Why won't my helmet shine like glass :(

Tips, tricks, inside secrets, help, sources, items used on making the Cylon Centurion suit to wear. Tell us your story, how you came about collecting your parts to a Centurion, or if you own a complete Centurion costume.
BazookaJo
Centurion

Why won't my helmet shine like glass :(

Post by BazookaJo » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:10 pm

Been working on a Cylon helmet for some time, and the glass like finish is still eluding me.

I have bought some micromesh cloths and have spent quite some time working my way up the grades but I don't seem to be able to get the WOW shine on it :( but end up revelaing the primer in the edges instead.

Now, I am a buffoon, and this is probably the first thing I've done that requires this much ... patience.

But I wonder if you guys can throw some tips my way - some dos and don'ts for serious beginners like me.

Many thanks in advance

Joe.

P.S. Why does my Humbrol Gloss black go so 'orange peely' :(
and why do my finger prints keep showing on the helmet after a while sanding even when I'm wearing latex gloves?!? :?

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:04 pm

The orange peel is because the surface wasn't 100% oil free before the chrome was put down. A good way to break that grease barrier is a primer paint down first.
Now I am not sure what your doing rubbing so much, via what type of chrome plating did you use for your helmet?

BazookaJo
Centurion

Post by BazookaJo » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:10 am

GoldCylon wrote:The orange peel is because the surface wasn't 100% oil free before the chrome was put down. A good way to break that grease barrier is a primer paint down first.
Now I am not sure what your doing rubbing so much, via what type of chrome plating did you use for your helmet?
Sorry GC didn't really give anywhere near enough info there.

I'm attempting to coat it using Alclad II, but I'm still at the black gloss undercoat stage, which just seems so:
a) Orange peely after spraying.
b) Sticky when handling (fingerprints through latex gloves?!)
c) Very difficult to get a glass like shine on prior to Alclad II application.

Like I say, any tips or any Dos and Don'ts (that a novice like me might Don't and Do) would be welcome.

Regards

Joe.

Return to “Centurion Builders' Forum”