Locating armor and undersuit in Atlanta

Tips, tricks, inside secrets, help, sources, items used on making the Cylon Centurion suit to wear. Tell us your story, how you came about collecting your parts to a Centurion, or if you own a complete Centurion costume.
11B30B4
Spare Parts

Locating armor and undersuit in Atlanta

Post by 11B30B4 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:04 pm

Greetings centurions,
I have been a member here since 2008 and have visited from time to time. I did not really start into the cosplay thing until 2012. Most of everything I have built is over on Replica Prop Forum under the same user name (11b30b4). I try to do pretty extensive write-up on what I build to help others with their cosplay and extend what I have learned and the mistakes I have made. I do not do any of this for profit or as a job.
I live in the Metropolitan Atlanta area and have been attending DragonCon since the very first one in 1987. For 2017, my cosplay was a Mandalorian. Here is a lint to the build https://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=278366
So I built everything from scratch except the boots, gloves, undershirt, and pants (although I did alter the pants) I have built my own vacuum forming machine (24”x24” and made all the armor bucks from a suit of Boba Fett Armor that was lent to me. I purchased an extremely bad helmet from a guy on etsy and had to do extensive work to make it look correct then I roto cast my won helmet. All this was done with my best friend DAC.
So for years we have wanted to do Cylons. We even drew-up some concept artwork for steampunk Cylons; however, we never got around to making anything in the BSG universe. That all changes for 2018. I will be building a Cylon Centurion from scratch except for the boots and gloves. What I am hoping for is someone in the Atlanta area who has a full set of armor and the under suit to use a guide. Based on the locator map there are no Cylons in Atlanta.
If I am unable to source the armor and undersuit, I will have to make all the bucks from scratch by hand. If anyone can help out with this, I will offer them the same deal I did for my friend with the Boba Fett Armor. Lend me your armor and I will return it in roughly 2 months’ time, undamaged along with a full set of new armor vacuum formed by me. Thanks in advance and feel free to e-mail me at 11b30b4@gmail.com.
If all goes well this will be the place I blog the build and hopefully make some new friends.

Molon Labe

FLIGHTLDR SERPENTINE
Squadron Leader

Re: Locating armor and undersuit in Atlanta

Post by FLIGHTLDR SERPENTINE » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:15 pm

I understand the desire to do it all yourself. There is great satisfaction there, but it sounds like possibly a recasting proposition, and I think the community sort-of frowns on this. I'm not lobbing accusations, as you wouldn't be so upfront about it if you were trying to rip someone off. Are you looking to make vacu-form bucks directly from the armor or sculpt armor based on the borrowed armor?
:cylongold: "SEARCH FOR WRECKAGE... LEAVE NO SURVIVORS..."

11B30B4
Spare Parts

Post by 11B30B4 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:37 pm

Flightleader, thank you for your concern and comments. My first attempt would be to make the bucks from scratch and using the armor lent as a reference; however, if that fails, some of the parts may be recast. Understand that I am not doing this for profit or intent on selling it. If you follow the link from my previous build of Mandalorian armor you will see the Ernest attempt to make the armor from scratch. Many of the bucks that I developed were made from scratch from MDF which obviously could not be a recast. The helmet was purchased and recast after two weeks of reworking, at that point it was more our version of the helmet than the guys who originally rotocast it.

In any case, given that I have received no responses to my request (save yours), I expect this is mute and I will be crafting everything from scratch. I put this request out because I wanted to have something as a physical reference point. I also wanted to gauge how helpful this forum would be. I have no interest in taking away from anyones property.

Anyway, thanks for your comments. Whatever route I end up going, I will share my build here and hopefully share what I learn with others.
Molon Labe

nicksdad
Centurion

Post by nicksdad » Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:39 pm

I think I can help possibly.
I have multiple vac form parts taken directly from a screen used suit.
About five years ago a friend contacted me because he was in a time restraint and couldn't find a vac former near him.
He knew I had a machine and he had the plaster bucks that they had taken impressions from inside the screen used pieces.
I got most of the suit minus a few arm and boot parts but the pulls I do have are as close to original that I have seen and I used to own an original suit.
Let me know what you need.

11B30B4
Spare Parts

Post by 11B30B4 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:26 am

Nicksdad, thank you for your offer. I just sent you an e-mail from this forum.
Molon Labe

Return to “Centurion Builders' Forum”