Building my Cylon-Knight

Tips, tricks, inside secrets, help, sources, items used on making the Cylon Centurion suit to wear. Tell us your story, how you came about collecting your parts to a Centurion, or if you own a complete Centurion costume.
Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Re: Building my Cylon-Knight

Post by Cylon-Knight » Mon May 13, 2013 10:14 am

Thanks guys. Yes, Red Eye, my armor is in the expert hands of Hand-Schaub and his Chromer. No worries it will arrive back to me soon - no doubt looking better than I ever expected.

Tonight I'll paint the rest of the above parts... the other side. Man, this morning my kitchen smelled like drying spray paint... I'm buzzing.... whooooooo ;) LOL

"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Tue May 14, 2013 9:56 pm

ImageImage
Pondered my home made belt today. Here is the plan.
Left: The blocks covered up (see prior posts)
Right: Ontop of the block (well on the backs) will go fabric, then sheet plastic

ImageImage
Left: The fabric will fold up, and then screws will go in to fasten the blocks to the belt
Right: Then the fabric will fold over again and be glued shut. All closed up, no risk of the screw heads cutting into the under suit. Then Velcro like screen used to close/wear it.

This is all prototype/idea stuff... I need to get more sheet plastic yet to fully build it.

ImageImage
Left: The Nozzle needs a little more so that it can mount up to the angle of the arm armor.
I'll use this clear tube of Mrs. Cylon-Knight's - from her scrapbook goodies.
Right: See... all glued up/painted up and trimed down it'll be Cylonawesome

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Tue May 14, 2013 10:00 pm

Triumph TR7. "The shape of things to come"

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Fri May 17, 2013 10:35 pm

Okay, one more item to wrap up for my Centurion to make it to Galacticon are my 1:1 gloves. My first set were 99.9% correct - these are dead on 1:1 and MUCH more fexiable, and fit my hands better... no more OUCH on my little finger.

ImageImage
Left: Here we go again ;)
Right: Snip snip

ImageImage
Left: Going... going
Right: Gone!

ImageImage
Left: Oh what a fun (but messy) hobby. Didn't cut myself either! *w00t*
Right: Now the dye, looks NICE!!!

Hockey Glove... Cylon hand!
:byyourcommand:

And another thank you to Hand-Schaub for helping me with a chrome shop.
The shop called me today and let me know that Cylon-Knight has climbed back into his box to travel home to Kansas City... all nice and SHINY!!! Be sure to wave has he goes by you :roll:

Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin
It’s my birthday

Post by Red Eye » Sat May 18, 2013 1:28 am

Good work on the gloves!

So your armor is on the way back now... can't wait to see it in all its CHROMED glory. :cylon:
"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sun May 19, 2013 12:37 am

More work...

ImageImage
Left: Well, the dye was awesome for the most part, but I see that the red parts of my gloves are actually a mesh that took the dye and the "inner fabric" is not wanting to play along. It has a slight red cast to it still even after two healthy dye sessions.
Right: Close up of the mesh I'm talking about.

ImageImage
Left: Thumb area same story
Right: Close up

These fussy "reddish" parts I'll spray paint with a satin black paint. The Rest of the glove the dye worked perfect. I won't paint the palm, between the fingers, etc. etc. Just the read thumb section and bars on the back hand.

Also, started in on my belt today. The ideas in the above ^ post will work great.
ImageImage
Left: Here is my paper belt on my fabric. I measured and cut and taped up this mock up before I started to cut and waste any of my new sheet plastic. I found in this photo that I don

Red Eye
It’s my birthday

Post by Red Eye » Sun May 19, 2013 4:26 am

All your hard work will pay off, I'm certain!

Keep it up...
"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Sun May 19, 2013 9:25 am

Power station platform is showing good progress. In short the Cylon Empire will have an other Cylon Centurion ready for combat with the Colonial's. Now just keep the humans entertained till the end.

Hand-Schaub
First Centurion

Post by Hand-Schaub » Sun May 19, 2013 11:50 am

Chugging along there! It will be nice that you have all these other parts nearly done before getting your armor. This way you can devote your time to it.
The belt especially is looking great. I know a few guys who need belts and this will be great help to them when they build theirs.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Mon May 20, 2013 1:26 am

@Red Eye - will do! I hope it does pay off, I need that first place costume contest award... or *ZAP HUMANS* lol

@GoldCylon - I love it! All those HUMAN CLOWNS. lol

@Hand-Schaub - I can't be too proud of the technological terror I'm constructing... the ability to make a cheese ball belt is insignificant next to the power of The Vulpa. :roll:

MORE on the belt (and I must say, I am pretty happy with it... my second scratch build remember. So you pros just be nice while I sniff my glue).
ImageImage
Left: I put on another section - able to squeeze out a bit more glue from what I had.
Right: I BOUGHT MORE MORE MORE MORE GLUE. :shock: Can't have enough glllllllllueee :shock: lol

ImageImage
Left: Cylon Kitty... is always on the prowl. She approves of belt progress and says... "meow, meow, HISS"
Right: Stainless wood screws. Who needs "the force" when you have a hard ware store to bind stuff together?

ImageImage
Left: Close up
Right: My fabric, needs cut to size to fit the main section of the belt

ImageImage
Left: Cut! Ready to continue
Right: Fabric is in place and had a good first screw (hey - get your mind out of the gutter!)

ImageImage
Left: More screwing (HEY - don't go there!!!)
Right: Here we go. Four installed, three to go.

ImageImage
Left: Fully screwed (Oh, I give up... just screw it - lol :roll:)
Right: The last bit of fabric will fold down as I have held in place in this photo. I was thinking of gluing it shut (I have plenty of glue *ahem*)
... but I saw the screen used one has Velcro to close it shut and I think I'll go that route too. Not just to be more 1:1ish, but for access to the screws if need be. AND the big deal for the fold over for me was to keep the screws from touching my under suit. NO RISK of damaging it can even pretend to happen... the 1:1 aspect was just a lucky coincidence.

ImageImage
Left: So here we have it, all the blocks installed. Brother Cylon-Knight is cutting me the final block of wood for the power cell bit tomorrow. Then I'll have to encase it in plastic as it will be 1/4 too short vs. my other blocks. I might go back later and use that extra hollow space to add some LEDs or a port, like the "real" belts have to plug in for power. For Galacticon it will just be a solid black... no time to get to that stuff this week.
Right: It is hard to tell in the photo as it is black on black, but I've added the Velcro.

ImageImage
Left: The hook part of the Velcro on the other side
Right: You can see the Velcro better here - and the red arrows show how my trusty doll eyes can repurposed on the belt as well as for my Garrison Commander insignia. I will cut off the pegs, paint them chrome and then glue them to the belt to be another 1:1ish nod. As shown below:

NOW - Hand-Schaub could probably figure it out without me saying... but If you are counting along I've posted up 599 images to my build thread.
And at 8:30AM I will be at my Post Office banging on the door saying LET ME IN (well, maybe not that dramatic).
My chromed armor is there ready for pick up... So get ready for photo #600... Cylon-Knight!

:cylon:

Hand-Schaub
First Centurion

Post by Hand-Schaub » Mon May 20, 2013 1:37 am

600 and 601!

and yes - look at that super accurate backpack! Line down the center back but smooth on top!! Your commander is looking after his buddy Cylon!
Attachments
johnback2.jpg
johnback1.jpg

Red Eye
It’s my birthday

Post by Red Eye » Mon May 20, 2013 3:16 am

Great updates and even more great photos!

All I can say is: WOW!

sean
Flight Leader

Post by sean » Wed May 22, 2013 9:56 pm

Looking sweet! way to go bro!

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Wed May 22, 2013 10:19 pm

OK so where is the suit at currently? Is it going to make to the con in time?

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Wed May 22, 2013 10:51 pm

Thanks all!

@GoldCylon - it is all over my house right now ;) ... YES it will be at the con. I'm about to fully suit up for the first time and shake out any final bugs then pack it up for the ROAD TRIP tomorrow. 11 hours... :shock:

Return to “Centurion Builders' Forum”