Origin of the IL-Series Cylon prop heads

Lucifer, Specter, and others... Devious Cylons just waiting for their chance to upstage the Imperious Leader and assume control of the Cylon Empire.
Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin

Origin of the IL-Series Cylon prop heads

Post by Red Eye » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:10 am

I've received another message from the RPF member who provided the behind the scenes info on the Imperious Leader costume before, suggesting to take a look at the robots as seen in the movie "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band".

In the movie, they were created by a character named Mean Mr. Mustard (played by Frankie Howerd) who invented them to be his evil robot henchmen, called the Computerettes.

So far about their background in this movie.

The movie itself was released in June, 1978, two months prior before Battlestar Galactica's premiere. To save some costs, it makes sense the BSG production crew used the molds for the already existing Computerette heads to have them altered to become the IL-Series Cylon head we all know today.

Again, it's perfect example of prop reuse at its very best.

If you take a close look at the screencaps, you'll realize how close they look even in their pre-BSG appearance:

"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Re: Origin of the IL-Series Cylon prop heads

Post by Cylon-Knight » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:18 am

VERY COOL connection!!!
I wonder if there is more documentation out there for the Computerettes / I.L. heads to be found based on this movie???
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin

Post by Red Eye » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:13 am

That would be our mission...

First, we have to know who molded them in the first place.
"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:52 am

I do recall I was told years ago that some of the BSG costumes were used in this movie. I did see it in the theater when it was released because I am a big Aerosmith fan, but never could mustard up enough nerve to see it again. Also the bridge uniforms were switched up a bit for some music video or movie after the show wrapped. That is one reason why many of the blue uniforms are MIA.

Return to “IL Series Builders' Forum”