The engine cowling

Builds, info, tips and tricks on props from Battlestar Galactica's first spin off.
GoldCylon
Founder

The engine cowling

Post by GoldCylon » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:06 pm

OK I was thinking about the entire bike project, and was talking with Brian (Hand-Schaub) when he stopped off last week. He was telling me how it looks like I took on the hard stuff first. I thought I started with the easy stuff myself, and he said to him the engine cowling section looked like the easy part to him. I said I was going to leave that to Mark in Orlando to do that. While he explained a bit more, and my thoughts are now he is in secret working on the engine cowling section, but I am sure to find out after he reads this. Anyway I digress, and I thought about the section, and study it. It now after Brian's input I looked, and started to take note that seems to be made from many off the shelf parts, and with the front cone section a large bowl. Here is a bowl I use as my water bowl for wet sanding. What do you think? Anyone have a 1979 plastic bowl around the house like used for the engine air intake.
Attachments
Engine cowling bowl.jpg
IMG_3171.JPG

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Re: The engine cowling

Post by Cylon-Knight » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:11 pm

That's a super bowl, GoldCylon :roll: *eye roll* lol
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

Big Al
Command Centurion

Post by Big Al » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:48 am

GoldCylon wrote:OK I was thinking about the entire bike project, and was talking with Brian (Hand-Schaub) when he stopped off last week. He was telling me how it looks like I took on the hard stuff first. I thought I started with the easy stuff myself, and he said to him the engine cowling section looked like the easy part to him. I said I was going to leave that to Mark in Orlando to do that. While he explained a bit more, and my thoughts are now he is in secret working on the engine cowling section, but I am sure to find out after he reads this. Anyway I digress, and I thought about the section, and study it. It now after Brian's input I looked, and started to take note that seems to be made from many off the shelf parts, and with the front cone section a large bowl. Here is a bowl I use as my water bowl for wet sanding. What do you think? Anyone have a 1979 plastic bowl around the house like used for the engine air intake.
If you want my opinion, the bowl is a good idea but the one you have there is too curvy at the bottom and the top flares.

Michaels use to carry styrofoam Balls and cones for craft projects and if they had a cone big enough you could use one and cut it down.

The air intake on the ref pic looks like it has very straight draft lines and your bowl is curvy.

Another way to do it is to use the blue foam, Make a block of foam by stacking and glueing several pieces together, stack them high enough for the height and rough squared base slightly bigger in diameter than your finish line,

Find the center and make a hole from the top to the bottom, Then use a pencil compass to draw your large circle on the bottom then your small circle on the top, Then start cutting, you will get a natural shape draft by removing the material on the sides and sanding between the edges of the circles.

Just the way I might do it
By Your Command

Skullbeast
Outpost Commander

The engine cowling

Post by Skullbeast » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:32 am

I'm with big Al on this one. I think you'll end up with two much leg work and
You would have finished before you found a part that was only close. You could cut the top od and the bottom od and use heavy gauge paper and tape to make the shape then glass away and do the cuts later.

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:53 am

Sorry if I suggested this was the bucket I was going to use. It was what I have on hand you use. No way would I sculpted this into the correct style. I have one of the correct styles already, just it is on the boat. I just need to double check with the dimensions, and it is a go.

Skullbeast
Outpost Commander

The engine cowling

Post by Skullbeast » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:42 am

Cool if you already have one. I was just giving my approach from scratch. 2 foam core disks and stiff cardstock paper. How's the boat! Envious... I could use some chill time. Keep up all of the great progress!

Big Al
Command Centurion

Post by Big Al » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:51 am

Skullbeast wrote:I'm with big Al on this one. I think you'll end up with two much leg work and
You would have finished before you found a part that was only close. You could cut the top od and the bottom od and use heavy gauge paper and tape to make the shape then glass away and do the cuts later.

I concure! :byyourcommand:
By Your Command

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:02 pm

Or, just forget the flying bike and take the bus :twisted: :erk:

Looking forward to more GoldCylon - please keep us posted on your awesome build!

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:17 pm

Skullbeast wrote:Cool if you already have one. I was just giving my approach from scratch. 2 foam core disks and stiff cardstock paper. How's the boat! Envious... I could use some chill time. Keep up all of the great progress!
Here is the boat just before it was launched 3 years ago. Boat is in the water 24/7 just a 10 minute drive away.
Attachments
1 PORT @ HOME.jpg

Skullbeast
Outpost Commander

The engine cowling

Post by Skullbeast » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:36 pm

Man.... Tranquility!!! Just thinking of it puts my mind at ease.

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:12 pm

And beer in the blood stream. :lol:

Big Al
Command Centurion

Post by Big Al » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:18 pm

:cylongold: My Boat!
My Boat.jpeg
Nothing like sleeping in a bed that is gently rocked by the water motion and listening to the water ever so gently splashing on the hull..........I Miss my boat!
By Your Command

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:26 pm

Is that at River View? Looks like the old Sushi on the River building before it sank.

Big Al
Command Centurion

Post by Big Al » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:44 pm

Yup! ....That was the one that sank! my birth was real close!...when I was there I think it was called ...The jammin Salmon!

Right off the Garden highway exit
By Your Command

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:53 pm

Wow, you two and your boats... you're like Nautical Olsen Twins! :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Return to “G1980 Props”