RAM_Doubler's Cylon Centurian - resin coating and painting pepakura

Metasequoia, Pepakura, and the like
RAM_Doubler
Patrol Leader

RAM_Doubler's Cylon Centurian - resin coating and painting pepakura

Post by RAM_Doubler » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:27 pm

Details and progress on resin coating and painting my pepakura Cylon Centurian.

See the pep build details for my build here - viewtopic.php?f=80&t=2788

Build notes: Updates will come as I get time - still trying to finish in time for Planet Comicon 2015 here in KC...a mere 17 days away! :shock:

RAM_Doubler
Patrol Leader

Re: RAM_Doubler's Cylon Centurian - resin coating and painting pepakura

Post by RAM_Doubler » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:50 pm

Gather supplies. You're going to need a lot of brushes.

Don't forget eye protection and long sleeves - you'll be no good to the Cylon ranks if you've injured yourself before you even joined :lol:
Attachments
IMG_4112.JPG
Used close to 60 brushes for this project. It's a one-and-done scenario...once the resin hardens, the brush is trash.
IMG_4029.JPG
IMG_4026.JPG
I bought the small bottle of urethane colorant to make it easier to see where I'd already coated the paper with resin. Also figured the gray color would help with coverage when it was time to put down primer.
IMG_4027.JPG
Don't waste the resin - it's expensive and cures fast! I poured just enough to come up to the first crease up from the bottom of the cup, which is maybe 1/4" (.5mm) at the most.
IMG_4028.JPG
IMG_4030.JPG
Don't forget your eye protection, your disposable gloves (I've gone through about 120 so far), and lots of wooden sticks to stir with.

RAM_Doubler
Patrol Leader

Post by RAM_Doubler » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:01 pm

I found that I needed a ton of space to work on. I'm using 3ft x 8ft table, plus hanging parts and putting them on shelves.

Applying the resin is pretty straightforward. Completely cover each piece, but not so much that there's excess that runs. You just have to sand those drips off later...no reason to make more work for yourself.
Attachments
IMG_4021.JPG
Here's my basic set up. It got pretty crowded as I added more and more supplies.
IMG_4022.JPG
I used binder clips and bent paperclips to hang parts after brushing on the resin.
IMG_4023.JPG
Helmet looks a lot more menacing with even just one coat of resin applied.
IMG_4025.JPG
I used the buckles to experiment how cured the resin could be before I had to stop using it. You can see that trying to apply the thickened resin starts to really make the finished pieces look pretty rough.
Last edited by RAM_Doubler on Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RAM_Doubler
Patrol Leader

Post by RAM_Doubler » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:04 pm

Here you can see the difference between one coat and 2 coats of resin. It's surprising how even a couple thin coats can really harden up your pepakura.

I lightly sanded between resin coats, just to clean up rough spots and to remove errant brush bristles that got stuck.
Attachments
IMG_4031.JPG
IMG_4033.JPG

RAM_Doubler
Patrol Leader

Post by RAM_Doubler » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:12 pm

After a resin coat on the inside, I added fiberglass cloth to the inside of all pieces.

The process was pretty simple - cut the cloth into squares, and adhere it to the armor with resin, making sure to overlap each piece as it's put into place.

Don't forget that fiberglass is an irritant - don't get it on your skin. When I cut it into squares, I did it over a trash can to try to keep the fibers from getting everywhere.

I went back the added a 2nd layer of fiberglass cloth to a couple areas that felt a little flimsy (the sides of the backpack, for one).

....More updates coming as time permits!
Attachments
IMG_4057.JPG
I think I used 24sqft of fiberglass cloth to cover the insides of all the armor.
IMG_4034.JPG
Trying to remember to overlap the pieces....
IMG_4035.JPG
Thankfully I got better (and faster) at this over time.
IMG_4036.JPG
Done!

rustycylon
Squadron Leader

Post by rustycylon » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:10 pm

good work, I don't like working with fiberglass but it has its uses.

RAM_Doubler
Patrol Leader

Post by RAM_Doubler » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:56 pm

rustycylon wrote:good work, I don't like working with fiberglass but it has its uses.
Prophetic words, rustycylon... I did a test fit before lining the inside of the helmet with foam and the edge of some hardened fiberglass gave me a healthy scratch. :frack:

Probably the third time the fiberglass has bitten me enough to draw blood.

So, if you're doing a build like this, watch for sharp edges!
Attachments
IMG_4140.JPG
Centurian RAM-Doubler draws first blood...

RAM_Doubler
Patrol Leader

Post by RAM_Doubler » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:05 pm

Now that everything is reinforced with fiberglass, I got a little more aggressive with the sanding, really working to smooth out the high spots. There are lots of dents that will need to be filled, and edges that need cleaned up.

Unfortunately, I got a little too rough with the sanding in the eye slot and poked a hole through a spot that I hadn't reinforced with the fiberglass. Patched it up from the inside with a small piece of fiberglass, but was annoyed to have to spend the time fixing a stupid mistake.
Attachments
IMG_4069.JPG
IMG_4071.JPG
IMG_4072.JPG
IMG_4070.JPG
Whoops. Got a little careless when I was sanding...
IMG_4068.JPG
IMG_4067.JPG
IMG_4066.JPG

RAM_Doubler
Patrol Leader

Post by RAM_Doubler » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:11 pm

To fill in the low spots, I used the fairing filler to thicken up the epoxy resin. Awesome stuff - it's easy to use and easy to sand. You're still limited to the resin's curing time, so you have to mix small amounts and work quickly to apply it to all your low spots.

I learned pretty quickly to go back over the spots I filled and take off as much excess as I could before it started harden. While this mixture is easy to sand, if you pile it on, you're going to be working at it with 60-grit sandpaper for a bit before you can start shaping with a higher grit.
Attachments
IMG_4111.JPG
IMG_4082.JPG
IMG_4083.JPG
IMG_4084.JPG
IMG_4085.JPG

RAM_Doubler
Patrol Leader

Post by RAM_Doubler » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:14 pm

I ended up with a coat of resin on the shoulder bells that never quite dried. It stayed tacky for 2 days, and I finally just sanded it off (while gumming up the sandpaper big time).

I'm still working on the shoulder bells, and am not fully convinced I'll ever get them completely smooth.
Attachments
IMG_4088.JPG
IMG_4087.JPG
IMG_4086.JPG
Last edited by RAM_Doubler on Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

RAM_Doubler
Patrol Leader

Post by RAM_Doubler » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:26 pm

After sanding with 100-, 150-, and 320-grit sandpaper, everything but the helmet and chest piece were ready for a coat of primer. The Plastikote Sandable primer was recommended by the resin manufacturer. It goes on really nicely - it laid down flat and dried quickly. I had to push the recommended temperature for because the weather here has been below average, but it still went on good at 50F, or just a bit below.

I pre-built stands for each piece out of chunks of 2x4 and dowel rods. It made the painting process pretty simple.

This first coat of primer really helped the low spots and flaws stand out. Made it much easier to find the flaws so I could fix them.
Attachments
IMG_4110.JPG
IMG_4076.JPG
Makeshift paintbooth. Yes, that is duct tape with a bacon pattern on it...
IMG_4089.JPG
IMG_4090.JPG
IMG_4091.JPG
IMG_4092.JPG
IMG_4093.JPG
IMG_4094.JPG
IMG_4095.JPG
IMG_4096.JPG
IMG_4097.JPG
IMG_4098.JPG
IMG_4099.JPG
IMG_4100.JPG
IMG_4101.JPG
IMG_4102.JPG

RAM_Doubler
Patrol Leader

Post by RAM_Doubler » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:37 pm

Painting went well, but there were definitely problems. The backpack was covered in fish eyes, while no other piece had more than a couple. No idea what was different about the backpack, but it was a mess.

Also notice that I am forever finding bristles that were fulled out of the brushes while applying the resin. You'd think you'd find them all when sanding, but I still managed to miss a few.

This is also when I realized I'd really drowned the cylinder on the backpack with resin. I'm going to do my best to sand some detail back into it.
Attachments
IMG_4108.JPG
IMG_4107.JPG
IMG_4106.JPG
IMG_4105.JPG
Poor little guy, totally drowned in resin.
IMG_4104.JPG
The backpack was covered in these.
IMG_4103.JPG

RAM_Doubler
Patrol Leader

Post by RAM_Doubler » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:54 pm

The helmet wasn't quite ready for its first coat of primer, but I wanted to get a better look at where the low spots and rough spots were. There were lots of them :lol:

Definitely happy to get everything with at least one coat of primer. It's finally starting to feel like I might finish in time!
Attachments
IMG_4114.JPG
IMG_4115.JPG
IMG_4116.JPG
IMG_4117.JPG
IMG_4080.JPG
Closer look at the paint stands.

RAM_Doubler
Patrol Leader

Post by RAM_Doubler » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:04 pm

The backpack is still fighting me a bit. I tore the front cap while trying to sand and fill some of the many fish eyes. The tear is in a place where I couldn't easily reinforce it with fiberglass, so I pooled some wood glue behind it and hoped for the best. I've had a chance to lightly sand it, and it's been working for me so far.

Lots of work on the backpack filling those fraking fish eyes...

Smoothing and shaping the chest piece has gone pretty well. Just had to be patient and not try to fill too much at once.
Attachments
IMG_4121.JPG
If I've learned any lesson, it's to remember which places aren't reinforced with fiberglass, and to sand gently around them.
IMG_4120.JPG
thankfully, it looks like the wood glue is going to patch this ok.
IMG_4122.JPG
IMG_4123.JPG
So. Many. Fish eyes.
IMG_4124.JPG
IMG_4126.JPG
IMG_4131.JPG
IMG_4130.JPG
IMG_4129.JPG
IMG_4128.JPG
IMG_4127.JPG

RAM_Doubler
Patrol Leader

Post by RAM_Doubler » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:14 pm

Finally getting the helmet smoothed out. Since the interior has a thick layer of fiberglass and resin, you can sand into the paper shell of the helmet without worrying about hurting the structural integrity. Worst case, if you sand all the way through, is you just patch the fiberglass from the inside and use a little filler on the outside to smooth it out.

Hoping to get another primer coat on the big pieces in the next few days, so I can see how much smoothing and shaping is left.
Attachments
IMG_4134.JPG
IMG_4133.JPG
IMG_4132.JPG
IMG_4135.JPG
IMG_4136.JPG
IMG_4138.JPG

Return to “Classic BSG Paper Crafting”