care about the webbing as the pulls are being used for molds. What does bother me is that because it was solid clay I used as the temporary tooling I couldn't get suction assisting holes in the face portion. I am left with weak pulls that will require a lot of additional work when I get it cast in plaster or fiberglass. Anyways - at least it was some progress. Oh the two pulls are different sizes. The lower one is enlarged as it was my original sculpt. The facing top one is smaller in scale because I attempted a different approach to it. I kind of think the smaller one is more correct. Fear not - these will be much better when I can do more work to the tooling.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:37 pm

Awesome work! Looks like you were making snowmen like we were today with all the snow outside :)

Love the update, looking forward to more.
:byyourcommand:

GoldCylon
Founder

Images wanted for Cylon citizen mask (new build)

Post by GoldCylon » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:04 am

Wouldn't a cut in the eye area help with the pull? The one trimmed up top look nice.
Image :cylongold: :cylongold: :cylongold:

Red Eye

Post by Red Eye » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:26 am

Thanks for the update.

I like it already!

groupleaderzeta
Squadron Leader

Post by groupleaderzeta » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:02 pm

Hello everyone,

Looking good

groupleaderzeta

Return to “Civilian Builders' Forum”