NEW CYLON ARMOR AVAILABLE

Tips, tricks, inside secrets, help, sources, items used on making the Cylon Centurion suit to wear. Tell us your story, how you came about collecting your parts to a Centurion, or if you own a complete Centurion costume.
jachappy
Spare Parts

Re: NEW CYLON ARMOR AVAILABLE

Post by jachappy » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:09 pm

How are the rest of the parts coming, are they available yet? I have a helmet and backpack, I just need to get the rest of the parts! Thanks!

James

actias
Centurion

Post by actias » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:28 pm

Almost all the bucks are done a couple of more months and we should have full sets available.

Huttman
Patrol Leader

Post by Huttman » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:23 pm

This build is coming along nicely, that is an understatement for me to say. Working on this project is pretty fracking amazing.
-At what age should you tell a highway that it is adopted?

mancutd
Centurion

Post by mancutd » Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:42 am

Hi Steve.

I have one of your abs Helmet kits which are fantastic. Would love to order the rest of the armour to go with it. Can you put me down on an interest list if your running one for when the armour becomes available please?

Neil

actias
Centurion

Post by actias » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:39 pm

Hi Neil. We have two more bucks to finish and we will be ready to go!!!!!

mancutd
Centurion

Post by mancutd » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:36 pm

Thanks for the update Steve. I will watch this page with interest for when its all systems go. :byyourcommand:

nicksdad
Centurion

Post by nicksdad » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:16 pm

Nice helmet kit.
I read through this sales thread and just wanted to clarify that all of the chrome suits in the show were indeed styrene.
ABS was only used later on the gold and copper suits.

actias
Centurion

Post by actias » Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:14 pm

No they were all ABS. The earlier ones were done with smooth/smooth - front and back - ABS and later used the Smooth/Hair cell front and back ABS. The two sided smooth gave a high gloss finish on both sides of the helmet where as the Smooth on one side and the hair cell on the other gave a textured surface on both sides of the helmet. This texturing was done to cut down on the glare from the studio lights on the high polished armor. If they had done them in styrene they would not hold up to the heat needed in the vacuum metalizing process to make them look chrome.

nicksdad
Centurion

Post by nicksdad » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:17 pm

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.
I actually gave Roger Sides a call thinking I might be remembering incorrectly.
He confirmed that every original silver cylon suit he owned( which was very many)was styrene.
In fact, my original helmet sitting on my shelf is styrene.
I owned an original suit about 15 years ago and it was styrene and I used to
own the original Redeye helmet which was also styrene.

actias
Centurion

Post by actias » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:20 pm

That's interesting. Roger Sides was the one that told me they were ABS back when he was selling individual pieces of original chromed armor for $10 a piece. I contacted the original vacuum metalizing chromer - which was a family owned business and they confirmed all the parts they did for Universal were ABS. The owner (Which was a lady) told me that if they were styrene the parts wouldn't hold up to the hour and a half 165 degree baking process they used to fully cure the clear coat. Standard styrene was never offered as a hair cell. Click on the gold cylon and look at the texture in this screen used armor and then do the same to the chrome Cylon. You can see the textured finish caused by the hair cell in the gold armor and the smooth finish from the smooth/smooth plastic on the chrome Cylon. Now look at the black hair cell ABS pulls I did. Notice the texture on the outside finish matches the gold cylon and the inside shows the hair cell texture. The only other plastic sheets back then (That I'm aware of) that had the hair cell texture on one side was Kydex.
Attachments
Attach0 (8).jpg
Attach0 (7).jpg
Attach0 (6).jpg
x.jpg
a.jpg

nicksdad
Centurion

Post by nicksdad » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:09 pm

Roger did say that the Gold and Copper Cylons were textured ABS but the chrome ones were all styrene.
As far as chroming them, I call BS on the info given to you. Model kit companies have been chroming styrene parts for years.
But don't get me wrong, I think your choice of smooth ABS is a wise one. Much more durable than styrene for
trooping in.

menefret
Spare Parts

Post by menefret » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:49 am

Are these still available? I definitely hope so. My TFU Shadowguard needs company. Been threatening my legion family with putting a scanner in my guard bucket for the past 2 years. What they dont know is i love cylons and hope to build one. :cylongold:

Soda Can
Phalanx Leader

Post by Soda Can » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:44 am

I would be interested in finding out about armor as well, what is available etc etc.
If it is possible to get an email as I'm not always patrolling the sites as of lately.
My email address is esslemontsofallages@gmail.com
Thanks, craig/soda can.
If anybody can, Soda Can Cylon can. :cylon:

jjv5150
Spare Parts

Post by jjv5150 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:57 pm

I'm interested in a couple of kits, where can I get info? :loveit:

mancutd
Centurion

Post by mancutd » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:25 am

Hi Steve. Its been a couple of months since I last spoke to you. Just wondering how the project is going and if you have finished producing the last couple of bucks? So want to be able to order your set of armour. Cheers :byyourcommand:

Return to “Centurion Builders' Forum”