Portable Cylon Voice?

Tips, tricks, inside secrets, help, sources, items used on making the Cylon Centurion suit to wear. Tell us your story, how you came about collecting your parts to a Centurion, or if you own a complete Centurion costume.
Huttman
Patrol Leader

Re: Portable Cylon Voice?

Post by Huttman » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:22 am

would be nice if they made it for androids as well, let alone, just to use as a small proggy on your PC

-At what age should you tell a highway that it is adopted?

Toaster
Citizen

Post by Toaster » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:56 pm

I think I'm going to try this. (Now that my sandtrooper is finished, time for my next project.)

I will be using an iPod Dock-to-3.5mm cable to connect a 2nd-Generation iPod Touch to my Akers voice amp. Add in a standard 3.5mm headset mic to the input jack of the iPod, plus I'll loop my MP3 of the Cylon Warble through the device, and problem solved. Cheaper than $400 for a HyperDyne, although those HyperDynes are great, just beyond my price range. :)
Last edited by Toaster on Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wupsje
Centurion

Post by Wupsje » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:30 pm

I've tried the iPhone app with an external mic and little amp.
There's a problem; as soon as the mic doesn't pick up any sound, the Phone opens the gain
causing the sound to go: squeeeek noize noize .. crap.. :frak:

I've send the app creators an email asking about this problem.
They said they would look into it and there might be an update that will fix this problem
but they don't know yet... and may be there won't be an update :cry:

Let's keep our fingers crossed that they will find a solution to this.
Otherwise, I might know another hack to fix it.. adding a super high (or low) pitched sound
to the mic (that you don't hear) with an external ciquitboard letting the mic "think" it is picking up sound
and not opening the gain...

let's keep our fingers crossed the app makes come with a nice update
that will save me lots of time making this hack...

Toaster
Citizen

Post by Toaster » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:29 pm

I'm going to have the iPod and the speaker mounted in the abdomen and insulated with audio-foam, with the mic cable running up through the chest armor beneath my balaclava. Hopefully that will prevent feedback, but it might not. The speaker is 10 watts, so I will be a very LOUD Cylon... :D

Wupsje
Centurion

Post by Wupsje » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:52 pm

Toaster wrote:I'm going to have the iPod and the speaker mounted in the abdomen and insulated with audio-foam, with the mic cable running up through the chest armor beneath my balaclava. Hopefully that will prevent feedback, but it might not. The speaker is 10 watts, so I will be a very LOUD Cylon... :D
It's not the feedback that's making it go squeeeek.. It's the mic gain that is opened when you don't speak.
Alternative: Don't put it in live mode

DougMorency
Patrol Member

Post by DougMorency » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:24 am

Wupsje wrote:
Toaster wrote:I'm going to have the iPod and the speaker mounted in the abdomen and insulated with audio-foam, with the mic cable running up through the chest armor beneath my balaclava. Hopefully that will prevent feedback, but it might not. The speaker is 10 watts, so I will be a very LOUD Cylon... :D
It's not the feedback that's making it go squeeeek.. It's the mic gain that is opened when you don't speak.
Alternative: Don't put it in live mode
There is a second app called Sonic Vox, that is no longer on the Itunes store, so you will need to be jailbroken, and the get it from here

http://fulliphone.net/sonic-vox-ipa/

DougMorency
Patrol Member

Post by DougMorency » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:34 pm

Here is a Demo video of the Cylon Voice App.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91vLU5pK ... r_embedded

Skullbeast
Outpost Commander

Portable Cylon Voice?

Post by Skullbeast » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:30 pm

justin oi
Centurion

Post by justin oi » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:04 am

I just upgraded to an iphone 4 and still have my 3gs kicking around doing nothing. I figure if I buy the app , put it in my old phone and then find a way to mount it inside my (sonn-ish to be completed) helmet i could use some small iphone speakers i got at circuit city that have volume control?...maybe mount the speakers into the top of the backpack once i build it? I know that it would take away from the looks,but it would be cool to be able to have that classic voice. The speakers I have would be way too big for the helm or breasplate...but might be ok on a bigger piece of the armour. Just an idea I had swimming around my head....I haven"t put any real research into it yet. Does it seem like a feasible plan to you guys? I'm going to download the app sometime soon and give it a mock up to see if it even has a chance of working well enough to justify the effort. I'll let you know how it goes. I'll try to post the speakers I was talking about as well. Theyre the basic cheap ones that acordion out a bit and the bases connect by magnets.

:byyourcommand:
By the patchy chest-hair of Baltar!

Skullbeast
Outpost Commander

Portable Cylon Voice?

Post by Skullbeast » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:10 am

You can
Get a phone holding clip and mount that in the the helmet for easy removal.

justin oi
Centurion

Post by justin oi » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:46 pm

will do skullbeast..thanks! :salute:
By the patchy chest-hair of Baltar!

Galactifan
Flight Leader

Post by Galactifan » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:09 am

Qneo wrote: To read more about the app: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cylon-vo ... 72157?mt=8
Qneo, thanks for the info on the "Cylon Voive" iPhone app! I just bought it.

kingart4
Spare Parts

Post by kingart4 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:48 pm

On a similar note, I just want a simple something where you press a button and it says "By your command" in the classic voice. Something like Build-a-bear Workshops have where you can record your voice and stuff it in the bear. But I dont have a Build a Bear near. Any ideas?

Arthur
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=542023151
-- ------
In Service - Arthur Smith
Joust Team: http://www.Joustevolution.net
Ministry: http://www.HaveYouNotRead.com

kmbbsg
Spare Parts

Post by kmbbsg » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:59 pm

kingart4 have you seen the Hallmark Christmas ornament Cylon ? If you can bring yourself to tear it apart it should do what you are looking for.

Toaster
Citizen

Post by Toaster » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:41 am

I just got everything together - mic/headset, 10 watt speaker, the iPhone qNeo app, and my iPhone, and it works great except for feedback. That, and for some reason at first iTunes kept launching on my device every time I started to speak...

"By your... Words are spoken to be broken
Feelings are intense, words are trivial
Pleasures remain, so does their pain
Words are meaningless and forgettable
... command." :shock:

I solved that problem by just pressing pause instead of quitting the iTunes player over and over with no success. Voila - no more Depeche Mode instead of Cylon. Once I get the speaker mounted in the chest-piece, I'm hoping that will end the deafening feedback, and I'll have a real-time passable Cylon voice. :)

Return to “Centurion Builders' Forum”