Changes I hadn't noticed in 31 years

The Galactica finds Earth ... and Dr. Zee (oh dear).
Spectre
Patrol Leader

Post by Spectre » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:32 am

Sooooo, I just got my Galactica 1980 DVD set in the mail. I hadn't seen the show since it first aired. I just watched the first three episodes--not nearly as bad as I remembered, but I haven't got to the Superscouts episode, either.
Some things I noticed--recharge cylinders are missing from the Warrior's gunbelts. Why does Dillon have silver collar pins instead of gold? Some new rank structure they came up with for warriors? Adama and Boomer are still wearing silver.

Oh, FRACK! But I didn't say frack, I said the Queen Mother of all dirty words! The F, dash, dash, dash, dash word!

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Re: Changes I hadn't noticed in 31 years

Post by Cylon-Knight » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:08 pm

Good eye Spectre!
Hummm... wonder why they changes?
I don't think that the limited amount of Centurions had any differences to them. Time to re-watch myself :)
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:34 am

I haven't watched them since I bought the DVD set. Now time to find it again, and watch it again.

Skullbeast
Outpost Commander

Post by Skullbeast » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:58 am

I think my favorite ones are "the night the cylons landed". I just love Andromodus's ( the first skin jobs) behavior.
I must not forget to mention the other cylonic treasures; the ab raider, and the holster.

Big Al
Command Centurion

Post by Big Al » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:55 am

I haven't seen those episodes in years either, If I remember the young cop from the Adam 12 series was boxy grown up, and I didn't think much of desperate attempt to revive the series. Adama with the beard....Pfft.....I just thought the whole thing looked like it was slopped together in an effort to make somthing they already had sets and costumes that they could dust off and use. The rank pins may have been just that, A lack of attention to detail.

I'm Kinda Grumpy about the "Re Imagined" series as well......They advertised it as "Battlestar Galactica an Original Series" that statment in it self was a lie!.......Re Imagined or not! ......the Original is the Original.....and the whole premiss of the show was from the 1970's series, and what really Chapped my @$$ was the first time I saw Starbuck.......He was now a Girl!......Cylons were CGI's that looked more like offspring of the terminator robot.

I guess I'm just a Hopeless romantic about the REAL Original series!

Just my 2 bits
By Your Command

Spectre
Patrol Leader

Post by Spectre » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:16 am

I've seen ONE episode of the new Galactica--that's it. Like Big Al, once I saw Starbuck as a girl--game over!

..and yeah--Boxy was on Adam-12:

And, notice the silver insignia Dillon is wearing...as I previously mentioned:
Oh, FRACK! But I didn't say frack, I said the Queen Mother of all dirty words! The F, dash, dash, dash, dash word!

Big Al
Command Centurion

Post by Big Al » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:09 am

:salute: Good pics and we must be about the same age because I don't hear anyone else bringing up those old 70's series...LOL :lol:

and I do see the silver pins....I say it's just another sloppy detail they missed or perhaps a low budget and alot of dusting off of the old props and someone just missed it, or didn't think it would be a big deal? :huh:

It's always been hard for me to accept the latest instalments in a franchise such as these because I was a kid when all of these came about and I wasn't very popular, kind of a akward kid I guess and the sci fi stuff was my bag.

I had a real hard time with the Star Wars sequels as well, Vader as Luke's Father, Vader's Death, The ending of the second movie left me absolutly flat!!! :wtf: and to this day even though I was a full grown adult when the new trilogy came out, I thought they were well done ....I just think they did not have the same feel as the first movie.

Case in point, The force originaly was everywhere!.... Everybody could channel the force (Like Chi) if you had the right training, Now...it's these little bugs called midi-clorines or some crap that are exclusive to certain chosen people....what a spoiler!

In BSG I realized Richard Hatch was suppose to be the star of that show .....But Starbuck stole the show! and was my favorite.....sure you had Lorene Greene as Adama and now I realize he was cast in that role to appeal to our parents who loved him as the dad from Bonaza!

I always thought Richard Hatch was over acting then I found out he was a soap opra star before BSG. :nah:

But back to my point.....the 1980 debacle left me flat and probably because of the very reasons we are talking about.

And the new series was absolutly insulting to me! :erk:

I will always remember the advertisment "BATTLESTAR GALACTICA AN ORIGINAL SERIES" I couldnt believe they would say that, They took something from the 70's changed a few things, had some real cool CGI, and called it original!

So the explaination is ....Oh Oh It's Re-Imagined.....are you Fraking Kidding me?.......Ok how about this......"It's The Andy Griffith show an original series"......Andy is now a broken down, divorced new york, alcaholic cop, Opie is a strung out drug adict, and Barny (Andy's cop partner) is a Lesbian who can't seem get in touch with her feminine side. Goober is a local crime lord, and aunt Bea is a tough as nails business woman who runs a pie bakeing empire!.............how about that for "Re-Imagined" :frak:

Ok I'll stop ranting now
By Your Command

goldcylon1
First Centurion

Post by goldcylon1 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:37 pm

Spectre wrote:Sooooo, I just got my Galactica 1980 DVD set in the mail. I hadn't seen the show since it first aired. I just watched the first three episodes--not nearly as bad as I remembered, but I haven't got to the Superscouts episode, either.
Some things I noticed--recharge cylinders are missing from the Warrior's gunbelts. Why does Dillon have silver collar pins instead of gold? Some new rank structure they came up with for warriors? Adama and Boomer are still wearing silver.

They went to the small handheld mini blaster no need for magic markers recharges any more lol. As to the rank stucture they prob went with what a prop master had on hand and didnt think a second about it.

Goldcylon@cox.net

Hope It Is The Grog
Squadron Leader

Post by Hope It Is The Grog » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:42 pm

Big Al wrote:
Case in point, The force originaly was everywhere!.... Everybody could channel the force (Like Chi) if you had the right training, Now...it's these little bugs called midi-clorines or some crap that are exclusive to certain chosen people....what a spoiler!
Well, that wasn't quite true at least since Return of the Jedi: "The Force runs strong in your family." And that was foreshadowed when Luke called to Leia in Empire. So the ability to use the Force has been explicitly genetic since the original trilogy.
"I may move to the command chamber. I'm sure they're talking about me while I'm in here."
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sufferin ... 2291161676

johnnybear
Raider Commander

Post by johnnybear » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:45 pm

There are a few good episodes in this set but sadly not that many!
JB

Return to “G1980 General Discussion”