Building a Turbo Land Probe bike

Builds, info, tips and tricks on props from Battlestar Galactica's first spin off.
GoldCylon
Founder

Building a Turbo Land Probe bike

Post by GoldCylon » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:23 pm

There are three of us that are all forum members working on this somewhat together. I feel a tad out of the loop because they are on the East Coast, and I am on the West Coast, but location is what it is. So I have started on working on the fiberglass pieces. Yeah I guess I need to get bike also, but I am going to see if I can find the street legal version of this bike so I can take it out on the street.
First I started on the front wings. Since that is about as close to the ground as I can get modifying the bike with out having a bike.
I used foam board as my material, and then took the rough cut pieces in to have custom made metal frame for the wings.
When the metal frames are ready I'll then finish building the wings, and fiber glass coat the pieces.
Attachments
Tubro Land Probe 001.JPG
Tubro Land Probe 007.JPG
Tubro Land Probe 009.JPG
Tubro Land Probe 011.JPG
Tubro Land Probe 013.JPG

Big Al
Command Centurion

Re: Building a Turbo Land Probe bike

Post by Big Al » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:57 pm

Ok I get it now you are building your own! :nah: Somtimes it takes me awhile to catch on ....I thought you were working a deal to buy the original...DUH!!....
By Your Command

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:02 pm

The asking price to way to high on the one I saw, well really both are the same price. Yes two owners are selling their bike, and both are asking the same price. I think the bike is just way cool looking, and would like to ride it, and a screen used prop not really can do that much, plus it isn't street legal. I am looking to try to get a street legal bike.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:28 pm

Great start GoldCylon - keep us posted on your build.
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin

Post by Red Eye » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:05 am

A very promising build, indeed!

Good luck with it and please keep us posted (like CK said twice :wink:)
"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:44 am

Oops, crazy clicker. Trashed the double post. ;)

Hand-Schaub
First Centurion

Post by Hand-Schaub » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:47 pm

Start nothing, I stopped by Dale's yesterday and he nearly had half the bike sculpted! Well, I'm exaggerating but the progress was impressive.

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:02 pm

Hand-Schaub wrote:Start nothing, I stopped by Dale's yesterday and he nearly had half the bike sculpted! Well, I'm exaggerating but the progress was impressive.
A compliment.....way cool because it easy to impress you.. :nah:

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:20 pm

OK I am now working on the seat section. I started out with foam core art board as the frame, and then started with a fiberglass layer around it, and then a mix of Bondo, and fiberglass and so forth. I put one layer down to think, and the heat warped the board. Instead of cutting it off I just screwed a board along the side and filled in with plastic trash, and dried Bondo, and then poured fiberglass in to fill that gap. This piece will no longer be a usable piece but a master pattern to make a mold so the inside no longer matters what is inside.
Attachments
Land Probe 004.JPG
Land Probe 034.JPG

Big Al
Command Centurion

Post by Big Al » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:26 pm

GoldCylon wrote:OK I am now working on the seat section. I started out with foam core art board as the frame, and then started with a fiberglass layer around it, and then a mix of Bondo, and fiberglass and so forth. I put one layer down to think, and the heat warped the board. Instead of cutting it off I just screwed a board along the side and filled in with plastic trash, and dried Bondo, and then poured fiberglass in to fill that gap. This piece will no longer be a usable piece but a master pattern to make a mold so the inside no longer matters what is inside.

Very cool Dale!!!! Just one request......More Process Photos!!!

I will be watching this thread with great Cylonius :evillaugh:
By Your Command

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:41 pm

Sorry lacking photos. Just been busy working on the parts. This is also taking longer then I planned out. I thought I was going to get some primer paint down today, but it just didn't happen. I have to go do the socializing things also, and then robbed me of a dozen or so hours over the weekend. I might have completed the target I had aimed if I had that 12 hours. I wanted to detail out the seat, but the closer I get to completion the more I see that needs help. It is me more like I want it as perfect as possible more than close enough, and also had 2 warped walls that had to be built back up. The seat, and the seat back since they are covered by a padded piece of plywood that isn't as critical as the outside pieces that all eyes will see. but I did need to correct a dip or sag on the seat, and dry time is killing me also. Well I did get to finish up framing out the rear wings, and have fiber-glassed, and Bondo mix on the entire right wing while I still have a a ways to go on the left wing. The left wing is framed out, and started the fiberglass and Bondo, but haven't even begun to sand it yet. Anyway here are few photos of the progress I am current with as of now.
Attachments
Seat wing back 029.JPG
Seat wing back 033.JPG
Seat wing back 025.JPG

Hand-Schaub
First Centurion

Post by Hand-Schaub » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:52 pm

Cool!

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:57 pm

I switched over to plywood on the wings. The foam core method I used for the seat was just taking to long.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:07 am

Very nice work GoldCylon! Looking GOOD.

Big Al
Command Centurion

Post by Big Al » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:30 am

GoldCylon wrote:I switched over to plywood on the wings. The foam core method I used for the seat was just taking to long.
you said foam core method can you elaborate... are you useing a sandwich construction vacuum bagging technique?
By Your Command

Return to “G1980 Props”