Hand-Schaub's rifle build thread

Tips, tricks, inside secrets, help, sources, items used on making the Cylon Centurion suit to wear. Tell us your story, how you came about collecting your parts to a Centurion, or if you own a complete Centurion costume.
Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin

Re: Hand-Schaub's rifle build thread

Post by Red Eye » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:11 pm

Cylon-Knight wrote:I recently saw a Cylon rifle on eBay that seemed to break into two main sections. A good idea for a Cylon on the move, I thought.
Mean this one here: Image

"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:26 pm

Shazam! That is the one... Red Eye's eye is always watching. ;)

Yes, and then if the stock would detach too it would be more mobile between trooping. Just an idea, perhaps for a future build... Probably not much of an option for a vac formed rifle.
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

Red Eye

Post by Red Eye » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:14 am

The rifle shown here was made by Kropserkel, by the way.
"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

Hand-Schaub
First Centurion

Post by Hand-Schaub » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:28 pm

Yeah... I wont be doing that. I mean, in a kit form it can be made to come apart if the builder so desires. I saw two times a krop rifle come apart during a troop. One time in San Diego another time during G3. SO there are definite drawbacks. ALso, a vacu-formed rifle gets a lot of its strength from being a single unit.

I *may* do a three part vac mold though, because I found the plastic doesn't suck in around the back of the receiver where the stock meets it.

Yesterday was a fun and productive day!
Attachments
prog6.jpg
prog5.jpg
prog4.jpg
prog3.jpg

Hand-Schaub
First Centurion

Post by Hand-Schaub » Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:38 pm

So the above it the prototype tooling. From here I can cast stone or fiberglass tools which can further be refined. I plan to fix the lines up (there are a few crooked ones) and of course get rid of the grain effect. But I'm pretty happy with what I have so far.

Jenne
Flight Leader

Post by Jenne » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:55 pm

very nice, good work

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:56 pm

Will you pull the final rifle out of black plastic? Is colored plastic more money or harder to work with? I don't see it used much in hobby builds... ? (Just wondering out loud)

Hand-Schaub
First Centurion

Post by Hand-Schaub » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:19 pm

Good - question... it's all about availability... simply, few people use black styrene so iyou can't buy it. I will be doing some test pulls in black ABS so stay tuned for that.

Red Eye

Post by Red Eye » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:10 am

Great update!

Looks very promising indeed.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:23 am

Ooooooooooh ABS! :shock: :D

Rock it :cylon: style

Hand-Schaub
First Centurion

Post by Hand-Schaub » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:09 am

I have the tools cast in fiberglass and will extract them tomorrow. I can tweak them and hopefully have some new test pulls and possibly a built riffle (minus bayonet) by the weekend. Project is going well.

As a side note, I did cast up the lower tube in two parts. I looked at some samples and know I need to cast it in two halves in order to get a "shelf" for the clear tube to sit on. I'll show in pictures tomorrow.

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:04 pm

I don't want a black nor white but a chromed version will a lot a strobe lights. :lol:
Image :cylongold: :cylongold: :cylongold:

Hand-Schaub
First Centurion

Post by Hand-Schaub » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:12 pm

GoldCylon wrote:I don't want a black nor white but a chromed version will a lot a strobe lights. :lol:

Well - that can be arranged

Hand-Schaub
First Centurion

Post by Hand-Schaub » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:56 pm

BIG UPDATE!

Prototype 1 is complete. Today was a very busy day. I took the fiber glassed tools out of the 'mold' and refined them. I streamlined the profile and tweaked a few small things. I vacuformed some new halves and was pretty happy with the results. I also tried some black ABS plastic which worked out pretty well. I only had 12x24 ABS sheets so I could only test it in the barrel shroud. I will try the whole rifle in ABS when I get some more.

SO... there were a lot of problems in construction. For the first one it went together ok... but not clean. The barrel shroud is a separate piece which causes issues in construction and I think I need to revisit the approach again. My machine only does 24"x24" so I am limited which is why I can't get the entire gun in one shot (like the originals are I believe). I may decide to make the butt stock a separate tool because I can make a strong junction at that point... better than the barrel.

Those who see detail will notice the barrel is shorter than it should but this will be corrected.

The muzzle tip is one I got a while back and I will need to have someone turn me new ones on a lathe. The bayonet is also a stand in as it is just a piece of cut plastic painted silver. Kind of looks cool actually...

So, I do intend to offer some of these to the board but I want to correct the construction issues I had which will in turn correct some accuracy issues as well. But for the most part... I have a rifle!! And yes, I was going for 'background stunt version'.
Attachments
tools.jpg
abs.jpg
trimmed.jpg
proto1.jpg
proto3.jpg
proto2.jpg

Red Eye

Post by Red Eye » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:16 am

Perfect or not, it looks great so far! My compliment.

Somehow, I like the simplicity of how these things were constructed. Simple but effective IMHO.

Wish I had the money for one... :sad:

Return to “Centurion Builders' Forum”