Building my Cylon-Knight

Tips, tricks, inside secrets, help, sources, items used on making the Cylon Centurion suit to wear. Tell us your story, how you came about collecting your parts to a Centurion, or if you own a complete Centurion costume.
GoldCylon
Founder

Re: Building my Cylon-Knight

Post by GoldCylon » Wed May 22, 2013 11:03 pm

Woohoo. Great news. I thought it was in transit to maybe Houston. See you there. I'll be landing in Houston in 12 hours.

Image :cylongold: :cylongold: :cylongold:

Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin

Post by Red Eye » Thu May 23, 2013 12:39 am

Cylon-Knight wrote:Thanks all!

@GoldCylon - it is all over my house right now ;) ... YES it will be at the con. I'm about to fully suit up for the first time and shake out any final bugs then pack it up for the ROAD TRIP tomorrow. 11 hours... :shock:
Hurry up! The Cylon Empire wants... YOU! :cylon:
"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:38 am

Okay, I lied, photo 600 is not "Cylon-Knight" but the Chromed Cylon-Knight coming home in the box/car... the BIG "WHOOO" fully suited up photos are out on the web now, but for the time line of my build thread - here are (were?) the last few cRaZy days leading up to Galacticon 3 where I HAD to be done in time to fully suit up and crush the Colonies of Man (duh) ;)

And here we go... PHOTOS! OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN!!!! :twisted:

ImageImage
Left: HOME!
Right: Cylon puppy is right at the door to welcome Cylon-Knight back home!

ImageImage
Left: ALL the Cylon Puppies have come to welcome Cylon-Knight back home!!
Right: Chroooooooooooooome - Cylon Puppy can see his own puppy face in it! ;)

ImageImage
Left: Me Likey. Cylon-Knight, meet Cylon-Knight
:D :cylon:
Right: Chroooooooooooooome

Cylon Puppy loves chrome chrome chrome chrome

Okay, chrome, blah blah :roll:
GOT TO GET THE REST OF THE SUIT READY!!!!
HURRY GALACTICON IS COMING IN LESS THAN A WEEK!

ImageImage
Left: The Boot, ready to CUT.
Right: CUT!

ImageImage
Left: The Boot, other side, ready to CUT.
Right: CUT!
...then repeat on the other boot

ImageImage
Left: HURRY! HURRY! (out of breath...) Mask the boot to paint on Cylon Evilness
Right: GO GO BOOTS! (Not that kind of go go boots! LOL)

ImageImage
Left: Out to the paint booth :roll:
Right: My chrome paint - Krylon Premium Silver Foil Metallic ($5.49 @ Hobby Lobby)

ImageImage
Left: Oh yeah. SPACE SHOES!
Right: "Houston - This is one small step for Cylons and one giant leap for Cylon-Knight."

ImageImage
Left: Back inside - boots drying - HURRY! The Belt Velcro is going on
Right: More belt cap Velcro goes on. It worked PERFECT. I never had any issues with my caps at Galacticon 3

ImageImage
Left: The Chrome shop did some good work on a black chrome tint on my Knight Chest logo, but it was a bit faint on the edges and it had a goof under the logo.
Right: I touched it up with gloss black paint, and I must say the extra "POW" in contrast is exactly what I wanted. SWEET!

ImageImage
Left: Yikes I'm SCREAMING ALONG! On to the helmet now... mask that baby up!
-okay- In between the left and right photos I dropped my helmet.
:frak:
It was masked up and did okay from the fall off the table to the floor. I didn't think when I set it down and the lop sided weight made it tip. It got a slight crack started at the base of the skull where the parts seam up, but nothing bad chrome tape won't fix up. *WIPES BROW* In fact, I have still never done anything to doctor the crack. Trooped at Galacticon 3 with it - no issues, no spreading.
Right: BAM - Thank you once more to Cylon534 for the tip - here is my own Dupli-Color Gunmetal Gray (BGM0344 Gunmetal Met (84 WA7782) Replaces DSGM344 is what the sticker on the cap says). I got it at AutoZone, the price was average, I have it somewhere if anyone needs it I can dig it up.
Here I am back out at the paint booth. ;)

ImageImage
Left: Shazam! PAINTED
Right: Moving along at light speed still, everything drying, time to do my home made nozzle. Here is the kit tip and the tube I showed in a prior post cut up and ready paint and install on my arm armor.

ImageImage
Left: Test fit
Right: PAINTING! I used the same paint as on the boots.

ImageImage
Left: I got silver paint on me! Better than blood! ;) :roll: I got this building thing all figured out. (as if) LOL
Right: HOLY CRAP... after years and YEARS AND YEARS!!!!! (about 4 years - for real) my own set of Cylon-Knight stickers I lovingly kept in a binder dreaming of *one day* ... are FINALLY out to be put onto my costume - the day is TODAY! (PASSES OUT)

ImageImage
Left: Michael Knight / Cylon-Knight THUMBS UP!
Right: (Watching Fireworks reaction) oooooooooooooooooooohhhh AAAAAHhhhhhhhhh!!!

ImageImage
Left: STICKERS!!!!!!
Right: Okay, forget the stickers - WORK TO DO - GALACTICON in ONE day! Detail painting in the nozzle tip, same black as on the Knight chest logo.

ImageImage
Left: Moving on yet again - the "bolts" for my Battery Belt. Again two sets of converted Doll Eyes (see prior posts) Here they are mounted up on some tape and they won't fly away when I spray them out in my "paint booth" with some silver (again the same silver used on the boots)
Right: OH YEAH! Guess who's ready to kick some Colonial @$$ now?! CYLON-KNIGHT IS! lolz :cylon: :erk:

ImageImage
Left: No time to play with the boots - back to the paint booth! The Eye Insert is up next. Krylon Flat Black
Right: Eye see you. :roll:

ImageImage
Left: Waiting for the paint to dry, on to the next item again. The batter belt "control" box that I was lacking. (See prior posts)
Right: Staples in!

ImageImage
Left: The new box done and installed. I realized AFTER I put it on that I installed it backwards from what I had planned. I just was not paying attention, and in a mad rush! See how the edge of the fabric with the thin white can be seen? I had intended for that to face the belt and in effect hide it. It will show now, but no one will notice. You can also see the two "bolts" from six pictures up that were taped down to spray paint silver. They are installed with super glue. Some of my fellow builders ... ZETA! :P ... doubted they would hold up, but they did like champs. Down, during and home from Galacticon they are still right were I stuck em. However... the belt itself proved to be an issue. It did its job, but gave its all... I will have to rebuild it with a better skeleton, the plastic one broke at a seam and a field repair was needed at Galacticon. Thanks to Jared for helping with a quick fix!!!
Right: The Eye Insert is dry. Cylon-Knight booting up...

ImageImage
Left: mmmm back pack love. Sticker installed!
(And no, it is not a paper towel dispenser... but that's dang funny, isn't it????)
Right: NO TIME TO PLAY! On to the gloves... the dye didn't hold up on the micro fiber stuff so I have to paint those sections to ensure there is no red tint. Here they are ready to head out to the trusty paint booth.

ImageImage
Left: Gloves get a shot of Krylon Satin Black
Right: And while I'm at it, my sword from Sean has a spot of silver from silly me that I'm figured I'd touch up with some Krylon gloss back since I have all this paint and I've not smelled any of the fumes from it ... honest ... :oops:

ImageImage
Left: PAINT BOOTH I LOVE YOU! lol
Right: Mrs. Cylon-Knight was also helping me in my mad dash. She hand stitched on my shoulder bell Velcro to my under suit. ((HUGS)) to Mrs. CK ;)

ImageImage
Left: More back pack love. With the next bunch of paint drying I installed the hoses. They are just hot glued on. eeeeek! :shock: I hoped they would survive Galacticon. And they DID! Still on to this second - no sign of coming off. Sweet!
Right: Gloves dry, time to put on the vinyl accent on the cuffs.

ImageImage
Left: Okay fellow Cylon-Builders since all NONE of you ever asked, then I'll just tell you. *HA* The cuff accent should be 10 1/4" x 1 1/8" for a nice fit on a 1:1 set of Cooper gloves. If you want that measurement in metric units... well... tough. :twisted:
Right: Cordula (who crafted my under suit - I HIGHLY recommend her) sent along extra material. I cut some and used the jar of magic fabric glue stuff she sent from Germany and it rocked.

ImageImage
Left: Get some glue on the Q-Tip, then smear it on the cuff, and lay the fabric down. It was quick to dry and good to go.
Right: MOVING ON AGIAN! My sword scabbard needs the mount installed to finalize it.
So, enter my box of hoarding screws and bolts and stuff. I dug around and found some parts that would work.

ImageImage
Left: See - hoarding pays off... :?
Right: I didn't want to bother cutting the bolts I found (I am lazy) so I put three nuts on them. After it was all together... I thought about it - and I think it goes well with the fact I was lazy - AND - it looks like fantastic robotic construction technology from another world that lowly humans just do not understand and can not copy. *yeah, that's the ticket*

Left: It is hard to see but look close... in the scabbard there were two bolt heads from the mount. To cover them up and protect the sword itself from being scratched rubbing on them I glued in a bit of the same fabric that my battery belt is made of. Just as wide as the scabbard and about 9 inches or so. Enough to cover the screw heads. Adds a bit of looks and functionality. Win-Win!

ImageImage
OMG I have Cylon'd more in the last day or two, than in the last 4 years. My entire Kitchen table is Cylon central.

The grill is painted (same paint as the sail panels) I have photos of it being painted... can't remember if that was a past post or not?
(I TAKE LOTS OF PHOTOS!)
I installed the grill with just blue sticky putty. No time for anything else! (I'll revisit a better install later)
Almost time to pack for Glacticon 3!!!!!!!!

SO - this is IT, The End. *EPIC FAN FARE MUSIC*

(Click the 4 below pics for larger versions if you want)

4 years, 4 months, 22 days... and after Blood (literally) - Sweat (literally) and Tears (of Joy)...
...I have BUILT my CYLON-KNIGHT!

.......now of course, I didn't build Cylon-Knight alone. I'll have more posts thanking everyone - there are SO many. And why shouldn't the longest running thread on this forum have the longest post ever (this one!?) DANG!!!!!!

P.S. Is this The End... or JUST THE BEGINNING!
I have more updates and items to do - as you builders know, a build is never really "done."

:byyourcommand:
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

Red Eye

Post by Red Eye » Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:08 am

EXCELLENT report of an EXCELLENT build! Thank you. :salute:

So glad you made it right in time to Galacticon!
"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

Jenne
Flight Leader

Post by Jenne » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:40 pm

:cylongold: Impressive most impressive :cylon:
Congratulation Centurion :!:

sean
Flight Leader

Post by sean » Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:19 pm

No time like the last minute hey.......You rock bro!

Darth Clayton
Raider Pilot

Post by Darth Clayton » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:51 pm

What kind of bracket is that you used on your scabbard. I went to Lowe's when I got off of work, and couldn't find anything remotely resembling that style. And the guy at Lowe's was about useless even with a photo.. :erk:

Do you have an extra one that I might be able to get from you? :wink:

I hate waiting till the last minute to get all this stuff done, but it always seems to happen.. :roll:
Jeff

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:07 pm

It is just a strip of aluminum melt bent to fit. Nothing special at all. Heck a small draw handle would work since it is 100% unseen.

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:11 pm

Going back a re-reading this build is a woot. :cylongold: :lol: :cylongold:

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:02 pm

Hi Darth, GoldCylon is right... It is bent metal.
Here is a pic of it:

My brother made it for me. I'll see about another.

@GoldCylon - thanks! Glad you like my thread, you were a key player in my build.
:salute:

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:13 pm

Seeing all the new Centurions going into production makes me happy and remember my own, not to recently finished build - AND - I'm trying to clean up my junk so I can make a place to display my suit. So I have to stop pack ratting and get rid of some stuff that I don't "NEED." That includes the plastic bits that I trimmed off my suit - "back in the day."

Here is my Cylon-Knight head saying Goodbye plastic bits!
...I'm glad I spread out everything, I found a spare part in the mix I want to keep.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:42 pm

Okay... so shortly after Galacticon 3, I got home and Mrs. Cylon-Knight and I threw a Star Wars party for our visiting nephews to have local family and friends over for some sci fi fun... BEST AUNT AND UNCLE EVER!
Well, wouldn't you know it a real life Cylon showed up to show everyone exactly what Empire is the "correct" Empire to be part of. ;)

:cylon: :erk: Here I am taking out a Jedi:

When I went to take off the Centurion costume the make shift patch to my failed battery belt done in the Hilton hotel room finally gave out 100%. I've put it off fixing it till tonight. However now my belt is back and better so I can terrorize lowly humans that come to my door begging for their lives, oh and Halloween candy tomorrow night.

ImageImage
Left: Here are the three Velcro bits that held the circle part together. It had broken in to two separate parts on me where the circle is. The thin sheet plastic foundation cracked. And the Velcro saved the day in Houston.
Right: A "real" belt is now the main backbone for my Cylon belt. I cut off the buckle.

ImageImage
Left: I cut the belt down a bit to the length needed... I bought the longest belt they had.
Right: The belt tucks into the black fabric wrapping the original sheet plastic core.

ImageImage
Left: The other end of the belt tucks in the same way on the other side and a little new super glue to some of the black fabric to span the two parts.
Right: I close up the Velcro flap and the Velcro actually keeps the belt in place without any other need to glue/screw/secure it! #WINNING ;)

SO NOW, Halloween 2013 (the year of the Knight as you remember ;) ) is good to go. Small human children can cower in fear or fetch the candy when I chuck it out into the yard - FETCH! LOL (Just kidding... maybe :shock: ) EVIL CYLON!

Photos to follow - I hope. Mrs. Cylon-Knight will have to capture the Halloween mayhem and havoc as I'll be suited up. :cylon:
:byyourcommand:

Red Eye

Post by Red Eye » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:09 am

Great repair on your belt.

Now Cylon-Knight is complete again... let the attack begin! :cylon:

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:51 pm

What?! Huh?! YES! CYLON-KNIGHT IS BACK...
Brace yourselves: I did an entire project - QUICKLY.
Didn't take four years and I didn't even bleed! ;)

Introducing my Duct Tape Mannequin!

Here are my supplies. Duct tape - had a few extra rolls. I didn't want to run out.
PVC joints and pipes. In the photo you can see the basic layout I used to construct the skeleton.

ImageImage
Left: My wife wrapped me up in Duct Tape for my birthday! (Yes the Cylon-Knights are a wild couple ;) lol)
Here is the suit just cut off of me. Let me tell you, it is quite a trip to be wrapped up in duct tape from your neck to your ankles. :shock:

Right: The start of the PVC skeleton

Here is my Cylon "work shop" - state of the art. :roll:

Cylon bones. I planned on my guy holding the rifle when done.
That's why the arms are bent as they are - I'm still working on getting the rifle in to the hands though.

ImageImage
Left: I have seen other mannequin builds use the PVC "glue" for joints. But I was scared that I'd glue the stuff then want to make a change 2 minutes later.
So, I had plenty of duct tape... used it for a strong but not permanent joint solution.

Right: After I got the mannequin stuffed with mail order catalog pages and standing up. I noticed that we didn't see eye-to-eye - really. For some reason my duct tape clone was shorter than me.
I realized it was the lower legs compressing. So I had to do some surgery. I slit open the ankles and added an extension to the PVC legs. After a test standing him back up we were on the level again. So I did the same operation to the other foot.

ImageImage
Left: HOORAY! My duct tape mannequin rocks!

Right: Time to play dress up. :cylon:
I quickly realized that the fixed arm pose was a BAD idea. You can't get cloths over arms that don't move with outstretched elbows!!! FRACK
My solution was to remove a lot of stuffing and dislocate the right shoulder and remove the right forearm as well. The right arm was basically unstuffed and removed! YIKES
I also ran into trouble on the feet. The stuffed socks were a pain to try and get into the boots. So they got cut open, unstuffed and then stuck into the PVC and the boots stuffed with paper.
Well, one for now... Next time I deal with him - I'll stuff the other boot. Also I need to invent something to get the gloves more sturdy and able to grip the rifle.

ImageImage
Left: As I've said before... Cylon Puppy is always watching ;) He's a good helper.

Right: CYLON-KNIGHT LIVES 24/7 now!
Yes, he's held up by the ironing board in that photo. My next project is a super awesome stand. Red Eye and I have emailed some ideas around... we Cylons are a crafty bunch. Stay tuned!

groupleaderzeta
Squadron Leader

Post by groupleaderzeta » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:13 am

Looking vary good, just don't wake up in the middle of the night and freak out thinking someone is in the house. :cylongold:

Return to “Centurion Builders' Forum”