Kropserkel backpack question - modding

Tips, tricks, inside secrets, help, sources, items used on making the Cylon Centurion suit to wear. Tell us your story, how you came about collecting your parts to a Centurion, or if you own a complete Centurion costume.
itookadooku
Patrol Member

Kropserkel backpack question - modding

Post by itookadooku » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:41 pm

Im trying to mod my Kropserkel backpack. Ive looked at a couple other threads about the modded backpack and have a couple of questions.

I have already cut the back portion out of the "toilet seat" and got it to fit with the angle on the back pack. Im insecure right now at how this angle will fit due to not knowing exactly where to trim the bottom edges of the toilet seat part.

Heres some pics to maybe help explain my situation.

Looking at other backpack/toilet seats it appears some cut the lines to match the red lines I have drawn onto the picture. Ive noticed other kits and originals tend to have a slight curve on the toilet seat part as to rest on ones shoulders.

The area outlined in white looks to be the part I need to cut out, but my question is how much? Should I take that part out all the way to the backpacks red line and then fill in the corners (green triangle piece) or leave some part of that area and fill in the corners (green triangle piece)?

Or leave as it and trim either the yellow or blue lines like below?

Id love to get the cut right the first time because I cant re-attach what I cut off. :? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

actias
Centurion

Re: Kropserkel backpack question - modding

Post by actias » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:25 pm

Personally I would go with the green lined I added to your picture. Notice the arc is wider and rounder. Appearance wise, what you are trying to do is make up for the "L" pieces the original had. Here's some pics on how an original goes together so you can make a choice. In the last picture, the top of the white cap goes under the front edge of the toilet seat.
Attachments
1.jpg
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG

itookadooku
Patrol Member

Post by itookadooku » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:38 pm

Thank you actias! I find it hard to judge things against the chrome color. I made a mark with a washable marker and wanted to post the picture before I made any cuts. I just want to make sure Im heading in the right direction and I am close to the angle you suggested.

actias
Centurion

Post by actias » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:36 pm

I would say yes. Now that arc will fit over your shoulder and you'll have the illusion that the "L" pieces are there. The photo attached has red lines to show where the parts break down on an original.
Attachments
Armor_Back_Pack_02.jpg

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Fri May 19, 2017 8:15 am

I like the detail you have taken to make the adjustment. Fixing that brand of backpack has always been a challenge mostly because of their "L's". Someone once years ago replaced those supplied "L's" with their own, or cut the inside corners, and closed the angle tighter together with fiberglass backing.
If you need measurements from the chin plate, to the bottom of the backside I'll measure mine out for you.

itookadooku
Patrol Member

Post by itookadooku » Sat May 20, 2017 11:01 pm

Ive been stumped on what to do next. I did what I thought I needed to do to get a decent angle, but after gluing everything, I feel the angle just isn't enough. Would anyone recommend cutting out more? I left some extra that went down the side of the backpack to try and give it more of the "L" shape but it may not be to my benefit as it seems to keep it from fitting flush.

This pic is to show how much I have at the back of the toilet seat, should I cut out some of that and make the head hole closer to the back pack? The armor I got wasn't trimmed, so some of the lines Ive had to guess at.

I don't have the widest shoulders, so the kropserkel backpack hangs off the sides of my shoulders some and also covers up the shoulder bells. I'm sure I could trim the shoulder bells down a bit. if needed.
Here is a pic with the backpack pulled tighter to my back with no gap but it sticks out the front really far.

Here, I have the toilet seat part pushed against my throat and there is a tremendous gap on the back portion.

I'm not sure the best way to wear it and I'm sure it will "float around" as I walk. Plus I need to build a frame to go inside the toilet seat/backpack to help hold a better angle.
As far as the distance between the front and bottom of the backpack I have about 16.5 inches measured. I have no idea what is correct. It would be great if you could let me know your measurement.

Any and all help appreciated. It doesn't have to fit me perfect but Id love for it to be pretty close. Some would say toss the back pack and buy a more accurate one, which is a good idea. It just wouldn't have that shiny finish and would cost be a good bit to get it to shine like the other parts.

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Sat May 20, 2017 11:13 pm

I think what you have done looks great. No worries about the tilt forward. Use a Velcro under the backside of the chin plate, and them attach it to the top inside of the chest plate. It will balance out perfect. Outstanding work. Use chrome tape to hide the seams. :loveit: :cylongold: :cylongold: :cylongold: :loveit:

itookadooku
Patrol Member

Post by itookadooku » Tue May 23, 2017 8:06 am

Ill try the velcro, thanks for the tip. What about the back of the pack? Is there anything I can do to keep it from shifting when walking?

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Tue May 23, 2017 11:19 am

Do you have ribs that attach along the side of the chest piece that wraps around your to your back?

The Velcro to the under side of the chin plate will stabilize the movement. :cylongold:

itookadooku
Patrol Member

Post by itookadooku » Tue May 23, 2017 9:47 pm

No ribs, Im using kropserkel armor and mine didnt come with ribs. I did however buy some plastic that I will cover with chrome vinyl and attempt to make a version if side pieces/ribs.

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Tue May 23, 2017 10:58 pm

Sounds like a plan. It should be a 3 piece set. One rib left, and right side, and the center adjustment to size. You should be very happy with the results. :cylongold:

itookadooku
Patrol Member

Post by itookadooku » Thu May 25, 2017 6:57 pm

So placing the velcro onto the chest piece and front of the toilet seat will prevent the back from hanging out too far? I had thought about just making 2 rib pieces that go from the chest piece to the back pack to help hold both closer to my body. I havent started testing that just yet, but it makes sense in my mind. :cylon:

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Thu May 25, 2017 8:25 pm

The ribs help keep the sloop of it moving around while trooping, and add a look from the backside. It also help keep everything else firm. :cylongold:

Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin
It’s my birthday

Post by Red Eye » Fri May 26, 2017 4:35 pm

Here's a detail photo of the attached holding ribs (see image #1).

In all, there are two side ribs and one middle rib (see image #2).
Attachments
Centurion_Original_Costume_07.jpg
Centurion_Original_Chestplate_Holding_Ribs_01.jpg
"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

itookadooku
Patrol Member

Post by itookadooku » Sat May 27, 2017 10:24 am

Looking at the picture with the Cylon back, the ribbing would be as wide as the bicep pieces? I can adjust the length according to what I need.

I have attached the front piece to the toilet seat.

Im trying to avoid attaching velcro in the wrong spot. In the picture the red rectangle on the piece on the toilet seat part is where velcro would go. Then would I attach the connecting velcro in the red rectangle or blue rectangle on the chest piece.

Thanks for all the help! :loveit:

Return to “Centurion Builders' Forum”