DIY Rotocasting

Rotational molding, also known as rotomolding, is a molding process for creating many kinds of mostly hollow items. The info is not specific to Classic Cylon Centurions, but SURE can be helpful for them and many, many others projects. Here you'll find various threads with great info from our members for the hobby of costuming.
Big Al
Command Centurion

Re: DIY Rotocasting

Post by Big Al » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:00 am

:cylongold: Clone Trooper Matrix Mold Build Pics 6
mold27.jpg
mold28.jpg
mold29.jpg
mold30.jpg
mold31.jpg

By Your Command

Big Al
Command Centurion

Post by Big Al » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:07 am

:cylongold: Clone Trooper Matrix Mold Build Pics 7
mold32.jpg
mold33.jpg
mold34.jpg
mold35.jpg
mold39.jpg
By Your Command

Big Al
Command Centurion

Post by Big Al » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:09 am

:cylongold: Clone Trooper Matrix Mold Build Pics 8
mold40.jpg
mold41-1.jpg
mold42.jpg
mold43.jpg
mold44.jpg
By Your Command

Big Al
Command Centurion

Post by Big Al » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:21 am

:cylongold: Clone Trooper Matrix Mold Build Pics 9
mold44.jpg
mold47.jpg
mold48.jpg
mold49.jpg
mold50.jpg
mold51.jpg
mold52.jpg
:cylon: These are all the pics I could find on this build and if you want to see the original thread on this build you can find it here at Clone Troopers.Net Very cool tutorial. :cool:
By Your Command

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:12 pm

Love the Clone Tropper Tut! Thanks for pointing it out, and the info Big Al.
I didn't read, but was it roto or slosh cast?

How much do you think the plastic mix, and mold making stuff run? SAY you wanted to do that exact same process on your own Clone Trooper sculpt... what would it cost you?
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

Big Al
Command Centurion

Post by Big Al » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:05 am

Cylon-Knight wrote: Love the Clone Tropper Tut! Thanks for pointing it out, and the info Big Al.
I didn't read, but was it roto or slosh cast?

How much do you think the plastic mix, and mold making stuff run? SAY you wanted to do that exact same process on your own Clone Trooper sculpt... what would it cost you?
I'm not up to speed on the cost of the materials I didn't read it through either but I was thinking after the mold making tuts I will do some research on the chems and the different companies who offer them.

Besides I think those tuts are at least 6 to 8 years old so the prices would be different.

I'm sure it's the same companies that I listed in the Vacuum Form thread all carry the same stuff...Silicone, Fiberglass, Plaster, Resin, Plastic .....

Some of the suppliers have special silicone others have special resin.

I would like to get Skullbeast's opinion and recommendations on these materials He would be the expert as he uses them every day and he would know what would be best!

As far as the casting part on the last tut....I don't think the author said weather he hand slushed it or rotocasted it.

The machine would produce a better more even application though ...I have slush casted many pilot figures for my models but by hand no machine and then back filled them with expanding foam for strength. Much smaller mold and part so much easier to handle

I do remember when I was making molds, the silicone was the most exspensive (Room Temp Vulcanizing Silicone)....It's always cheaper to buy in bulk rather than little starter kits..Plastic Resin varies depending on the type of resin. Epoxy resin for the fiberglass is probably the cheapest. Mold release is in the middle somewhere but I can't speak too much on the subject till I get up to date.

I also need to explore the different clays available...

My dad is an artist and he has worked with both modelers clay and the polymers like sculpy....and I am not sure what the advantages are of either one....I have used modeler clay but never sculpy...I do know you can bake sculpy and make it hard but that's about all I know about it right now.

I will do some work on it tonight so we will know soon
By Your Command

Big Al
Command Centurion

Post by Big Al » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:13 am

:cylongold:Sugar Bottle Molds

:cylon: I ran across this one while I was searching for mold making tuts, This one really has nothing to do with making Cylon parts or Rotocasting or even resin casting. But it is a Hollywood Classic! :cool:

Molding and casting Sugar Bottles!.....Something I always wanted to do!.....This is the method the studios use to make Break away bottles and glass for fight scenes.

The Silicone that is used in the demo is CopyFlex a food grade silicone because bakers also use this method and the sugar bottles for when making cakes.

The site is Make Your Own Molds.Com There are several videos on making some different mold (Mostly for cake decoration) But I thought you would enjoy this.

:cylon: How to make sugar bottles

How fun would it be to catch one of your friends off guard and just crack em across the dome with one of these :twisted:

I do know if you buy Sugar bottles on line they will cost you about $15 to $20 a bottle :wtf:

Here is a link to the PDF tutorial to make the Bottle Mold

They also have tutorials on making other types of molds...nothing fancy but worth checking out.

By Your Command

Skullbeast
Outpost Commander

DIY Rotocasting

Post by Skullbeast » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:24 pm

I'm a big fan of helmets being made from epoxy, because it will protect your head for real. I could only beg to see the pictures of a fallen solders with shards of resin or vacu form sticking out of the face.

Big Al
Command Centurion

Post by Big Al » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:31 pm

Skullbeast wrote:I'm a big fan of helmets being made from epoxy, because it will protect your head for real. I could only beg to see the pictures of a fallen solders with shards of resin or vacu form sticking out of the face.
What kind of resin do you use for your helmets?.....I use West systems epoxy and the different fillers for the planes, I like the pump mesurements...a little pricy but good stuff
By Your Command

Skullbeast
Outpost Commander

DIY Rotocasting

Post by Skullbeast » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:44 pm

707 surface with a different laminating resin

---
- Die human!

Huttman
Patrol Leader

Post by Huttman » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:15 pm

Big Al wrote::cylongold: Clone Trooper Matrix Mold Build Pics 9
mold44.jpg
mold47.jpg
mold48.jpg
mold49.jpg
mold50.jpg
mold51.jpg
mold52.jpg
:cylon: These are all the pics I could find on this build and if you want to see the original thread on this build you can find it here at Clone Troopers.Net Very cool tutorial. :cool:
my helmet was from that mold ;)

-At what age should you tell a highway that it is adopted?

groupleaderzeta
Squadron Leader

Post by groupleaderzeta » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:20 pm

For those that have experience with RTV mold rubber, how much should I get to make 1 mold?
I am thinking quart kit, or should I get more.

I am also wanting to use fiberglass as the back up mold, next up on the machine list is to build a roto-caster. :grin:

Skullbeast
Outpost Commander

DIY Rotocasting

Post by Skullbeast » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:09 pm

For your head? No less than one gallon. Be sure to save all if your matrix clay. Stuff it in a bucket and you'll need about that plus some for your mold. No less than 3/8 of an inch for your wall thickness. Make a clay cutter. use wetclay. Bondoresin for the first coat of the jacket. Finish with laminating resin and glass cloth. drill bleeders. Vaseline the inside. I recommend 1065 from silpack. The green catalyst has less shrinkage. Long lasting. Tin base. 12 hour cure.

---
- Die human!

Skullbeast
Outpost Commander

DIY Rotocasting

Post by Skullbeast » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:15 pm

Make sure your head is mounted to a base for registration so the closing up of the mold at a later time will be accurate for pouring the silicone. You don't want the mold to touch the head.

---
- Die human!

groupleaderzeta
Squadron Leader

Post by groupleaderzeta » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:38 pm

I am wanting to make a mold of the head as a matrix mold. So I needed the info for the pink rubber stuff. I have made molds before but they were open 1 piece units. I will look into your suggestions. thanks

Return to “Rotocasting”