Cylon helmet pepakura

Metasequoia, Pepakura, and the like
hand
Spare Parts

Cylon helmet pepakura

Post by hand » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:47 am

I decided to start this as a new topic to keep you updated on my first attempt at a pepakura build of the bazooka joe cylon helmet, I originally posted here viewtopic.php?f=80&t=1376

First attempt (mostly just taped together from very light card - 160gsm)
The famous 'Pumpkin Cylon' project I found at http://www.evilmadscientist.com/article ... onOLantern
The second attempt which is all glued together with 300gsm card and upscaled to 104% using the inkscape program as I couldn't find the .pdo files from bazooka joe. 104% is a little big, I could of done it to maybe 102.5 or 103 but I'll live with it!
I used foam sheets I got in a art's supplier in Dublin for the structure parts on the inside. They're a lot neater and easier to work with than the cardboard below. The down side is the glue I was using won't stick to it well so I used hot glue as well.
Card board structure on the inside which I wasn't happy with. Also loads of tape!
The pumpkin cylon eye project next to my modified 18 LED one in my box of tricks! I made it on broadboard just to test it and it works fine but will make it so it will fit inside the helmet when everything else is finished.

If I had to start again I would defiantly use a different glue, the one I have you might be able to see in the picture was just something I had lying around the house and is really good but takes a while to set. I read using a water based contact adhesive is best so I'll keep an eye out next time I'm in the builders merchants.

hand
Spare Parts

Re: Cylon helmet pepakura

Post by hand » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:16 am

I have the helmet fibre glassed now and have started sanding it down to get it ready for some body filler. When applying the fibreglass I was of course wearing latex gloves, a mask and safety glass and overall's because it can get messy!
I thought I would take a break and add some more picture's because while cutting the excess fibre glass and sanding down the helmet I did not wear gloves! A big mistake because my hands are itchy as hell now!
I got a fibreglass kit from http://www.as-ireland.com/ for

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:28 pm

All though it looks like you have a few small problems here and there over all it looks great, and as for advice I haven't done a build in paper before so I am no help there. Plug away at till your happy with the results. Thanks for sharing.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:33 pm

hand - I love it! Great progress, wow. I can't wait to see more. Please keep the photos coming.
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin
It’s my birthday

Post by Red Eye » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:28 am

I copy that!

Looks like a very promising build to me.
"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:24 am

I guess if you want to make a more screen accurate helmet you need to soften up the 2 quarter panels. They are very sharp corners, and need to have soft edges, but that is more of a screen 1:1 look, but I like your cut. Over all I like your work.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:01 pm

@hand are you thinking of chroming the final helm? Or paint?
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

hand
Spare Parts

Post by hand » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:03 pm

I'm looking at painting it but I haven't bought anything yet still doing a bit of reading, I've never spray painted before but then again I've never done any pepakura, fibreglass or used body filler before either.
There is a paint called killer chrome by Alsa that's supposed to nice and shiny but it's crazy expensive and I'm hearing mixed results from people who have used it. There is an art's place in Templebar in Dublin that specialize in spray paints and that kind of stuff I'm going to drop in this weekend and have a talk.
I haven't even google'd what it would cost to get this chromed when it's ready but I know there is a place near me that could do it.

Also I just finished rough sanding down one side of the helmet that I put bodyfiller on, I used way to much so took me about two hours just to get a rough shape on it and get it back to the resin so I can see the high spots etc.

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:13 pm

If you want to go cheap that might be the best route at first, and that is just a couple of can of spray paint. A high gloss black as the base coat, and then any color you like on a chrome spray paint. If you like the look of it then pick of some clear coat, but be careful. That can haze the finish a bit if not done correctly. Sample a few other pieces of material first on all these steps before you make a run at the helmet. It is a learning curve just a tiny bit, and also shows you results cheap, and quick with very little cost. The Alsa stuff is alway over the top, and then you have the overseas shipping rate for Haz Mat. That alone might run about $75 to $125US for a can spray paint. That is the price material, and shipping cost.

Return to “Classic BSG Paper Crafting”