Mad's Pepakura Cylon Centurion

Tips, tricks, inside secrets, help, sources, items used on making the Cylon Centurion suit to wear. Tell us your story, how you came about collecting your parts to a Centurion, or if you own a complete Centurion costume.
mad-Cylon
Patrol Member

Re: Mad's Pepakura Cylon Centurion

Post by mad-Cylon » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:28 pm

I have finished one set of armour with the resin, I was off on my estimate of number of coats required. I initially thought one inside and 2 outside coats would be enough, however this was not enough to make it sufficiently rigid. I ended up applying 6 coats being 3 inside and 3 outside. I was careful to ensure the correct shape of the various pieces primarily with sticky tape until the first coat of the resin dried.
I used gloves, eye protection and respirator as the resin is nasty. The next step is to file / sand down imperfections then apply spray putty which should fix most issues and then body filler for final shape, Looks like the helmet needs the most work. Then I will resin the next two sets and repeat.
The cylon eye will not fit behind the visor, not without a lot of mucking around I was going to attach it to the top of the visor before the slit for the eye piece. Probably not accurate but I will see how it goes and will post for comment. :)
taking shape and is exciting...
Attachments
IMG_1873.JPG
IMG_1860.JPG
6 coats of resin makes it nice and rigid
IMG_1857.JPG
Drying in the sun after the final resin

Time for a polish I like to be Nice and Shiny :loveit:

RAM_Doubler
Patrol Leader

Post by RAM_Doubler » Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:54 pm

Great work! Looking forward to see more pics.

I'm at about the same point in my build...and building one is enough work, 3 is :censored: insane!

mad-Cylon
Patrol Member

Post by mad-Cylon » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:56 pm

Looks like my last post didn't update, more than likely me rushing. All it was saying was that I would be away for a few weeks, was cruising around the South Pacific (it was awesome) but didn't find any Cylons. Now back to my project.
After applying x6 coats of resin I then sanded and filed all the rough edges down, the helmets needed the most work. I then spray puttied one set (light blue) and simply undercoated another set (dark blue) just to see if there is a difference with the bond with the body filler. The third set I will wait to see which method is best but we be prepped in yellow, the different colours will help me keep track of which piece belongs to which set and size.
This is my first attempt at using body filler so yet another learning curve but still fun. I have used way too much body filler and also wasted a lot by mixing to much. I have now learnt to mix a very small amount and apply it in small sections (not to cover the entire piece) and to also only apply in thin layers to up build bulk if required. This way takes a lot of time but this is the method I am now using for the second set (undercoated dark blue).
Now I have a big job sanding down and shaping. the mouth piece on the helmet and the chest plate is going to be a challenge.
I have included a few photos but will post all pieces of first set with body filler before sanding, the first attempt is pretty rough but will be a good comparison. will post again in a few days. any advice gladly accepted.
Oh I think I know why my last post didn't update, when I hit submit for this post it said I needed to be logged in (which I was) but mustn't have read that message last time.
Attachments
IMG_1886.JPG
Light Blue spray putty and some body filler applied
IMG_2319.JPG
Applying body filler first attempt
IMG_2323.JPG
Fit for a Smurf - Dark Blue undercoat

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:54 pm

Smurf Cylon, awesome!
Looking good.

For the posting oddness - When you log in the site will time out if you are idle for 20 minutes to save resources (I think it is 20, I'd have to double check to be certain). So, if you stated a post, walked away for an hour, came back and pushed submit it would be lost. Maybe that's what happened?
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

RAM_Doubler
Patrol Leader

Post by RAM_Doubler » Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:00 pm

Different colors to tell the sets apart - simple and brilliant, well done!

I'm at the exact stage you are at the moment, and I know exactly what you mean about wasting material. I learned to mix tiny portions of epoxy resin or risk throwing away a cup that's 1/4-full of sticky, unusable goo. An expensive lesson to learn :lol:

I'm using Smooth-Cast 321 resin so I can apply it indoors, but it gives about the same result as bondo. I did have someone recommend adding what's called a fairing filler to my epoxy resin. It thickens the resin enough that you can make a paste so you can build up low spots and shape the curves. Only used it a bit on the chest piece so far, but I'm liking it pretty well...and it's easy to sand.

Good luck - looking forward to seeing more of your progress!

GoldCylon
Founder

Mad's Pepakura Cylon Centurion

Post by GoldCylon » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:09 am

Good progress and great work looks good.

mad-Cylon
Patrol Member

Post by mad-Cylon » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:46 pm

Well things had been working rather slowly with applying all the body filler, applying thin layers was the best method however I then waited two days for it to fully harden then repeat which took a long time and in the end they looked very messy.
Anyway I started to sand and shape and it all started to come together and start to look like something. We started on the small pieces first the gauntlets, armband and belt buckles. The belt buckles so far are the worst and took so much time, but happy with the end result.
My partner has been working on the belts which came up really good. We bought some leather like material and strips of plastic sheet, the inserts for the buckles we used layers of cardboard cut to shape and size for each and Velcro to attach everything.
Here are some photos
Any advice is welcome
Attachments
IMG_2379.JPG
Material being cut and plastic strips for belts
IMG_2378.JPG
Cardboard sections cut to shape for inserts and covered with leather like material
IMG_2394.JPG
Inserts with Velcro for attachment
IMG_2401.JPG
Finished Belt with attached inserts

mad-Cylon
Patrol Member

Post by mad-Cylon » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:15 pm

Once I finished the sanding and shaping the body filler as best as I could I applied x2 coats of undercoat then x1 coat of high gloss black. The black paint really helped identify any major flaws particularly any sanding marks that I didn't sand out with the super fine sandpaper, I then applied another coat or two of the high gloss black which I actually like the look of. (pity their are no black Cylons). Then I applied the chrome paint, I searched and tried a couple which ended up silver but I found one which does the job, I just need to seal it and protect it somehow. Any advice on how to seal it would be greatly welcome. I thought about using car wax, I will test it and see what happens.
Now the small pieces are complete, except for the decals, it’s time for the Backpack Chest plate and Helmet.
Below are some photos, I welcome any comments.
Attachments
IMG_2382.JPG
Two coats of High Glass Black
IMG_2395.JPG
Finished Belt Buckles
IMG_2396.JPG
Finished Armbands
IMG_2397.JPG
Finished Shoulder sections
IMG_2400.JPG
Gauntlets just needing the decals

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:56 pm

Looking GREAT!!! Another Centurion is well under way - good job. :salute:

One advice item I have would be on Velcro. I used "normal" sticky back Velcro and had issues. Over time the adhesive eventually gave out on the fake leather my belt has and it creates a sticky trail as it slowly started to move - slide down. Like a snail trail of slime. However, if I used "Industrial Strength" Velcro that has held up much better - no slime. Just one tip to watch out for over time. You might go to suit up next year and your Velcro might have shifted.

mad-Cylon
Patrol Member

Post by mad-Cylon » Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:11 am

Thanks Cyln-knight, I never considered that. The car polish didn't work to seal the chrome as it immediately turned grey. Working on the backpack now and the skirt. Have an idea for the backpack which isn't screen accurate but will post anyway hopefully tomorrow.

rustycylon
Squadron Leader

Post by rustycylon » Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:25 am

most chrome paints tend to go dull when lacquered or sealed. Can you get alclad2 paint in your country

mad-Cylon
Patrol Member

Post by mad-Cylon » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:00 am

Hiya Rustycylon, looks like that isn't available here. I have a few more things to try and will see how it holds up during its first comic con next week otherwise may redo them in a satin Silver......

OMEGA3
Patrol Leader

Post by OMEGA3 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:39 pm

OUTSTANDING is the only comment I can add to your GREAT work !

KEEP ONE GOOD EYE ON CENTURION ! Everyone in the Empire should try this.... Maybe.... LOL :cylon:

mad-Cylon
Patrol Member

Post by mad-Cylon » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:21 pm

This project took a lot of work I'm sure you all know all to well....
The project was so much fun, so many learning curves and trial and errors. I finally have one set fully completed and the other two very near completion. We even did our first Supernova event which was extremely successful and it showed what I need to do to the Cylon to make it better.
Adding padding to the Backpack, particularly on the shoulders, add foam support within the Helmet, adding a stronger AMP to the sound as this was very loud in an empty room but could not be heard very well in a crowded room.
Although the chrome finish looked great at the end of the event it was scratched up and turned grayish, so now I will repaint in high gloss silver and seal it in a clear coat
The Cylon was very popular, as we had hoped.
I will continue to post in here the progress of the other two sets and the new finish / upgrade of the completed one.
Attachments
IMG_2441.JPG
IMG_2434.JPG
IMG_2446.JPG
IMG_2511.JPG

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:10 pm

LOVE IT. So much work - so well done!
Be sure to add the silver triangles on the toe of your boots when you have time.
That way, lowly humans know a Cylon is kicking them around. ;)

:cylon: :cylon: :erk: :evillaugh: :evillaugh:

Return to “Centurion Builders' Forum”