A Cylon has landed!

Tips, tricks, inside secrets, help, sources, items used on making the Cylon Centurion suit to wear. Tell us your story, how you came about collecting your parts to a Centurion, or if you own a complete Centurion costume.
Soda Can
Phalanx Leader

Re: A Cylon has landed!

Post by Soda Can » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:10 am

dorns wrote:My build is progressing. I have put together some parts. Not perfect yet but they are almost there. The list of 'almost' completed parts are:
Gloves
Boots
Battery Belt
Voice Sampler
Eye scanner sound and amp

Under suit parts are almost complete as my ex wife is a dab hand with a sewing machine and is really enjoying making. She would be happy to make some parts for others so I am told. Watch this space and I will post pictures soon. (when I take delivery of items.)

The parts that are complete and no further work to do are:
Helmet
Neck Gorget

A few more weeks and I will have it all together :cylon:
Roughly how long would it take to make an under suit and how much, could you send me a pm if possible, thanks

If anybody can, Soda Can Cylon can. :cylon:

Soda Can
Phalanx Leader

Post by Soda Can » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:11 am

:loveit: looking really good so far, keep up the good work.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:43 pm

Great work dorns!

You're not 1:1, but that's awesome. It's so cool to see the personal touches going into your Centurion build. I love the zip ties in the black tubes. I've just got mine hot glued on and always fear they will pop off, the ties are a great idea.

Looking forward to more updates.\
:byyourcommand:
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

dorns
Phalanx Leader

Post by dorns » Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:45 am

I also used zip ties on the gauntlet nozzle detail. I will show some close up pics soon. I also used the ties on the black circle detail (not sure of correct name) on the backpack. I don't want to be trooping around a con and start to fall apart! Some more pics are due to be uploaded when I have finished some usual work.

dorns
Phalanx Leader

Post by dorns » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:00 am

Some photos you may like...
IMG_0072.JPG
Backpack
IMG_0073.JPG
Fixing detail see zip ties
IMG_0075.JPG

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:16 am

Awesome, creative solution!
:loveit: :byyourcommand:
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

dorns
Phalanx Leader

Post by dorns » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:42 am

Belt Battery boxes detail. I bought a leather belt blank for about £15 and then used a sewing machine to add velcro so it now works as a belt.
IMG_0077.JPG

I then added velcro in a wrap around the belt and screwed this into some wood squares.
IMG_0078.JPG
I then used some melted ABS using acetone to fix some velcro inside the battery boxes and this enables them to fix to the belt. Sound and secure for wearing.
IMG_0079.JPG

dorns
Phalanx Leader

Post by dorns » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:45 am

Here are the sound modules uploaded to youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQ7rDjA_vuI

dorns
Phalanx Leader

Post by dorns » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:18 am

Boots are almost complete.

I have messed up a little bit with the ABS glue I have been using. You have to be careful it doesn't melt through and make the chrome go rippled. I did do it in stages and built it up, let it dry and then applied the glue again. It just seems if there is slightly too much and it hasn't fully dried then you can come back to it the next day and find a bit of a mess. Be warned! Lucky for me it is only on the boots where people won't be looking anyway. And also lucky for me any visible parts the gluing has worked perfectly so far.
IMG_0080.JPG
IMG_0081.JPG
Painting the boots was a little tricky too as the paint run a little in the ripples of the leather. Again though it isn't a detail I am too worried about as you don't really notice it unless you can see right close up and that isn't very likely. I'm 6 ft and with the helmet and kit on most people will be looking at the red eye. :cylon:

dorns
Phalanx Leader

Post by dorns » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:15 am

If you look closely at the boots you can see the rippled bit where I attached some elastic to the boot. Disappointing for me, but a harsh lesson learned. I'm going to make sure that it doesn't happen again.
The Krop boots detail on the chrome isn't very accurate as for some reason they only make half of the section. I do have a solution for that and will add extra chrome in the future.
As for the paint running a little - I may go back over it with black paint. I have some on order and will neaten up the lines when it gets here.
The exciting news is that I bought the Roland VT-3 vocoder so I no longer will be using the three sound samples device for the future con. I'm so excited about getting it all wired up and in the suit. It's going to be such good fun in October :D

FLIGHTLDR SERPENTINE
Squadron Leader

Post by FLIGHTLDR SERPENTINE » Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:34 pm

It's coming along great. I'm happy for you! :cylongold:
:cylongold: "SEARCH FOR WRECKAGE... LEAVE NO SURVIVORS..."

dorns
Phalanx Leader

Post by dorns » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:54 am

I have now modded the krop backpack. It was really annoying how the toilet seat jutted right out and the angle was badly off for wearing. I have cut it to a pleasing angle and it looks much better than a standard krop version. Closer to screen used. I am very pleased with it now. I need to get it all glued back together and then I will add photos of it completed. I can do some photos of the cut out pieces soon.

dorns
Phalanx Leader

Post by dorns » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:31 am

Toilet seat cuts ready for assembling with back pack.
IMG_0082.JPG
IMG_0083.JPG

Soda Can
Phalanx Leader

Post by Soda Can » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:17 am

That is looking really good, can't wait to see your VT 3 Set up and how it all goes together.

dorns
Phalanx Leader

Post by dorns » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:37 am

Thanks for the nice comments guys. It keeps my spirits high when I am working with all this ABS and chrome. Using a dremel to cut expensive ABS is something only someone with a steady hand can do.
Anyway - here is some more progress. Toilet seat, meet backpack.
IMG_0084.JPG
I also added some chrome rubber edge to the inside of the seat, makes a really nice rolled edge and should be ultra comfortable for wearing.
IMG_0085.JPG
Close up of the join and weights holding it in place while the hot melt and ABS slurry weld together.
IMG_0086.JPG
Side view, showing the new more accurate angle for backpack. :D

Return to “Centurion Builders' Forum”