Portable Cylon Voice?

Tips, tricks, inside secrets, help, sources, items used on making the Cylon Centurion suit to wear. Tell us your story, how you came about collecting your parts to a Centurion, or if you own a complete Centurion costume.
Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Re: Portable Cylon Voice?

Post by Cylon-Knight » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:05 pm

VERY COOL INFO!
Can't wait to hear a sample.
Great work.

"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin
It’s my birthday

Post by Red Eye » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:45 pm

Copy that.
"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

Wupsje
Centurion

Post by Wupsje » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:43 am

@ toaster.

I have tried the external speaker with the voice app.
The app sounds great, but the feedback is caused by the microphone gain that is opened up
by the phone itself when there is silence. there is no work around with placing your speaker
somewhere else. This has to be solved by the app makers (and they don't)

Using it in the not-live mode works best.

The only option I see is adding a circuit that adds an non hear able sound
(very high or very low pitched) to the microphone signal
that prevents the microphone from opening up.

Grtz,

Pale Haunt
Spare Parts

Post by Pale Haunt » Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:36 pm

Wupsje wrote:@ toaster.

I have tried the external speaker with the voice app.
The app sounds great, but the feedback is caused by the microphone gain that is opened up
by the phone itself when there is silence. there is no work around with placing your speaker
somewhere else. This has to be solved by the app makers (and they don't)

Using it in the not-live mode works best.

The only option I see is adding a circuit that adds an non hear able sound
(very high or very low pitched) to the microphone signal
that prevents the microphone from opening up.

Grtz,
I'm wondering if you could wire in the electronics from a noise suppressor guitar pedal. It's made to do basically the same thing, and that's squelch the "white noise" before actual sound is pushed to the speaker. Perhaps, with something like a Boss NS-2 between your mic input and the iPhone, or perhaps even from the headphone jack to the speaker, you can hush the sound.

Paul

Panick
Spare Parts

Post by Panick » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:08 pm

Wouldn't a simple switch between the out of the iOS device and the speaker, say on the belt, be effective enough to give you control over the app?

Although, I do like Pauls idea of connecting a noise gate after the iOS device. A friend is using my pedals at the moment or I would be testing that out right now.

Spectre
Patrol Leader

Re:

Post by Spectre » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:53 pm

nashslash wrote:I did find this, but hay I'm no electronics builder. I'd love to hear from anyone who's actually made this and has some samples of what it actually sounds like... until then still waiting..

http://www.elektor.com/magazines/2008/m ... 2560.lynkx

I made the new version that has buttons instead of pots to control sounds.
It's actually closer to a cylon voice than expected--and certainly worthy of including in a build.
Oh, FRACK! But I didn't say frack, I said the Queen Mother of all dirty words! The F, dash, dash, dash, dash word!

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:08 am

Oh ho!? Audio file? Or a Video (with audio sample) - PLEASE!? :D
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

goldcylon1
First Centurion

Post by goldcylon1 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:30 am

I'd love to hear a sample as well. :cylongold:
Goldcylon@cox.net

Toaster
Citizen

Post by Toaster » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:41 pm

A "Non-Update" Update...

I've tried the Qneo in several different configurations on my armor, and indeed there is NO work-around to the feedback. :(

Interestingly enough, by putting my iPhone behind the helmet's mouth-grill and leaving the Qneo app in NON-Live mode, it works halfway decent. There's a pause between what I say in my own voice and what is repeated by the phone in Qneo's Cylon voice. Also, if you listen closely, you can hear my voice whispering before the Cylon voice repeats what I whispered, although much louder. Still, in a noisy environment like a convention or a Halloween party, it would probably work well enough, with no audible human voice before the Cylon voice is heard. I wish I had thought of that months ago, before I taped several amps, wires, a microphone, a splitter, etc, into my helmet and chest-plate.
:frak:

Off topic: Speaking of armor, I have a complete set of fiberglass Centurion armor. Can somebody in the eastern half of the USA please, PLEASE in the name of the Lords of Kobol, tell me how to get that armor chromed? Please PM me, the chroming and painting the boots are all that's left before I'm finished with this thing. Thanks!
:byyourcommand:

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:52 pm

I need to try my wireless blue tooth head set to see how that works.

Toaster
Citizen

Post by Toaster » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:13 pm

Qneo didn't recognize the input of my Bluetooth headset, either that or it didn't output to the speaker as I was speaking. If somebody can get that solved, we're in business. :D

Otherwise, that other voice-changer that Spectre built is looking increasingly like a really good idea, if only I knew anything about building electronics... :oops:

goldcylon1
First Centurion

Post by goldcylon1 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:00 am

Toaster wrote:Qneo didn't recognize the input of my Bluetooth headset, either that or it didn't output to the speaker as I was speaking. If somebody can get that solved, we're in business. :D

Otherwise, that other voice-changer that Spectre built is looking increasingly like a really good idea, if only I knew anything about building electronics... :oops:

Concur and add me to the list of electronically challenged :cylongold:
Goldcylon@cox.net

Dingolingo
Centurion

Post by Dingolingo » Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:43 pm

how did this end up working out? can no longer get the elektor file anymore.. was looking at giving it a whirl.. unless someone has the file etc sitting around that wouldnt mind sharing

FLIGHTLDR SERPENTINE
Squadron Leader

Post by FLIGHTLDR SERPENTINE » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:48 am

What sort of amp do you guys use? I know there are a few little ones out there. Any recommendations?
:cylongold: "SEARCH FOR WRECKAGE... LEAVE NO SURVIVORS..."

Toaster
Citizen

Post by Toaster » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:08 pm

Hi folks, sorry to resurrect a dormant thread, but I'm back and found something interesting. A group called Iron Brothers of Topeka have a "super-Cylon" costume (it's huge) that has a working real-time Cylon voice-changer with the qNeo app. Somehow they figured it out! :grin:

Here's a video showing their costume, and you can see their audio-rig at the 33:20 mark. I can't figure out how they did it, but maybe somebody with more practical skills than I have can figure it out. I may email them to see if they're willing to share how they did it; they seem like real nice folks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2v-BlihWoE

Return to “Centurion Builders' Forum”