Cylon citizen mask old and new info - Hand-schaub

Who are they!? The little known Cylon Civilians - build threads and info on the Citizens of our mighty Cylon Empire can be found here.
Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Re: Images wanted for Cylon citizen mask (new build)

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:09 pm

Here they are!
Image Image
Left: yes, it is Anne "Sheba" Lockhart. Right: The Citizen Robe is used a lot, the original and some modified ones the are all at the "Festival of the Masks" at the City By The Sea (in the location that was once known as New Orleans... so the Festival must be the future of Mardi Gras.
Right: Close up of the robe

Image Image
Left: There IS a Citizen robe in this pic, but I'm not looking at it either... ;) Right: Yes, there is a re-used I.L. Series robe.

Image Image
Left/Right: Re-used I.L. Series robe. This is really a great sequence for this costume, they have a fight and you can see it from many angles and the back too.

Image Image
Left: Re-used I.L. Series robe. Right the Citizen robe once more.

And finally the Citizen's face on worker drones. ^ THIS PIC LINKS TO A LARGE VERSION.
(If you want large versions of the other pics, PM me.)

"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

Hand-Schaub
First Centurion

Post by Hand-Schaub » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:01 pm

Excellent! Thanks again to everybody who is contributing. I'm excited about this project. I have a face mask that my friend made to do a THX cop. It will serve as the perfect base for the mask.

What I can see from the Buck Rogers screen cap is that the masks were different - which is expected. So if one mask doesn't have all the greeblies or variations then that would be okay. It looks like there were 'plates' above the eye scanner that now is just a blob of glue - question is was this kind of thing pre or post BSG? I think we can tell what most parts are through the auction photos too. I started:

By next weekend I should have a face mask pulled in styrene to start with the alterations

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:13 am

Keep in mind too - that photo has a "broken nose" ... the computer board is a bit too low and crooked...
Here my take on the info I can see from your pic/analysis - plus some info I have from other images and G-14 classified sources :twisted:

Knob/button - yeah like something off of a radio

Spring - yeah all stretched out

Lights - yeah they were both white and blinked back and fourth at a slow pace

Resistors (small) - two out of three... the bottom/left one is actually a bulb - I'd use a "mini christmas light bulb" for it and then the wires go up into the circle holes of the male plug

Resistor medium - yeah - top down yellow blue purpleish green yellow

Resistor Large - yeah - big fat silver one (painted gold of course)
(the small resistor next to it looks like red blue orange red blue)

Microchips - yeah - 7 pins on a side and they are sitting on black "row/holder deals" then on the board.

Power Plug (male) - yeah

Button (w/spring)?
- yeah, this seems like a push button switch assembly

Micro hose junction - I guess, I don't know what that is myself

Computer board (10x19 hole) - yeah
(Above the computer board the Resistors and such sit on some sort of elevated plate of something... I can't make out what it could be.)

Some kind of clip or handle from latch - yeah like on a window

Breathing holes - yes, there are two sets.
1. The one you have in the photo there - 7 holes sorta in a smile pattern
2. Ones not pictured are on the "chin" - in the blue - three rows, 7 on the outmost row, then 6 then 5 on the neck side like the below pattern BUT CENTERED ON EACH OTHER (I can't quite get it exact with the text and spacing of these periods):

Code: Select all

[chin is on this end]
.  .  .  .  .  .  .
  .  .  .  .  .  .
    .  .  .  .  .

[neck is down this way]

Hand-Schaub
First Centurion

Post by Hand-Schaub » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:26 am

"nose" looks to be a custom job - at least one I can come up with. Kind of a curved dish sort of thing

My thought is that the computer board was the chips that controlled the eye lights - hence the wires being necessary.

Not quiet getting the mini bulb you are referring to...

Hand-Schaub
First Centurion

Post by Hand-Schaub » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:31 am

never mind - figured out the bulb thing...

about the darkened 'mouth" area - do you guys think it was a preexisting thing or is that a female power socket I see?

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:09 am

My idea is that there used to be something there... and it is gone. Also on one of the upper cheeks there is a spot of gold that looks like there used to be something there and is missing now... could just be the years taking a toll and something fell off???

Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin

Post by Red Eye » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:57 am

Thanks for looking at the episodes again, CK!

If my IL-Series Cylon ever becomes reality, I'd go for the Gamoray-version of the robe (since it might be the easiset version to achieve because who knows what exact what kind of fabric where used to make Lucifer's red robe).

Okay, back to topic: Great to see you've started identifying the electronic parts on the mask! I think it shouldn't take long before we can see the first results!
"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:34 am

Also, on the Citizen...
The "eye" slit - it seems that it is just totally open? No cover at all. That worked for the show with the dark lighting and "background" performance of the Citizens on Gamoray just fine.

However, what will we want to do with that for trooping? If you were to wear the mask / robe on Halloween, for example, with a big huge slit where everyone could see your eyes seems pretty lame.

Hand-Schaub
First Centurion

Post by Hand-Schaub » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:07 pm

a smoked lens would do just fine... make it red for consistency sake.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:59 pm

P.S. I forgot to mention when I was getting the second round of cap from Buck Rogers...

When Buck tries to get on flight 409 at the Space Port and the security guard tells him no

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:06 pm

The more I look at it, the surviving screen used citizens are really worn and have parts missing. That "spot" where the mouth should be should have something there I'm sure after looking over The Living Legend again - the citizens had "mouth" type stuff on the masks....

It is clear the Buck Rogers masks were changed A LOT. Could be the some of the masks were maybe "restored" (in part) from a Buck re-use?

AND - on top of that I'm not too sure if all the Citizens were identical... oh my.

I think the 10x19 board should be "the mouth."
When the Command Cylon is announcing that the Imperious Leader will be there soon, you can see some citizens from the side, it is definitely in the mouth area.

Hand-Schaub
First Centurion

Post by Hand-Schaub » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:01 am

I agree. As I had said before the images from Buck Rogers even have the masks with variations. It is undoubtedly worn from time. The blobs indicate old items as do the "cross" pieces on the blobs. The 'mouth' would make sense to have something there - I kind of doubt the 10x19 part hung from the nose. But it's all speculation. For now I went and picked up what parts I could ID from the electronic store. This weekend I hope to make it to a more specialized store to ID more parts. I will share pictures of parts and hat they are tomorrow or so.

I believe the 10x19 circuit board controlled the LEDs. There are wires going to it that go into the mask. Would any of our resident electronic experts be able to dissect the electronics and determine if they are indeed practical?

Overall I think I will be producing a 'generic' citizen close to what we know and what makes sense. In kit form one can embellish the mask and personalize as they see fit. It's fun to get into the mind set of the original prop makers and try to create a 'robot' out of all this crap.

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:47 am

Looking at some of these photos I see a costume in the back ground that I own. I knew I had a lot of Buck costumes, but never got around to buying the DVD, and and watching the episodes to ID the costumes. The orange like costume in the back ground is the one I have.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:29 am

Hand-Schaub wrote: Overall I think I will be producing a 'generic' citizen close to what we know and what makes sense. In kit form one can embellish the mask and personalize as they see fit. It's fun to get into the mind set of the original prop makers and try to create a 'robot' out of all this crap.
@Hand-Schaub - sounds great. Can't wait to see the pics of the stuff you bought. And, yes, a kit you can tinker with would be awesome. Are you planning on anything for the robe? Or just the face mask?
GoldCylon wrote:Looking at some of these photos I see a costume in the back ground that I own. I knew I had a lot of Buck costumes, but never got around to buying the DVD, and and watching the episodes to ID the costumes. The orange like costume in the back ground is the one I have.
@GoldCylon
:twisted: I don't know what you are talking about, she is wearing purple. :twisted:

groupleaderzeta
Squadron Leader

Post by groupleaderzeta » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:12 am

Hello everyone,

Hand, here is a couple parts, here is the mutipole switch, often called a change over, you see them in walki talki often, and some radios.

The page with more information, I am not sure of the exact model. I am still looking into it, but this is the right family.
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/CK- ... mi3A%3d%3d

groupleaderzeta
Attachments
civilianoriginalcostume.jpg

Return to “Civilian Builders' Forum”