The story of my Cylon... so far

Tips, tricks, inside secrets, help, sources, items used on making the Cylon Centurion suit to wear. Tell us your story, how you came about collecting your parts to a Centurion, or if you own a complete Centurion costume.
Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin

The story of my Cylon... so far

Post by Red Eye » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:33 am

Here's the story so far of the work for my Cylon Centurion costume:

After I purchased a complete set of Cylon armor from an australian seller on eBay, the construction period takes about one or two months.

The shipping takes also a while and I had to pay custom dues, which are incresed the total sum of the armor.

After dealing with all that, I finally got home to unpack my armor. It was primed in a gray automotive lacquer and had lot of flaws on the surface. So I realized that there's a lot of work to be done.

I contacted the husband from a girlfirend of my mother before, who's a varnisher by trade, and he accepted to do the flaw-removal and painting for me. So I bought a set of chrome paint, that perfectly imitate the look of the mirroring chrome plating.

After I've seen my armor with all flaws worked out and primed in white then(which later changed to black, according to the paint set instruction), I was really blown away! He did a very good job.

Then, after five weeks or so, I got a new call from him: The chrome paint was ready! So I looked after it again and was speechless. I not recognized the armor again... now you could call it a Cylon armor!

I also asked my uncle to build in the scanning eye and the "warble" sound... after his affirmation I brought the helmet and the backback to him, which will house an MP3-Player and a speaker to playback the Cylon sound. This work's still in progress, but stay tuned, after it is done, I can make a short video clip of the helmet or something.

I furnished the rest of the armor with velcro tape, which holds better then I suspected, and added the stickers for the right and left forearm-pieces and the backpack.

But there was the next problem: The parts (the right side of the chestplate and the boot gauntlets) didn't fit together! So I called the husband of my mum's girlfriend again to take care of that problem. It's also still in the making.

In the meantime my grandpa build the sword and the rifle for me professionally. Thanks to Dale at this point for the side panels. My rifle would not be complete without them!

I also ordered the battery belt from Dale. It was really heavy because of the rechargeable batteries. Because they not needed, I removed them and reduced the weight of the belt a lot.

The boots are also painted, the painting for the gloves are still in process.

The second challenge would be the undersuit, but I've arranged that too: The aunt from a pal of me will make it. The fabric is also present. So all I can do now is wait...

So that was the story so far from my Cylon. On the added picture you'll see my armor... please tell me what you think about it!

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:09 am

Nice work J

Red Eye

Post by Red Eye » Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:37 pm

I hope the undersuit will be ready very soon! Once I have it, the costume is as good as finished!

Galactifan
Flight Leader

Post by Galactifan » Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:30 am

You really put all your relatives right to work for you. It looks good so far. Post more pics when you have them. Take some pics with the flash on and off with your camera. Good luck!

Red Eye

Post by Red Eye » Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:01 pm

Thank you! I'm glad and lucky that I've got my relatives to help me with the Cylon... more pictures will be coming up soon...

deralis
Citizen

Post by deralis » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:49 pm

:shock: Nice !!!!
Did your Rifle come with the Kit???

Me and My Buddy Are hoping to get ours done for C-4. The hard part for us will be the undersuit.

Great job on the Chroming!!!!!

Red Eye

Post by Red Eye » Sat Jan 20, 2007 9:46 am

Thank you!

No, the rifle's self-made except for the side panels... I can make a few more detailed pictures of it if you like...

The undersuit will also be a challenge... but it can be done... I can't wait to see it!

C1-978
Patrol Leader

Post by C1-978 » Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:27 am

Hey Redeye...where did you get the side panels for the gun?

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:47 am

C1-978 wrote:Hey Redeye...where did you get the side panels for the gun?
I used to sell them on eBay. I not longer have the mold, but you can send C.O.R.A. a note. He now has ownership of the molds for the rifle panels. I also have listed on eBay the sword end cap. These are all copies off my screen used items.

goldcylon1
First Centurion

Post by goldcylon1 » Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:12 pm

:) Nice work!! Baltar would be proud!

matic
Citizen

Post by matic » Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:14 am

Thats pretty cool that you have family members who have such diverse skills!
I wish I had such luck!
The parts look great, can you post a pic of the suit being worn?
Always looks better together.

Red Eye

Post by Red Eye » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:59 pm

Hello matic!

Thank you!

Yes, of course I'll make pics of my costume being worn.

But the most important part, the undersuit, is not finished yet.

Return to “Centurion Builders' Forum”