Original or BOG - Which is your favorite Imperious Leader design?

His Eminence, our Imperious Leader. He is the highest authority of the Cylon Empire… and the reason for “by your command.” This is an elite builder group; few have taken on the daunting task of recreating full or even partial Imperious Leader costumes/displays. If you are looking for amazing build threads and info – THIS is the place.

Original
50%
Battle of Galactica
50%

Total votes: 8

Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin

Post by Red Eye » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:18 am

Image vs. Image

Image vs. Image

The choice is up to you!
Last edited by Red Eye on Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

Red Eye

Re: Original or BOG - Which is your favorite Imperious Leader design?

Post by Red Eye » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:23 am

I voted (as you might have guessed) for the original!
"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

137th Gebirg
Flight Leader

Post by 137th Gebirg » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:15 am

TOS one, for sure. While a valiant effort, I think the BOG one looks a little bit like the "Creature From The Black Lagoon". The face is too humanoid looking, like a dude in a suit. The TOS Impy's mouth and eyes are far more alien-looking, IMO.

I am curious why they didn't make a greater attempt at making it more closely resemble the original. Budget considerations, I imagine. IIRC, the Sidi Full-Bore motocross boots that Colonials war in TOS were replaced by black shoes w/ strap-on leggings in the BOG ride that make them look like the original boots from a distance. Probably a good thing for the purposes of getting in and out of the costumes quickly. I have a set of the newer Sidi's that came out a decade ago and, even though they have one less clasp than the originals, they take for-bloody-ever to put on and take off. I literally broke a sweat trying to get into those things, but damn, they do look good!

So, I suspect BOG Impy likely suffered the same sacrifice of authenticity in favor of practicality and efficiency.
I may appear unoccupied to you, but at the molecular level, I'm really quite busy.

bishopdonmiguel
Phalanx Leader

Post by bishopdonmiguel » Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:25 pm

TOS for me!

Your boots look great! Didn't realize Sidi had a newer version. I tried to score originals but the pair I got were so tough & uncomfortable I gave up and went with AXOs. Very comfy for long con days.

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:45 am

I like the BOG version. It has a meaner more threatening look to him.

As for the reason that design was used is interesting. The BOG event could use original screen used items as reference, but could not cast off the original props costumes, weapons and so forth. That said the sculptor for the Imperious Leader had a day or 2 to study the original before it had to be returned. He had 10 days to sculpt the mask, and 24 hours before it was do the supervisor (Robert Z) went to check up on the progress. The sculptor had nothing at all so Robert decided if the sculptor couldn't get it done in 10 days there was no way he was going to get it done in 24 hours when it was due on set. Robert took on the job, and decided what his own version of the Leader would look like. Like many of the outside contractors, and the Uni employees lived at Uni while working on opening the BOG tram ride event. Robert was like many of the contractor's work 12-16+ hours a day everyday.

Red Eye

Post by Red Eye » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:09 am

Thanks a lot for this nice behind-the-scenes info! :salute:

FLIGHTLDR SERPENTINE
Squadron Leader

Post by FLIGHTLDR SERPENTINE » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:49 pm

Hm, tough call. I am generally a purist when it comes to these things, and I generally always gravitate to 'the original' of something as my favorite. I like both of these designs. But I've always liked the BOG version for the reasons that GoldCylon stated, so that's how I voted. He looks a little more dynamic, like he would have some facial expression when he spoke (not the dummy in the ride, but potentially a real animatronic or CG character). Maybe big mouthy movements… and big eyebrow movements and lids that squint, etc. TOS version always seemed a bit stiff and non threatening to me.

Great topic. :cylongold:
:cylongold: "SEARCH FOR WRECKAGE... LEAVE NO SURVIVORS..."

johnnybear
Raider Commander

Post by johnnybear » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:35 am

Forgive my ignorance but what exactly is Battle of Galactica? :huh:
JB

johnnybear
Raider Commander

Post by johnnybear » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:42 am

I've just found out so no need for a report, Centurions! :IL:
JB

Return to “Imperious Leader Builders' Forum”