Mad's Pepakura Cylon Centurion

Tips, tricks, inside secrets, help, sources, items used on making the Cylon Centurion suit to wear. Tell us your story, how you came about collecting your parts to a Centurion, or if you own a complete Centurion costume.
mad-Cylon
Patrol Member

Mad's Pepakura Cylon Centurion

Post by mad-Cylon » Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:06 am

G'day all, this is my first attempt at any kind of costume modelling or crafting. I'm doing this project with my partner. The idea is to create two Cylon Centurions (one each). I came across Pepakura in my search for how to even make a start. Pepakura seems pretty awesome and if successful with this build may undertake another project or two. I could not find any Cylon Pepakura files but did find Bazookajo 1:1 Cylon armour. I believe he is also a forum member here, so to you a massive thanks for making these available, as without, we wouldn't be able to even start our project.
So over the Christmas break we made a start which is loads of fun particularly watching it all come together.
Once we completed the helmet (thanks for including instruction Bazookajo) we found it was to small which meant all the armour would be a bit small as well.
I reprinted everything increasing one set by 3% (103) and the other set by 4% (104). This was actually a blessing in disguise because although we are now making 3 sets, the first 1:1 is the trial and error to work out our methods and iron out mistakes, then once sorted we do the final two sets hopefully error free.
The plan is to complete the cardboard armour then resin, then body filler, then final chrome and electronics in there along the way.
Will post photos along the way and please feel free to give advice as our learning curve is steep and any help will be appreciated.
Attachments
054.JPG

Time for a polish I like to be Nice and Shiny :loveit:

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Re: Mad's Pepakura Cylon Centurion

Post by Cylon-Knight » Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:09 pm

Looking great!
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

mad-Cylon
Patrol Member

Post by mad-Cylon » Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:22 pm

Well I wasn't prepared for how long this would take, it has pretty much taken up all of my 2 weeks of leave with two of us going at it, however as said before it is fun and we actually now have one set finished in paper form. the hardest for us was the breastplate lots of ungluing and re-gluing and even now I don't think its really how it was intended to be. The helmet looks great with the grill and visor I just do not know how much room to leave for the sweeping eye, I suppose now is the time to order some and will check the forums here for what is recommended. Now to complete the next two sets, which hopefully will go a lot smoother. As always any input is greatly welcomed.
Attachments
IMG_1827.JPG
set 1.jpg

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:53 pm

WOW! You have been busy. :shock:

Looks great - can't wait to see more.

mad-Cylon
Patrol Member

Post by mad-Cylon » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:58 pm

Yes I/we have been really busy on this which has taken a huge amount of hours, which is the number one resource here. For the 3 sets its 206 sheets of paper and 195 sheets of 210gsm card (210gsm I found to work best for me) 800ml of liquid glue to glue the sheets to the card. Additionally this first set I used 47 (141 combined) glue sticks (putting it together) and cut out 268 (804 combined) individual sections for the first armour set. I should be about 20% faster forming the next two sets as all the sheets are glued, dried and pressed. Then its onto the weapons a Cylon pistol each and the sword. I found the sword that Cylon-Knight did with all the dimensions on it. I converted the measurements to millimetres and printed it full scale to use as a template and will attempt to build with Basla wood and put my wood crafting skills to the test or alternatively search and buy one that closely matches.
A question I do have is with the belt (I will check the forums here, 272 matches so will take a while) is what is the best type of belt to use and best method the fix the belt armour sections to it. I have an idea to either use Styrofoam or wood to fit into the armour section (additionally for rigidity) then attach that to the belt by adhesive or screw. any suggestions would be appreciated.
Oh happy days I have ordered my Cylon eye/s from Jupiter Electronics in Canada and should arrive in two weeks.
Attachments
IMG_1818.JPG

Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin

Post by Red Eye » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:42 am

Oh wow, you've been a busy Cylon indeed!

As for your question regarding the battery belt: The belt used on the original Centurion costumes was made by company called G&M, and should look like this:

Sadly, the company is out of business and these belts are very hard to find (especially the ones with the screen-accurate 7 battery boxes), but they can be found on eBay from time to time. Or you take a look at the Cylon Stores section, some members might have one for sale.

The seperate belt box covers were attached by using velcro on the inside of each piece like this:

Hope that helps...
"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:11 am

mad-Cylon if you find a G&M belt, you must give it to me... or be banned. Just Kidding (maybe? ;) :roll: :twisted:)
:evillaugh:

I have not been lucky enough to find one yet :censored:
So I did a Cylon D.I.Y. belt on my build.

Start of the D.I.Y. belt cells here (under the under suit pics - ARE YOU LOOKING AT MY SUIT!? :shock: ) lol
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=531&start=330#p25029

D.I.Y. Belt continues here (and posts a few down from this one)
There is more on the belt at the end of my build thread too... needed some repairs.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=531&start=375#p25640

:cylon: And I did a little upgrade on my D.I.Y. belt here as there was more evil Cylon work to be done:
viewtopic.php?f=62&t=2570

Original item or hand crafted, we Cylons are a crafty bunch. It will be fun to see what you come up with...
So far, you've done very well... *impressed*
But always remember...

:CK:

mad-Cylon
Patrol Member

Post by mad-Cylon » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:18 pm

Thanks for the information Red Eye that's great to see the original belt like that. Cylon-Kinght I don't think I would have a hope of getting one of those original belts OR beating you to it so my forum status should be safe... for now. Cylon-Knight the belt you made is awesome and thanks to the photos I show be able to follow along with what you have done. that has solved my belt issue. will be a little while before I start the belt but will post when started. :D

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:43 pm

Nice, and great work. Go see your local Cylon recruiter to start your training process. :cylongold:

FLIGHTLDR SERPENTINE
Squadron Leader

Post by FLIGHTLDR SERPENTINE » Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:44 pm

great work!
:cylongold: "SEARCH FOR WRECKAGE... LEAVE NO SURVIVORS..."

mad-Cylon
Patrol Member

Post by mad-Cylon » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:27 am

I have not had much to post for a while as we have been busy completing all the armour sections for the x3 Cylons. However today we reached a small milestone as all the pieces are now complete in paper form AND the Cylon eyes arrived from Canada :D . The next stage of our project is to resin all the pieces with yet another learning curve. Not sure how many coats to apply, I am thinking one inside coat and two outside coats. Also we now have all the materials for the belt and some metallic (in appearance) type fabric for the skirt. Will update again once I have completed some resin pieces.
Attachments
IMG_1852.JPG
IMG_1849.JPG
our three Cylons in paper form

Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin

Post by Red Eye » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:40 am

I really like the result and can't wait to see some resin parts soon.

Good luck with it!
"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:26 am

Looks really good.

rustycylon
Squadron Leader

Post by rustycylon » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:21 pm

you building enough centurions to fly a raider?

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:43 pm

Looks GREAT mad-Cylon. IMPRESSIVE amount of work you have done in such a short time. Well done.
Rusty is right - you can fly a Raider now. Too cool.
:cylon: :cylon: :cylon:

Looking forward to the next update.

Return to “Centurion Builders' Forum”