Cylon needs advice

Tips, tricks, inside secrets, help, sources, items used on making the Cylon Centurion suit to wear. Tell us your story, how you came about collecting your parts to a Centurion, or if you own a complete Centurion costume.
welshchris77
Patrol Leader

Cylon needs advice

Post by welshchris77 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:11 pm

So I purchased a 'full outfit', sword and scabard and VOICE/WARBLE SFX SAMPLE PLAYER 1.4 from Kropserkel today, its going to be August before I get everything (fingers crossed) but I dont mind waiting as I am used to that being involved in the costuming world.

I also realize that the costume will need to be tweaked alot to make it more accurate and be more comfortable for trooping, im used to that from trooping in TK armour! :grin:

I am a newbie to 'byyourcommand.net' but I am sure you guys will help me out with a few questions :D

I got the Roland aira VT3 with decksaver, not sure what speakers or power pack I will be using yet.
I have been looking at 20000mAh power packs on ebay but the output voltages vary on them, can anyone advice on what is best to power the VT3?
I see some have used a Anker powerpack and they output 4.8amps, is this what is needed to power a VT3?,
the cheaper powerpacks only output 1-2amps.

Have no idea what speakers I will be using yet either!

Chris Lewis

bishopdonmiguel
Phalanx Leader

Re: Cylon needs advice

Post by bishopdonmiguel » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:55 pm

The VT-3 pulls ~350mA so most power packs will work fine. Divide the mAh of the pack you're looking at by 350 and that will give you a rough idea how long it will run (i.e. 20,000 / 350 = 57 hours).

You can power it with a standard USB output (5v) by using the Type B USB port on the back. Any pack that is designed to charge a phone, etc., via USB should work. You can use a 12v pack but you'll need a 12v>5v step down supply.

You'll want to power the amp with a separate supply. Utilizing the same supply typically results in ground noise.

welshchris77
Patrol Leader

Post by welshchris77 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:58 am

bishopdonmiguel wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:55 pm
The VT-3 pulls ~350mA so most power packs will work fine. Divide the mAh of the pack you're looking at by 350 and that will give you a rough idea how long it will run (i.e. 20,000 / 350 = 57 hours).

You can power it with a standard USB output (5v) by using the Type B USB port on the back. Any pack that is designed to charge a phone, etc., via USB should work. You can use a 12v pack but you'll need a 12v>5v step down supply.

You'll want to power the amp with a separate supply. Utilizing the same supply typically results in ground noise.
wow, thanks so much for the advice and information :salute:
electronics is not not one of my strong points :roll:
Chris Lewis

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:05 pm

Same here... This Cylon can't do electronics too well either. :shock:
bishopdonmiguel (our resident Colonial Bastestar stowaway) is helping me greatly with the VT-3.
...I need to get back to mine. I've got to devise a harness to hold it all in between my under suit and armor. I'm not attaching it to my armor.

Any 501st items that might lend themselves to that, welshchris77? Do Vader, Fett or Tie pilot bits, items have any type of harness system? Or are they just basically suspenders?
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

welshchris77
Patrol Leader

Post by welshchris77 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:21 pm

Cylon-Knight wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:05 pm
Same here... This Cylon can't do electronics too well either. :shock:
bishopdonmiguel (our resident Colonial Bastestar stowaway) is helping me greatly with the VT-3.
...I need to get back to mine. I've got to devise a harness to hold it all in between my under suit and armor. I'm not attaching it to my armor.

Any 501st items that might lend themselves to that, welshchris77? Do Vader, Fett or Tie pilot bits, items have any type of harness system? Or are they just basically suspenders?
After reading through a few threads I can see why it may not be wise to mount all the electrics into the back as the weight adds up, especially with the krop kit as it pulls the toilet seat into your neck, ouch!, I have seen another member on the forums use a small type of rucksack his wife made that houses his electronics that sits high up towards the back of his shoulders so that the amour pack covers it, sounds like a good way to go!, not sure how this works in relation to his undersuit though! hmmm

I dont know about some of the other star wars costumes but my TK utilizes nylon, elastic, velcro and tandy line 24 snaps, when I get all the bits together I will start brainstorming some ideas!
Chris Lewis

Return to “Centurion Builders' Forum”