"The Black Hole" Robot Party

The USS Palomino discovers a black hole with a lost ship, the USS Cygnus, just outside its event horizon. The brave crew sets out to solve the mystery of the Cygnus but must beware the black hole, an abyss from which no one can escape...
Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin

"The Black Hole" Robot Party

Post by Red Eye » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:59 am

I've recently stumbled upon these great and rare photos of some Disney employees wearing the original Sentry Robot and Humanoid costumes during the premiere party at the Century Plaza Hotel in 1979... enjoy! :cool:

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

trooper18938
Patrol Leader

Re: "The Black Hole" Robot Party

Post by trooper18938 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:09 am

WOW! thanks again, Red Eye - you truely are the master of information ! I especially love the shot of the 3 sentrys with the faceplate removed, they kinda look like cobras. So 4 Humanoids, and 3 Sentrys survived for this gathering, and there's that S.T.A.R. Latex helmet, as well..... Possibly the Sentry helmet/chest, and the Humanoid mask/gloves in the picture sets that have been circulated amongst these boards are from this group of employees?

Red Eye

Post by Red Eye » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:18 am

Please remember that these photos were taken 31 years ago, were the movie was freshly shot with most of the props and costumes still around.

So it's highly questionable if the stuff we've seen here has survived to this day...

But I also hope to see a complete Sentry in the near future to gather some information from for my replica... :smile:
"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:42 am

Very cool. Would have loved to be part of the crowd. Looks like they still had fun back then. Meaning budget cuts doesn't allow things like to happen much anymore. Good times, and thanks for sharing.

trooper18938
Patrol Leader

Post by trooper18938 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:40 pm

Love to see how your Sentry Replica is progressing, and if you'll be offering up some helmet/chestplate kits... If so, I'm in for 2 : one red, and one to make STAR. Based on your Imperious Leader replica, I'm sure they'll be no less than Fantastic!

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:09 pm

AWESOME RED EYE! You DO find the neatest stuff online - you have a super power or something.

So, what I learned was:
-The humanoid costume had no pants, or even boots it would seem. The gown kept the legs/feet covered and that would have been extra cost to do anything but the arms. Sound right?
-The humanoid "face" had vent holes in it... ?! I'll have to re-watch the film for that one. I thought they were perfectly smooth/mirrored. Maybe there was a hero face plate for the close up/reveal of the human underneath and then the rest were "stunt" faces with the ventilation holes?
-The sentry seems to have a somewhat complex under suit in some pics. Not just a red pair of sweats, etc. Seems to have some ribbing - sort like a Cylon under suit??
-The knew how to PAR-TAY in 1979! NO CGI NONSENSE! lol
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

goldcylon1
First Centurion

Post by goldcylon1 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:25 pm

Where did you get the Scalf picture of the goldcylon leader in your photo book?
Goldcylon@cox.net

Red Eye

Post by Red Eye » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:18 am

Cylon-Knight wrote:AWESOME RED EYE! You DO find the neatest stuff online - you have a super power or something.

So, what I learned was:
-The humanoid costume had no pants, or even boots it would seem. The gown kept the legs/feet covered and that would have been extra cost to do anything but the arms. Sound right?
-The humanoid "face" had vent holes in it... ?! I'll have to re-watch the film for that one. I thought they were perfectly smooth/mirrored. Maybe there was a hero face plate for the close up/reveal of the human underneath and then the rest were "stunt" faces with the ventilation holes?
-The sentry seems to have a somewhat complex under suit in some pics. Not just a red pair of sweats, etc. Seems to have some ribbing - sort like a Cylon under suit??
-The knew how to PAR-TAY in 1979! NO CGI NONSENSE! lol
Thank you (again)! :wink:

I was surprised to see the Humanoids doesn't have anything under their robes (insert joke here). I also was thinking they do wear a undersuit made of the same burgundy vinyl material like the gloves...

The faceplate indeed had some venting holes drilled into it. It was easier for the actor to breathe under it. I can image it surely got HOT inside after a while like in our beloved chromed armor suits...

From what I've seen so far, the Sentry undersuit would be very easy to replicate. It's just some kind of leotard dyed the same color to match the armor pieces worn over it.

If everything's going as planned, a full Sentry costume will be my next project! So stay tuned... :smile:

Return to “The Black Hole - General Discussion”