Skarr's pepakura Centurian build

Metasequoia, Pepakura, and the like
skarr
Centurion

Skarr's pepakura Centurian build

Post by skarr » Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:32 am

Over the past few weeks iv'e been building a Cylon helmet using pep files,,gotta say now that if it wasn't for Bazzooka jo making his fantastic pep files available this very likely would not have been made,anyhow here's a few pics of the build
basic card model almost done
mixture of resin and bondo used to stiffen it up then fibreglass mat on the inside
bondo used to build up the basic shape
filling and sanding and spray filler
after the shaping and sanding phase i got it into the primer stage
started building up the mouth area with bondo atached to a piece of foam and foil used to prevent it sticking to the opening
test fit of the mouth section,don't look to bad at this stage
Splashed a bit of silver paint on it just to see what it may look like,all this was sanded again to remove small errors in the surfaces
it's just about finished now except for the grey side panel needs doing and the visor area needs painting black,i know that a real Chrome finish is the best for this and anything else sucks but i have a pretty good finish that i will show in some pics later on as i'm waiting for some good daylight to do it as the pics indoors don't show the true finish,
this is my first try at Pepakura building and i'm very happy with the results so far,what do you guy's think,,good bad or just crap :roll:

I'LL BE BACK...

skarr
Centurion

Re: Skarr's pepakura Centurian build

Post by skarr » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:09 am

It's raining outside so tried to do some more pics for ya in the best possible light with no flash,the paint i used is called Projekt paint by Plasti cote it may be available on your side of the pond but i can't say for sure,here's a few more pics as promised,i rekon it looks pretty good and does have a real metalic look but the down side with this paint is it finger marks very easy so i could try and put a clear laquer on top but i'll have to test that out on something else first as it may ruin what iv'e done and i don't want to start all over
this will only be a display piece to go in my collection so i think it has the look ;),there may be a few very small errors here and there but i like it and for the first was a big learning curve,i may have another go some time and do another but who knows when,oh yeah before i forget should the side panel be painted dark or light grey?
I'LL BE BACK...

RETRO1
Centurion

Post by RETRO1 » Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:58 am

DONT PUT CLEAR PAINT ON TO IT

ive tryed this a few times with the plasti cote metall chrom and gold

it will run and go blemished

Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin
It’s my birthday

Post by Red Eye » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:04 am

Wow! What a great looking helmet!

The paint turned out very well...

Thank you for sharing! :cylon:

To answer your question about the side panels: They should be painted in gunmetal just like the mouth piece.

Do you have any plans for adding a eye scanner as well?
"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:17 am

Outstanding. Awesome job.

skarr
Centurion

Post by skarr » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:06 am

Retro1,,thank's for the tip on clear coating i won't be doing that :salute:

Red eye,,,,thank's for the side panel advice,i thought they were greyish in colour but Gunmetal must be a metalic then,,i'll look at some more reference pics before i get the paints out, iv'e got no plans to do the leds in the opening at the moment but may in the future add them,but this will only be a display piece in my small collection of odd bits and bobs,but the main thing is that i have something that at least looks something like a Cylon and i'm happy about that :P
I'LL BE BACK...

Red Eye
It’s my birthday

Post by Red Eye » Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:59 am

Perhaps these photos will help for finishing up the two panels:

Image Image Image
"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:40 pm

skarr EXCELLENT WORK! Thanks for sharing it with us.

:byyourcommand:
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

skarr
Centurion

Post by skarr » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:37 pm

Red Eye wrote:Perhaps these photos will help for finishing up the two panels:

Image Image Image
Thank's for the ref pics Red eye they do look a lot lighter than i thought they should be but i'm in no rush to finish this off just yet as i have a small problem to overcome with the paint finish,iv'e been told not to clear coat it and i rekon that's sound advice but iv'e been looking at the paint makers site and they suggest using their brand of sealer for this paint so that should be compatable and not give any bad reactions,i need to try something because as it is now it can't be handled without smudging or blemishing the surfaces and that's no good if i can't pick it up :roll: ,i'll get a can of sealer and paint an area of another helmet i have in the gold colour and test it out first to see what happens,if i get a good result i'll post it up ;)either way i'll report back anyhow,,
I'LL BE BACK...

skarr
Centurion

Post by skarr » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:45 am

Cheers guy's,,i'll take note of all the input you have given me very helpfull,,
the paint seems to have hardened after a good while and can now be handled ok with minimum smudging ect so i feel a bit happier about that,at least i can move it about now,
As i mentioned i downloaded the file done by Bazzooka jo and i take my hat off to the guy but i have a question ?,the file i used was not like a normal pep file that is loaded into the Pepakura designer program and the options to scale the model were not available and i was wondering if this helmet i now have is of a true size,this is a question i should maybe ask Jo but i figured that someone here may have some idea about this?the model was meant to be printed on mirrored card and makes me think it may be something that was originaly meant for a parent to make for a youngling,anyone got any thoughts on any of this?,,
I'LL BE BACK...

skarr
Centurion

Post by skarr » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:21 am

Painted the side panels and the mouth in Gunmetal as advised and it looks ok ,i repainted the whole thing again and i have a couple of runs in the thing now but i guess it's ok for now
not a lot of difference to the previous pics but i thought i would show them anyhow
this will now sit on my shelf with the rest of my collection while i decide if i'm gonna do the rest of the armor in Pepakura,but who knows when that may be,, :roll:
I'LL BE BACK...

Red Eye
It’s my birthday

Post by Red Eye » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:26 am

Nice work again!

Can't wait to see the rest of the armor, if you ever going to build it...

Red Eye
It’s my birthday

Post by Red Eye » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:27 am

Oh, one more thing: Are you going to paint the visor inset as well?

If so, you should go for a flat black...

LastBattlestar
Centurion

Post by LastBattlestar » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:49 am

Fantastic build! The chrome paint looks amazing, slightly duller than plating but it looks more 'real' to me. Great job!

Mike
'Helm, make ready to move. Flank speed and fuel be damned!'

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:14 am

My hat is off to you with that gold paint. That is awesome. :cylongold:

Return to “Classic BSG Paper Crafting”