Krop Helmet has arrived

Tips, tricks, inside secrets, help, sources, items used on making the Cylon Centurion suit to wear. Tell us your story, how you came about collecting your parts to a Centurion, or if you own a complete Centurion costume.
dorns
Phalanx Leader

Krop Helmet has arrived

Post by dorns » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:42 pm

Today my Krop cylon helmet arrived in rough cut. I would like to know what is the best method to cut ABS plastic? Also can it be sanded using a belt sander to get the two half connections perfectly flat?

FLIGHTLDR SERPENTINE
Squadron Leader

Re: Krop Helmet has arrived

Post by FLIGHTLDR SERPENTINE » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:22 pm

There are a few different methods. I prefer to (carefully) use a dremel tool. …the cutting wheel. I used it on all my armor parts. It can be sanded too.

I'd enjoy seeing a couple images of your raw helmet parts. :grin:
:cylongold: "SEARCH FOR WRECKAGE... LEAVE NO SURVIVORS..."

dorns
Phalanx Leader

Post by dorns » Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:24 am

FLIGHTLDR SERPENTINE wrote:There are a few different methods. I prefer to (carefully) use a dremel tool. …the cutting wheel. I used it on all my armor parts. It can be sanded too.

I'd enjoy seeing a couple images of your raw helmet parts. :grin:
Ok here goes. Helmet in two halves - rough cut so needs sorting before I assemble in the next week or two. A mad scientist larson scanner - however I am not sure that there are enough LED's in this one so I may end up getting an ADAFRUIT version with 17-18 Led's/ Also there is a small sound module already set up with three samples - 'By Your Command' etc.
20151122_081945.jpg

FLIGHTLDR SERPENTINE
Squadron Leader

Post by FLIGHTLDR SERPENTINE » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:35 pm

Oh yea, I see what you have now. Carefully sanding the edges may be better at this point. Though I would personally still use my Dremel. If no indentation is seen on each half as to where the official seam is, I'd tape the halves together (clear tape) and make note with a masking tape strip where each piece should be trimmed and proceed with the masking tape still in place (to protect the plating underneath while I cut). IMHO I often see people making their mohawks usually too fat (or sometimes too thin). I'd find an ideal image of the real deal and use it as your model.

Anyway, interesting kit. Are you going to use chrome tape to seal the seam once it's assembled? I agree about the eye upgrade. I can't see how this one will sweep very smoothly. I just got one of Groupleader Zeta'a eye scanners and believe it to be the best on the market. It is accurate to 32 LEDs (or incandescent lamps if you prefer) and has speed control, a comet tail effect and sound built in.

dorns
Phalanx Leader

Post by dorns » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:55 pm

FLIGHTLDR SERPENTINE wrote:Oh yea, I see what you have now. Carefully sanding the edges may be better at this point. Though I would personally still use my Dremel. If no indentation is seen on each half as to where the official seam is, I'd tape the halves together (clear tape) and make note with a masking tape strip where each piece should be trimmed and proceed with the masking tape still in place (to protect the plating underneath while I cut). IMHO I often see people making their mohawks usually too fat (or sometimes too thin). I'd find an ideal image of the real deal and use it as your model.

Anyway, interesting kit. Are you going to use chrome tape to seal the seam once it's assembled? I agree about the eye upgrade. I can't see how this one will sweep very smoothly. I just got one of Groupleader Zeta'a eye scanners and believe it to be the best on the market. It is accurate to 32 LEDs (or incandescent lamps if you prefer) and has speed control, a comet tail effect and sound built in.
I have a new kit for the eye with 32 LEDs so I will fit that when it arrives. Do you have some measurements for the Mohawk I. E thinnest part to thickest etc? I have a vernier gauge so I can get it perfectly screen accurate. Perfection is what I am after. I can't have a helmet in the 'good effort' camp. I want something like original. Thanks for the feedback.

dorns
Phalanx Leader

Post by dorns » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:57 am

I just bought the skirt material too. 4 days from this seller :)

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/4mm-non- ... 40596.html
:cylon:

FLIGHTLDR SERPENTINE
Squadron Leader

Post by FLIGHTLDR SERPENTINE » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:34 am

Wow $13??? Looks like quite a deal for that skirt material. I got mine recently and paid $63. It's perfect but not $13. I'll be happy to measure my screen helmet for you if you like the look. It's the one in my avatar.

dorns
Phalanx Leader

Post by dorns » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:30 am

FLIGHTLDR SERPENTINE wrote:Wow $13??? Looks like quite a deal for that skirt material. I got mine recently and paid $63. It's perfect but not $13. I'll be happy to measure my screen helmet for you if you like the look. It's the one in my avatar.
Yes please do. I want the helmet to be bang on measurements wise. It's the part that will be under closest scrutiny. I use Cm and Mm as measurements but any accurate numbers will be perfect.
I'll also use thin aluminium tape to cover the seam. What is the best way to join the parts? Glass fibre and resin or is there something safer to use and less likely to leak through the gaps?

FLIGHTLDR SERPENTINE
Squadron Leader

Post by FLIGHTLDR SERPENTINE » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:03 pm

Ok let me get those measurements later today. I'll do them in mm ok? I'm still building my armor, but I have already assembled my helmet halves. I used strips of styrene glued inside with styrene model glue. It melts or 'welds' the plastic. I taped it together on the outside first exactly where the halves fit together. Then glued the strips inside the mohawk (pic attached).

dorns
Phalanx Leader

Post by dorns » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:43 pm

Thanks for the glue tips. I'll see if I can get some soon.
Looking forward to getting the measurements and I can get on with the scary cutting job.

FLIGHTLDR SERPENTINE
Squadron Leader

Post by FLIGHTLDR SERPENTINE » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:03 pm

Ok, at the top of the mohawk I get 3.48 cm and at the bottom just before it swoops out on either side (the narrowest point) I get 2.45 cm. Try to maintain the top width all the way down the mohawk in the back (though my own original varies slightly). Good luck with it and don't rush! :cylongold:

dorns
Phalanx Leader

Post by dorns » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:58 pm

FLIGHTLDR SERPENTINE wrote:Ok, at the top of the mohawk I get 3.48 cm and at the bottom just before it swoops out on either side (the narrowest point) I get 2.45 cm. Try to maintain the top width all the way down the mohawk in the back (though my own original varies slightly). Good luck with it and don't rush! :cylongold:

Indeed.... :byyourcommand:

dorns
Phalanx Leader

Post by dorns » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:51 am

Nothing has been rushed here! I have taken weeks, nay months gathering these parts to make the ultimate sound device for my Cylon Cosplay when it is complete.
Today I finished the black box speaker and three sample player. All connected up and installed in a small box (which also increases volume). I'd say it is as loud as someone speaking right close to your ear so should have enough volume for hearing in the din of an exhibition hall. The warble I downloaded, installed on this small MP3 player and set it to repeat forever. The MP3 player uses 1 AAA battery which should last an hour or so. I'll carry spares. The red speaker was given to me and is a Pringles (crisps/chips) speaker and amplifier. Nice little thing - doesn't have a volume control which is a small problem but the MP3 does have a volume control and even an equalizer. I'll need to work out the correct settings for it. That should get rid of the top end clipping you can hear on the warble.
Think in all this is the perfect solution. The cost to me in total was about £15 and that was for the 3 cylon sample player.
The amplifier was free, the black box was an old computer speaker which I wasn't using and the MP3 player I have had for about 5 years doing nothing in one of my drawers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQ7rDjA_vuI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQ7rDjA_vuI

FLIGHTLDR SERPENTINE
Squadron Leader

Post by FLIGHTLDR SERPENTINE » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:42 am

Impressive. I'm trying to work out my sounds too. I'm leaning towards speaking in real time and using an FX pedal to modify my voice. Groupleader Zeta also does this with some success.

dorns
Phalanx Leader

Post by dorns » Thu Nov 26, 2015 10:55 am

FLIGHTLDR SERPENTINE wrote:Impressive. I'm trying to work out my sounds too. I'm leaning towards speaking in real time and using an FX pedal to modify my voice. Groupleader Zeta also does this with some success.
Thanks - I wanted a live voice solution also but I found these to be rather disappointing. Also looked at a phone app version which didn't do live voice changing.
I settled on this version because the samples were as if they are from the same Cylon. And they were clean samples without background music or other distracting noises. Think we would all like a small vocoder live speech changer but until one is made which works well and is affordable personally I think this is the best option.

Return to “Centurion Builders' Forum”