Galactica 1980 Helmet

Builds, info, tips and tricks on props from Battlestar Galactica's first spin off.
Tinman
Fallen Centurion - R.I.P.

Galactica 1980 Helmet

Post by Tinman » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:36 am

Image Image

Is a kit or finished model of this helmet from GALICTICA 1980 for sale anywhere out there?

Would possibly like to look into getting one for the collection. Just appeals to more than the helmet used in TOS. It looks more like a real Flight Helmet.

Tks in advance. :salute:

<S>!
Last edited by Tinman on Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TINMAN

Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin
It’s my birthday

Re: Galactica 1980 Helmet

Post by Red Eye » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:30 pm

They've got one for sale: http://www.intergalactictrading.com/pro ... ?pid=BG303

But it's very expensive and who knows if it's really a screen-used prop...
"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:27 pm

:blink: WOW that costs a lot. It had better be screen used for that price, if not - that's NUTS.
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:28 pm

Tks for the lead Red Eye. :salute:

Doesn't appear to be the same kind as used in the show - appreas to be missing the detail on the chin guard.

$1,800 is a "bit steep" for a helmet in that shape, IMHO, especially since there is no concrete proof of it being an actual prop.
Besides, I am not that much of a collector - I will keep poking around and see if I can find a kit for a couple hundred dollars.

<S>!
TINMAN

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:31 pm

Yeah, looking at the two - the for sale and your screen cap they are TOTALLY different. The for sale one is probably a modern bike helmet mod.
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:07 pm

Cylon-Knight wrote:Yeah, looking at the two - the for sale and your screen cap they are TOTALLY different. The for sale one is probably a modern bike helmet mod.
Could that helmet featured on the Intergalactic site have come from the BATTLE OF GALACTICA ride they had out at Universal Studios? Seems I remember reading something about the helmets they had made up for that.

<S>!
TINMAN

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:49 pm

The last few episodes they were up grading the helmets a bit, but the minor changes were only to help separate the way the originals looked, and also that 80's gray that was soon to be a popular color.

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:51 pm

Red Eye wrote:They've got one for sale: http://www.intergalactictrading.com/pro ... ?pid=BG303

I am sure that is from the Battle of Galactica studio show, not a screen used TV prop. I bet I can even get the guy that made that helmet to sign off on my thoughts it is his work, not the production crew for the show.

Tinman

Post by Tinman » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:08 pm

So, does anyone know of a kit for this helmet?

Seems I read somewhere awhile back on how this helmet was built, anyone know of this article?

Tks for the help guys. :salute:
TINMAN

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:15 pm

spcglider had something going on a while back, try sending him a PM, but I think he changed emails address so if you don't hear back he isn't ignoring you.

Mark B.
Spare Parts

Post by Mark B. » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:08 pm

GoldCylon wrote:
Red Eye wrote:They've got one for sale: http://www.intergalactictrading.com/pro ... ?pid=BG303

I am sure that is from the Battle of Galactica studio show, not a screen used TV prop. I bet I can even get the guy that made that helmet to sign off on my thoughts it is his work, not the production crew for the show.

Little late to the discussion here, but...

That helmet for sale at Intergalactic Trading was built, as GoldCylon mentions, but the same guy who put together props for the BOG attractions. This particular helmet was built for display at Universal Florida along side original Galactica filming model in the early 90s.

M

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:15 pm

Interesting life line of that helmet. That makes even more over priced since it was just a display piece at $1800, but I am sure as long as it has been for sale they might take a good offer by now.
Hey Mark good to see you back on here also.

Reaper63
Patrol Member

Post by Reaper63 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:52 pm

The mold that Gordon Used to to make the fiberglass helmet kits is long dead. A few people over at Blackstar Squadron had asked him about these helmets. Alot of us do agree that this helmet looks like an updated version of the original. I know I'd love to be able to display both helmets next to each other.

Wish there was another option.
Reaper
Strike Captain Edan
Blackstar Squadron

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:20 pm

Well I talked with the guy that made those helmets in mass for the Battle of Galactica. They switched over to those helmets in the last 4-5 years of the show. The screen used helmets from the original showed just disappeared one at a time here, and there over a period of 6-8 years till they finally used a Gal 1980 to copy the side panels. Then using the cheap motorcycle helmet of the day at Grand Auto they screwed and glued the panel pieces in. They also made the chin piece custom each time the helmet style changed. I think buying a old motorcycle, and making your own might be the best route.

Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin
It’s my birthday

Post by Red Eye » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:37 am

The spcglider kit for a G1980 Viper helmet is for sale on eBay right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Battlestar-Galactic ... 3367317faf

Happy bidding! :wink:
"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

Return to “G1980 Props”