Did you ever meet a fan of Galactica 1980 back in 1980?

The Galactica finds Earth ... and Dr. Zee (oh dear).
Hope It Is The Grog
Squadron Leader

Did you ever meet a fan of Galactica 1980 back in 1980?

Post by Hope It Is The Grog » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:31 pm

I did, just once. My typing teacher in 7th grade said Galactica 1980 was her favorite TV show. And this was before "The Return of Starbuck."

Kinda weird. I mean, I watched it because it was close to the "real thing," but I wouldn't have gone around telling a roomful of junior-high kids it was my favorite show.
Last edited by Hope It Is The Grog on Sat May 03, 2014 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"I may move to the command chamber. I'm sure they're talking about me while I'm in here."
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sufferin ... 2291161676

Hand-Schaub
First Centurion

Re: Did you ever meet an actual fan of Galactica 1980?

Post by Hand-Schaub » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:40 am

I think I actually like it... I mean, I guess I look at it as a historical Universal thing... but I found more episodes 'fun' and entertaining versus the ones I did not. I do not 'hate' or disgrace it like many do. Does that count?

Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin
It’s my birthday

Post by Red Eye » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:28 am

And don't let's forget about the cool vehicles G1980 gave us: The Turbo Bikes as well as the bad a$$ Cylon AB Raider.

Additionally, it was the first show which had human-looking Cylons in it... a concept that Ron Moore would later borrow for his reimagined BSG project.

So perhaps it wasn't THAT BAD like most fans say.
"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

Hope It Is The Grog
Squadron Leader

Post by Hope It Is The Grog » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:27 am

Yeah, I guess I was technically a fan at the time, but I can remember being disappointed in it on a regular basis. I've been putting off rewatching it on DVD for fear of repeating the disappointment.
"I may move to the command chamber. I'm sure they're talking about me while I'm in here."

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:21 pm

It seems to me G1980 is a more of a "Lost in Space" take on Sci Fi - Fun/silly ... vs. Star Trek/Star Wars with deep concepts/drama.

I totally agree with Hand-Schaub. G1980 was fun and entertaining.
Expecting more of it just isn't realistic, it is what it is. I like it for what it is, I don't hate it.

If a person would want the total flip side of G1980 - see nuBSG.
DRAMA and ACTION - no "fun" apsect like G1980 at all. Wow, I can only recall 3 or 4 scenes in nuBSG that made me laugh - out of 4+ years ("+" = mini and "movie episodes").

And another odd fact is that nuBSG's spin off, Caprica, suffered the same fate as G1980... the MUCH less liked and gone-in-a-flash little brother series.... *poof* it was gone, just like G1980 and everyone "poo poos" upon it. :shock:

I made a funny G1980 zingger picture that I need to remember to post to this thread when I'm at home - don't let me forget it (because I will).
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

rustycylon
Squadron Leader

Post by rustycylon » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:27 pm

I must admit that I prefer battlestar galactica to g1980, however g1980 did have some good bits. For example the abcraft battle and crashing, also centuri starting back up and ofcourse the return of starbuck episode.
:cylon:

Hope It Is The Grog
Squadron Leader

Post by Hope It Is The Grog » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:40 pm

Cylon-Knight wrote:It seems to me G1980 is a more of a "Lost in Space" take on Sci Fi - Fun/silly ... vs. Star Trek/Star Wars with deep concepts/drama.

If a person would want the total flip side of G1980 - see nuBSG.
DRAMA and ACTION - no "fun" apsect like G1980 at all. Wow, I can only recall 3 or 4 scenes in nuBSG that made me laugh - out of 4+ years ("+" = mini and "movie episodes").
I never saw Lost in Space, but I've been told that the episode where it all started going silly and childish was called "The Space Croppers." That made me wonder if Glen Larson was sending a message about where G1980 was going when he gave one of the episodes that title.

That "no-fun" reputation is why I haven't had any interest in watching nuBSG. Don't enjoy sci-fi that takes itself too seriously.

Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin
It’s my birthday

Post by Red Eye » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:26 pm

Good you mentioned the "Space Croppers" episode!

The Imperious Leader had his last appearance in it. Sadly, they couldn't get Patrick Macnee back to do the voice again which is understandable at this kind of tiny budget. Instead, we've got Dennis "The Unit" Haysbert providing the voice of the Leader.

I also share your thoughts about the reimagined series. I've seen all of it but it's simply not my style of BSG. I simply don't understand why they've reinvented the whole show instead of just continuing the original... *Heavy sigh*
"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:37 pm

SO, my joke image was fall out from an art contest for a BSG Character Endorsement... my real entry was Cylon Six for Coke Zero... but the topic of G1980 came up in the thread and someone mentioned how the flying bikes were a bit, well ***hummmmm*** ... and then someone mentioned they could endorse Durex... and well... it was just to silly not to make a picture of it ;)

Just a funny image! Nothing more. Poor G1980... :roll:
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

Hope It Is The Grog
Squadron Leader

Post by Hope It Is The Grog » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:29 am

Ah, what could have been...

137th Gebirg
Flight Leader

Post by 137th Gebirg » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:40 pm

Red Eye wrote:And don't let's forget about the cool vehicles G1980 gave us: The Turbo Bikes as well as the bad a$$ Cylon AB Raider.

Additionally, it was the first show which had human-looking Cylons in it... a concept that Ron Moore would later borrow for his reimagined BSG project.

So perhaps it wasn't THAT BAD like most fans say.
QFT. This and the two-seater vipers made sense, particularly when visions of Adama being folded inside Apollo's viper's cargo hold in SoaSW come to mind when they briefly visit Caprica post-holocaust. I liked "Troy" for Boxey's real name and, of course, Return of Starbuck. I don't think that would make me a fan of the show, per se, but definitely not a hater.
I may appear unoccupied to you, but at the molecular level, I'm really quite busy.

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:30 am

There used to be a Galactica1980.com web forum. A lot of action the first few months then it just dried up.
Image :cylongold: :cylongold: :cylongold:

Hope It Is The Grog
Squadron Leader

Post by Hope It Is The Grog » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:40 am

^ Just like the show... :ugh:

Croft2014
Raider Pilot

Re: Did you ever meet a fan of Galactica 1980 back in 1980?

Post by Croft2014 » Sun May 24, 2015 7:22 pm

It was pretty much excoriated by us 12 year olds at the time; we couldn't believe our eyes with the kids and hildren's TV educational elements dictated by the 19:00-20:00 timeslot. It hasn't aged all that well, and the much vaunted episode The Return of Starbuck is a pretty duff episode all told.

Hope It Is The Grog
Squadron Leader

Re: Did you ever meet a fan of Galactica 1980 back in 1980?

Post by Hope It Is The Grog » Sun May 24, 2015 10:09 pm

A few miscellaneous bits from various G1980 episodes were recycled into the Experiment in Terra telemovie. They used the fire aboard the freighter from The Super Scouts and some Cylon dialogue from a later episode ("Monitoring electromagnetic transmission... Source identified as Galactican fleet"). That was probably about all they could salvage from the series, besides the parts of The Return of Starbuck they used.

Return to “G1980 General Discussion”