DIY Rotocasting

Rotational molding, also known as rotomolding, is a molding process for creating many kinds of mostly hollow items. The info is not specific to Classic Cylon Centurions, but SURE can be helpful for them and many, many others projects. Here you'll find various threads with great info from our members for the hobby of costuming.

groupleaderzeta
Squadron Leader

Re: DIY Rotocasting

Post by groupleaderzeta » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:39 pm

More on making molds..

Skullbeast
Outpost Commander

DIY Rotocasting

Post by Skullbeast » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:08 pm

I think the best mold video I'd recommend is with Rob Burman from Burman Industries how to make a silicone matrix mold, it's a 2 parter and it will bore you to tears but you will learn from a master. You can use different materials for the case or jacket or mothermold .

Big Al
Command Centurion

Post by Big Al » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:33 pm

Double post???
Last edited by Big Al on Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Your Command

Big Al
Command Centurion

Post by Big Al » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:49 pm

:cylongold:
groupleaderzeta wrote:vary interesting..
:cylon: Awseome find Zeta, this is spin casting and I'm pretty sure it can also be used for resin casting! In an earlier post I featured the plans for a diy machine and a book from cast craft.

Very useful video and what a cool factor this process has!

By Your Command

Big Al
Command Centurion

Post by Big Al » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:49 pm

Skullbeast wrote:I think the best mold video I'd recommend is with Rob Burman from Burman Industries how to make a silicone matrix mold, it's a 2 parter and it will bore you to tears but you will learn from a master. You can use different materials for the case or jacket or mothermold .
I looked on his web site and couldn't find it, could you post a link?
By Your Command

Skullbeast
Outpost Commander

DIY Rotocasting

Post by Skullbeast » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:13 pm

Big Al
Command Centurion

Post by Big Al » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:30 pm

:cylongold: Matrix Molds by Vance Hartwell

This is a re-post of an Original article I found at The Effects Lab A very cool Basic Picture essay on Matrix molding

:cylon: Matrix Molds By Vance Hartwell/The Effects Lab.

A very quick description of a one-piece matrix mold is as follows. I'll be using a face as the example of what you'd be molding

1. Here's what I want to make a silicone matrix mold of.

Matrix mold 1.jpg
Matrix mold 1.jpg (9.56 KiB) Viewed 3025 times
Matrix mold 1.jpg
Matrix mold 1.jpg (9.56 KiB) Viewed 3025 times
:cylon: 2. I recommend sealing a clay sculpture with Crystal Clear first. Then cover the piece with paper towels and wet them down, with a spritzer, so they conform to the sculpture. don't soak them, just get 'em wet enough to settle into the shape below. You can then put plastic wrap over it if you feel the need. I usually don't as the weight of the clay matrix can push the plastic into the clay sculpture and leave harsh lines in it. You may get some paper towel texture on your sculpture but that's pretty easy to fix up in step 6.

:cylon: 3. Here I've laid clay over the whole thing at a thickness of 3/8". I've also laid in 3/8" strips that will act as keys.
Matrix mold 2.jpg
Matrix mold 2.jpg (3.94 KiB) Viewed 3025 times
Matrix mold 2.jpg
Matrix mold 2.jpg (3.94 KiB) Viewed 3025 times
:cylon: 4. Next, I put in a tube (paper towel or toilet paper tube) that will leave a space for pouring the silicone into.
Matrix mold 3.jpg
Matrix mold 3.jpg (8.87 KiB) Viewed 3025 times
Matrix mold 3.jpg
Matrix mold 3.jpg (8.87 KiB) Viewed 3025 times
:cylon: 5. Next, I make an jacket or mother mold. If you're going to bake the mold it should be Ultracal or fibreglass. If you're not going to bake it it can be plaster.
Matrix mold 4.jpg
Matrix mold 4.jpg (8.48 KiB) Viewed 3025 times
Matrix mold 4.jpg
Matrix mold 4.jpg (8.48 KiB) Viewed 3025 times

:cylon: 6. When whatever you've made the jacket out of is set you can remove it and clean it out. Remove the clay from the face (or sculpture, whatever) and make sure it's ready for final molding (touch up any damage that may have happened from the molding process so far).

:cylon: 7. Drill bleeders into the jacket to allow air to get out that may get trapped inside as you're pouring the mold.
Matrix mold 5.jpg
Matrix mold 5.jpg (9.8 KiB) Viewed 3025 times
Matrix mold 5.jpg
Matrix mold 5.jpg (9.8 KiB) Viewed 3025 times
Matrix mold 6.jpg
Matrix mold 6.jpg (9.78 KiB) Viewed 3025 times
Matrix mold 6.jpg
Matrix mold 6.jpg (9.78 KiB) Viewed 3025 times
:cylon: 8. Put the jacket back over the face and seal any joins where silicone could leak out. You can use clay, hot glue, etc.

:cylon: 9. Put a clean tube back into the space left and seal the edges where it touches the mold.

:cylon: 10. Pour your silicone into the tube. The silicone should be de-aired in a vacuum chamber but since most people don't have access to one just pour it slowly, in a thin stream, into the tube. This will help get some of the bubbles out of the mix. Let the silicone flow out of the bleeders until you're sure no air is left inside the mold. Then seal the holes. I find sticking a screw into them and just twisting it by hand about a 1/4 turn works well (as long as you have a small enough hole). You can also use a small ball of clay.

:cylon: 11. When the silicone is cured (usually overnight) open the mold up. When you've removed the face/sculpture your mold will look something like this.

[attachment=3]Matrix mold 7.jpg[/attachment]

:cylon: 12. You can now cast a part out of the mold. In this example I've made a dupe out of Ultracal and put an aluminium handle in it.

[attachment=2]Matrix mold 8.jpg[/attachment]

:cylon: A side note here. The strip keys I used in this mold are not correctly shaped. they do not lock into the jacket at all. The sides of the keys are angled. They should be square. See the pic below for a visual description

[attachment=1]Matrix mold 9.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=0]vance-banner.gif[/attachment]

Very Good information to have and this looks pretty basic but very skilled. Vance is a friend of Skullbeast, so this guy really knows what he's diong!,

Here is Vance's Link The Effects Lab / Vance Hartwell, Matrix Molds

Skullbeast posted a great link to a Video you can purchase that would be the all of the details in detailed Detail! :wtf:

Burman Industries
Attachments
vance-banner.gif
Matrix mold 9.jpg
Matrix mold 9.jpg (12.28 KiB) Viewed 3025 times
Matrix mold 9.jpg
Matrix mold 9.jpg (12.28 KiB) Viewed 3025 times
Matrix mold 8.jpg
Matrix mold 8.jpg (10.58 KiB) Viewed 3025 times
Matrix mold 8.jpg
Matrix mold 8.jpg (10.58 KiB) Viewed 3025 times
Matrix mold 7.jpg
Matrix mold 7.jpg (9.54 KiB) Viewed 3025 times
Matrix mold 7.jpg
Matrix mold 7.jpg (9.54 KiB) Viewed 3025 times
Last edited by Big Al on Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By Your Command

Skullbeast
Outpost Commander

DIY Rotocasting

Post by Skullbeast » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:45 pm

Vance is no more than 5 feet away from me right now.

Big Al
Command Centurion

Post by Big Al » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:51 pm

[/b][/i][/size]

:cylon: Thank you for the link I will include it in the last post I did.

and For us new Guy's, I read that you work for Legacy Effect in LA, Is that true?

:cylon: Here is the link for the Videohttp://www.burmanindustries.com/estore/ ... ductid=156
Last edited by Big Al on Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Your Command

Skullbeast
Outpost Commander

DIY Rotocasting

Post by Skullbeast » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:55 pm

Yup

Big Al
Command Centurion

Post by Big Al » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:59 pm

Skullbeast wrote:Vance is no more than 5 feet away from me right now.

How very cool!!....Good thing I said nice things about him huh?..... :salute:
By Your Command

Big Al
Command Centurion

Post by Big Al » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:25 pm

:cylongold: Vance Hartwell

:cylon: This is Vance's Home page Vance Hartwell Very impressive! and look at the stuff this guy has made! it is truly amazing!
By Your Command

Big Al
Command Centurion

Post by Big Al » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:04 pm

:cylongold: Ivar / Hellboy Matrix Mold Tutorial 1

:cylon: I found this thread on another forum called Concept Art.Org that was posted originaly July 2nd 2005. Here you will find a russian sculptor and mold maker named Ivar, give an awsome tutorial on how to make a Matrix Mold.

Here is just the tutorial without the comments form other members with all the very HQ pics.

:cylon: Hellboy bust and matrix mold making tutorial

:cylon: Hi,
I'm new here. Can't say I'm new to sculpting - as a child, plastiline was maybe my favourite "toy". But as an adult sculpting is a pretty new hobby for me. I made a couple of smaller figures when I discovered polymer clay, this one here is my first serious sculpt.
I wanted to try the whole cycle from prototype sculpting via mold making to the coloured resin cast. I also wanted to have something nice on my shelf, so I started my Hellboy bust...

It's not finished yet - at the moment I have only some resin plaster castings and I'm trying to find some resin. I's not easy here in Estonia... (Tried resin my friend is using for making canoes and it's not working).

I took many photographs when I was sculpting and making my plaster/silicone matrix mold. Several people thought it is good idea to post them here, so I will do so. It was the first time I was trying to do this, so of course I made some mistakes. But in overall I think I made pretty good job with it and I hope those pictures can help some other people to demystify this whole mold making process.

I will not post too many pictures about actual work-in-progress bust. I posted them on Hellboy forum when I was sculpting and most of them are not so important or interesting anymore. One more thing - polymer clay I'm using is German made Cernit, it's the one I can get here in Estonia. There are a couple of more clays in shops here - Russian made one I use sometimes as the first layer of clay on wireframe (don't like it enough to sculpt) and Fimo, which I've never tried. There are many colours of Cernit, I used white for this sculpt. It's not the best colour to photograph but I tried my best.

:cylon: Here are some pictures of my Hellboy:
Original Cernit bust with Mezco figures:

[attachment=4]hellboysculptprototype6qd.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=5]hellboycast066eu.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=6]hellboycast088rf.jpg[/attachment]

:cylon: Some sculpting progress photographs:

[attachment=3]hellboysculptivarbase06logos2n.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=2]hellboysculptivarbase04sun5oi.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=1]hellboysculptivarbase05moon34p.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=0]hellboysculptivarbase08scull1d.jpg[/attachment]

More to come
Attachments
hellboysculptivarbase08scull1d.jpg
hellboysculptivarbase05moon34p.jpg
hellboysculptivarbase04sun5oi.jpg
hellboysculptivarbase06logos2n.jpg
hellboysculptivarbase06logos2n.jpg (57.36 KiB) Viewed 3008 times
hellboysculptivarbase06logos2n.jpg
hellboysculptivarbase06logos2n.jpg (57.36 KiB) Viewed 3008 times
hellboysculptprototype6qd.jpg
hellboycast066eu.jpg
hellboycast088rf.jpg
Last edited by Big Al on Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Your Command

Skullbeast
Outpost Commander

DIY Rotocasting

Post by Skullbeast » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:10 pm

That's cool I'm also up on ca too! I worked on a lot of the creatures of the week for fun.

Return to “Rotocasting”