How To: Paint Cylon Boots by Mardikrewe

Tips, tricks, inside secrets, help, sources, items used on making the Cylon Centurion suit to wear. Tell us your story, how you came about collecting your parts to a Centurion, or if you own a complete Centurion costume.
Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

How To: Paint Cylon Boots by Mardikrewe

Post by Cylon-Knight » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:13 am

I am posting the below for our friend, Mardikrewe. 100% his work - and great work it is!

Okay ........ here we go.

Items needed.
1. Denatured alcohol (decided to go this route and glad I did). DA cleans the oil off better and actually leaves the leather looking as though it was lightly sanded.

2. Meltonian Nu-Life color spray #623 silver. Specialized for painting "leather, vinyl and plastic. Sold at boot stores and leather shops.

3. Cellophane tape. Yes, the cheaper the better it seems. Just regular office clear tape like scotch.

4. Newspaper or a roll of painter's paper.

THAT'S it!

1. Carefully cut boot straps.

2. Use denatured alcohol with rag to completely remove oil finish from leather. Some of the color actually comes off so try and be careful "not" to rub too much in area's "not" to be painted. You do though have to go a fair ways past were you plan to stripe so the cellophane tape will stick. I have tried very expensive painters tape and other kinds as well .......... they do not stick well enough to spray paint and leave a gooey finish when pulled off. NOTE UPDATE: Remove cellophane as soon as possible or it too leaves a goo.

3. Tape of ALL area's to be painted. Waste no effort here as the spray will find a way! Take your finger nail and rub down the tape along all area edges paint will be applied before and in between coats. Have 2 rolls handy.
Notice how multiple pieces are required for curve building.

Meltonian Nu-Life spray. Really for renewing the life and or changing the color in leather goods. Oop's a little blurry ................ #623 Silver.

FOLLOW directions :). Light coats ..... I did 4. 2 very light coats, 2 medium coverage coats.
UPDATE! The denatured alcohol leaves the leather finish somewhat raised. In between coats I lightly brushed these fibers down with my finger, smoothing out the area's.
Remember, this stuff dry's fast so you can pull it off within 20 minutes or so. I left the first boot on over night plus thinking I could obtain the same brand in clear coat ........ not made. It left a gooey substance on the boot leather where I had to surgically remove ...... not easy, almost screwed up!

AND THEN! Near laser digital perfection. Very happy, NO sticky or tacky finish ..... HAPPY!
UPDATE: Notice the beer is a wheat beer and a bit cloudy. I believe this is what caused my blurred and cloudy vision. I highly recommend "not" drinking dark beer, hint hint:).

I plan on slightly widening the right boot stripe as in the center, is a bit narrower than the left boot. Otherwise, I could not be happier. (Gauntlets "not" yet attached or centered, slipped on just for the pic).

Hope this helps others.
MARDIKREWE / Jeff

"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin

Post by Red Eye » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:13 am

The boots are coming out GREAT!

Thanks for sharing this nice tutorial.

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:47 am

Great looking stuff, very good looking. I have used that can of spray on paint before myself. I used it for the Warriors boots.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:11 pm

Mardikrewe, how tough is that paint? Think it will scuff off quick? Let's pretend you walked around in gravel for a bit... would you guess it would need repainted?

Mardikrewe
Patrol Member

Post by Mardikrewe » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:11 pm

I have no idea how durable but I can say one thing, Pretty tough stuff. I can firmly rub a finger up and down the painted surface just 24 hours after painting and NO finish change. I would assume if one walked through rocks and what not ...... any painted surface might suffer a bit?

I wanted to clear coat the silver but there is no clear coat in that brand or like as far as I know. It would have to be of like paint and be somewhat flexible.

I just drug a finger nail across the underside of the heel and it DID damage the surface, basically dulling it. I would guess that it might adhere better to the leather but sorry ....... not dragging a nail across my pretty new boot:). Sure, after several wears, you might have to touch up spray it for a continued nice look?

Time will tell on that one. I basically only wear the suit for indoor Con's and a few outdoor cooler weather action. Right now, down here, it is 103 with a heat index of 107. One might last 20 minutes if that in this kind of under suit, 2 layers of rather thick material, maybe 3 if you count some of the seamed area's.

Will know for sure ............. July 17th / 18th.
BableCon in Baton Rouge. babelcon.org ..... not advertising, just seeing if another Cylon might be interested?

Mardikrewe
Patrol Member

Post by Mardikrewe » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:19 pm

Well, just re-striped an area as I mentioned one was a wee bit wider than the other .................... !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! touch's up easily with NO indication of it!

Close to perfectly matched stripes now .............. stop Jeff, only God is perfect!

Question answered itself .............. easy repair work.

Will send picture of re-striped boot later, you have to be within 12 inches to notice and then it is hard..............hehe.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:23 am

Posting the new boot pic for Mardikrewe. I think the boots look dead on. It's like there is a mirror reflecting one boot! Great paint job.

Re-striped, touched up and evened out. Next ............... attach gauntlets.
One more picture to follow. My phone cam makes the left line look zig zaggedy but is not ......... both sides are perfect lines:).
The right boot was touched up ...... can you tell?

Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin

Post by Red Eye » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:54 am

Three words for your boots, Mardikrewe: They look great! :wink:

Return to “Centurion Builders' Forum”