Mad's Pepakura Cylon Centurion

Tips, tricks, inside secrets, help, sources, items used on making the Cylon Centurion suit to wear. Tell us your story, how you came about collecting your parts to a Centurion, or if you own a complete Centurion costume.
mad-Cylon
Patrol Member

Re: Mad's Pepakura Cylon Centurion

Post by mad-Cylon » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:21 pm

Of course, I forgot the boots... thanks for the reminder that will be added to the updates!

Time for a polish I like to be Nice and Shiny :loveit:

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:27 pm

:byyourcommand:
Looking forward to how you make a great suit better.
Please do keep us posted!
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

rustycylon
Squadron Leader

Post by rustycylon » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:32 am

glad your hard work paid off. very cool photos. :byyourcommand:

RAM_Doubler
Patrol Leader

Post by RAM_Doubler » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:49 pm

Stellar job - well done!

I didn't put anything over my paint to protect it. It definitely took a little wear at the Con, especially on the helmet. That chrome paint finish is pretty fragile - not sure if there's any way around it or not.

Oh, and your poses are awesome :grin: I look like a statue in all my pics :lol:

marquette1929
Spare Parts

Post by marquette1929 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:09 am

Hi Mad cylon

Did you print on normal A4 paper and if so how did you stop the over run off the sheet at 104%

I have a foam and material suit here in Adelaide but want ramp it up to a more original look for the con's
IMG_9770.jpg
Thanks

mad-Cylon
Patrol Member

Post by mad-Cylon » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:14 am

Hello Marquette1929, I printed out all the forms on standard A4 print paper. I then glued that paper to 240GSM cardboard paper for better stability. When I increased the size by 4% (104) I photocopied the printed forms to the desired size increase and didn't have any issue with it running out of room although it did get very close to the paper edge.
I recommend giving the build a go as you can get a really nice looking Cylon set out of it. Just be prepared to spend a lot of time on it and I'm pretty sure it will come out awesome.
I also recommend you check out the build posts from RAM_Doubler, he has documented his build in excellent detail.
The Australian Cylon legion is growing..

mad-Cylon
Patrol Member

Post by mad-Cylon » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:37 am

G'day, it’s been a little while since I last posted, however I have been busy with the other two builds and re-doing the first one after Supernova Melbourne.
That was a great run and showed me what I had to improve on. A small fix turned into a big overhaul with everything being sanded right back, applying more body filler and strengthening sections. Over all it was a blessing in disguise as the finish quality now is a lot better. I added the bits for the boots and also added a Cylon voice changer which isn't great but a lot better than nothing. The only issue I really had with the voice was that the speaker that came with it isn't powerful enough so some bigger and better speakers are next. I also repainted in a silver metallic instead of the chrome and it came up a lot better than expected. Now it won’t rub off and turn grey. we also undertook a lot of stitching and didn't rely as much on Velcro.
We got it completed just (2 days) before Oz Comic Con Melbourne. Our Cylon was a big hit at Oz Comic Con Melbourne and couldn't get too far without having a photo taken.
This run also showed up some areas for improvement, particularly where the chest piece connects to the backpack and had the belt buckles popping off when people bumped into you with a bit of force so those Velcro attachments will be looked at.
Now what I am after are decals (I will check the gallery) and to try and create an under suit.
I will post the Oz Comic Con photos in the Conventions and Get-Togethers section.
IMG_1081.JPG
Sanded back the chrome paint redid the sides, grill and visor with a mat black
IMG_1083.JPG
Tidied up the backpack and I know not screen accurate but a red flashing light behind the view screen is a great effect
IMG_2700.JPG
Tried this voice changer, just needs a better speaker
IMG_2704.JPG
All repainted
2015-06-28 18.10.52-2.jpg

rustycylon
Squadron Leader

Post by rustycylon » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:11 pm

looking good

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:56 pm

Cool
Image :cylongold: :cylongold: :cylongold:

mad-Cylon
Patrol Member

Post by mad-Cylon » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:47 am

Work in progress, and enjoying it... :D

mad-Cylon
Patrol Member

Post by mad-Cylon » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:40 am

Well when I first painted the Cylon it was chrome painted, however after its first outing it came back a mess, every time it was touched or brushed against would leave a grey mark and it couldn't be sealed for protection. the next paint job was plain silver and looked pretty good, was durable, could be touched and handled but lacked the chrome look which is awesome. lots of searching kept leading to Spaz stix mirror chrome but I just could not get it in Australia although you can get some spaz stix paints but it was hard to get. Now however I have been told from the supplier that this mirror chrome will be available in Australia, so I have ordered up big to paint all 3 of the projects. I have high expectations for this paint, its expensive and will take 6 weeks to arrive but if its durable and gives me the chrome look then all will be good. I realise its all got to do with preparation but that wont be a issue, I will post and keep you updated. :D

RAM_Doubler
Patrol Leader

Post by RAM_Doubler » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:18 pm

mad-Cylon wrote:...I also recommend you check out the build posts from RAM_Doubler, he has documented his build in excellent detail....
Thanks for the props!

Your build looks awesome! You have any pics of your speakers/audio setup?

mad-Cylon
Patrol Member

Post by mad-Cylon » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:19 am

It has been a while since my last post, however I haven't had much to report back on. I believe I have now finished my Cylon builds. This has been a long build but I have now got something that is solid and works great. It took a number of Cons and many hours wearing it to workout what needed to be improved. So this is mark 3. Some of the improvements I made which had to be striped right back was increased thickness (Body filler) on the side of the backpack and on the mohawk of the helmet. extra thickness on the inside of the chest. Reinforcing at certain locations on the armour where you handle it the most by lifting it on and off. Because its made of paper it did flex a little which caused cracking in the body filler, when I say extra thickness I increased the 5mm body filler thickness to 10mm.
I also added lots of padding which only wearing for long periods could get it right. Firm padding on the shoulders for the backpack, soft padding on for the gauntlets and median padding in the helmet, the padding points in the helmet was tricky, and have added permanent fixing points for all the electronics, eye, voice and batteries in the helmet. added permanent fixing points for large speakers (for voice) in the backpack and one small speaker in the belt for the sweeping eye sound.
Also added some straps between the chest and backpack which really stabilised everything.
The biggest issue I had was connecting the chest to the neck section of the backpack, I tried lots of different ways such as Velcro, tape, steel clips, magnets which nothing worked and always resulted in extensive repairs needed to be made to the chest piece. I now have a fixing method that works great and was recently tested at Supernova Melbourne and that is to bolt the two sections together through two 5mm wood panels. You may not like it as its not correct however it works...
I also had paint issues, and got my hands on some Spaz Stix Chrome paint which worked great and was able to seal it.
I also painted one Gold, which took a number of tries with different types of paint. still not sure if I like it or not but it was popular at Supernova.
Anyway I will post some photos over the next few days, my next project is to build a stand for the Cylons to be displayed when not being used...as you do!

mad-Cylon
Patrol Member

Post by mad-Cylon » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:29 am

Some Photos, not sure why they are displayed sideways. The mouth grill has white parts on it which only come up through the photos and is not evident when looking at it, I think it might have been un-buffed wax.
Attachments
IMG_3538.JPG
IMG_3539.JPG
IMG_3531.JPG
IMG_3532.JPG
IMG_3545.JPG
IMG_3505.JPG

mad-Cylon
Patrol Member

Post by mad-Cylon » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:37 am

Supernova last week, unfortunately with both in character I didn't get many photos. We were an awesome sight and very popular.
IMG_3557.JPG
Attachments
IMG_3667.JPG
IMG_3652.JPG
IMG_3556.JPG

Return to “Centurion Builders' Forum”