A Cylon has landed!

Tips, tricks, inside secrets, help, sources, items used on making the Cylon Centurion suit to wear. Tell us your story, how you came about collecting your parts to a Centurion, or if you own a complete Centurion costume.
dorns
Phalanx Leader

Re: A Cylon has landed!

Post by dorns » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:44 am

Yes the edges look rough and I could sand them - but I'm going to add the rubber chrome edge over the top of it so it will not be seen. Once is is all glued I shall run some chrome tape over the joins. I'll probably need to fill the step between backpack and toilet seat and then tape it to hide the join perfectly. I've spend so many hours getting this thing together. I can now see why complete suits are worth the money people are asking for them.

dorns
Phalanx Leader

Post by dorns » Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:31 am

More pics of work on my Chrome.
IMG_0089.JPG
Here is the new corner piece added showing tape
IMG_0087.JPG
A cover arrived for my Roland Vocoder - handy for keeping the sliders from moving and keeping it clean.
IMG_0090.JPG
Backpack glued and ready for strengthening.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:30 pm

Great work! Love the updates. :loveit:
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

dorns
Phalanx Leader

Post by dorns » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:33 am

Think the backpack is finished for now. Onto some other parts.
IMG_0098.JPG

Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin
It’s my birthday

Post by Red Eye » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:45 am

Looking waaay better than the standard Krop backpack now.

Good work!
"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

dorns
Phalanx Leader

Post by dorns » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:02 am

Thanks Red Eye. The Krop backpack was just wrong on so many levels. Since I have hacked it about and re-attached it I have got it closer to what it should look like. It's still quite a bit off but I'll leave the judging to you guys when I complete the outfit in the next 2 months.
I need to work out where to attach the Roland VT3. - thinking about making or getting a small rucksack to go on my back or front to hold it all. I got a head mounted MIC yesterday.
IMG_0099.JPG

Soda Can
Phalanx Leader

Post by Soda Can » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:13 am

Your sound system is looking really good, I might have to save up for one myself.
You'll have to do a sound byte so we can hear you.
Great set up though.
If anybody can, Soda Can Cylon can. :cylon:

dorns
Phalanx Leader

Post by dorns » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:08 am

I just made this sample. Recorded with my mobile phone beside the speaker - so you can hear my voice going into the mic. The sound out of the speaker is pure Cylon though.

http://invogueweddings.co.uk/vt3.mp3

http://invogueweddings.co.uk/vt3.mp3

dorns
Phalanx Leader

Post by dorns » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:48 am

Think http://www.kropserkel.com/ do make a great Cylon if you can make some modifications. It's like anything I guess you need to 'make it yours' by adding what you think works.
I collected my ribbing recently and I'm so impressed with the sewing skills of my ex wife. She has done a fantastic job with the three areas I asked her to make. Belly area ribbing and two elbow pieces. She said she enjoyed the challenge and would be up for making more to any specification. I provided the materials and gave her my specification and she made it bang on exactly like I wanted it. Again - I am not making a 1-1 screen accurate cylon as I wanted to make some parts how I want them to look and the ribbing is the same.
I went for black as the undersuit as I just think black will offset the chrome much better. Also getting the correct plum colour maybe tricky.
Anyway here is my complete belly ribbing which took around two days to complete. Two close up shots one with flash and the other in daylight. It looks much better in real life than close up. I'll include shots later with me wearing the piece.
IMG_0103.JPG
IMG_0104.JPG

Soda Can
Phalanx Leader

Post by Soda Can » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:16 am

That ribbing is looking quite the part, very nicely done.
If I went for that I would need the black as it is apparently very slimming, and i need the slimming. :grin:
If anybody can, Soda Can Cylon can. :cylon:

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:33 pm

She did a great job!!!
Looks great, dorns. You'll look awesome suited up.
Thank you for sharing the photos.
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

dorns
Phalanx Leader

Post by dorns » Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:25 am

Soda Can wrote:That ribbing is looking quite the part, very nicely done.
If I went for that I would need the black as it is apparently very slimming, and i need the slimming. :grin:

Hahaha, Soda Can don't we all!

I can't tell you how exciting this build has been - especially with the help I'm getting. If bought another one from Kropserkel then it would be made to look even better as I have learned so much from the building process. As the armor finally comes together it's looking better and better every day. I tried on all the complete bits the other day and not only looked the part - felt the part too. It's getting close to the big reveal...

dorns
Phalanx Leader

Post by dorns » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:40 am

More updates:
I have the complete belly ribbing section laid out on the floor with Sharpie for scale. I had it made as a single piece so it can be worn over my waist and the clothing below can be put in the washing machine. The velcro means it can easily be attached.
IMG_0111.JPG

dorns
Phalanx Leader

Post by dorns » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:44 am

These are the arm elbow pieces - again they are to be worn over my clothing below. They have some discreet elastic allowing freedom of movement. The work on them is really second to none. Ignore the unfinished look on the right one as this is all not seen anyway - they look perfect while on my elbows.
IMG_0112.JPG

dorns
Phalanx Leader

Post by dorns » Thu Sep 22, 2016 2:49 am

These are the vinyl leg panels which I have attached to some buckrum to give them stiffness. I used Evo Stik contact adhesive which works really well to keep the parts together. Today I hope to get these panels sewn to my thighs on the undersuit.
IMG_0113.JPG

Return to “Centurion Builders' Forum”