Complete Noob petrified of wrecking helmet Kit.....

Tips, tricks, inside secrets, help, sources, items used on making the Cylon Centurion suit to wear. Tell us your story, how you came about collecting your parts to a Centurion, or if you own a complete Centurion costume.
Oxnard Montalvo
Centurion

Re: Complete Noob petrified of wrecking helmet Kit.....

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:41 am

That thread was Very enlightening! The helmet can look fantastic even with off the shelf 'rattlecans', which is good because I wouldn't be able to afford chroming! Its just a matter of taking a deep breath and getting started.......

groupleaderzeta
Squadron Leader

Post by groupleaderzeta » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:40 pm

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:That thread was Very enlightening! The helmet can look fantastic even with off the shelf 'rattlecans', which is good because I wouldn't be able to afford chroming! Its just a matter of taking a deep breath and getting started.......
Take a few deep breaths and relax, don't be in any hurry. Another tip, if you are comfortable with control, you can use tin snips to cut away the scrap plastic.
I use these for many things. Take small bites (no more than 3/8 inch) at a time. Be careful around corners, you can split the plastic.

Cylon534
Phalanx Leader

Post by Cylon534 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:22 am

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:That thread was Very enlightening! The helmet can look fantastic even with off the shelf 'rattlecans', which is good because I wouldn't be able to afford chroming! Its just a matter of taking a deep breath and getting started.......
If you go with Chrome Spray Paint, be prepared to NEVER touch the Helmet again. :smile:

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:47 am

If it wasn't for the wording of this eBay listing I would have never taken a look at this, but it reminded me of the build here.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/STAMPED-96KT-GO ... 4abc690fa1

Oxnard Montalvo
Centurion

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:25 am

Well after an enormous amount of downtime....... I still havent dared touch this!!! My first major worry is still melting the helmet by choosing the wrong glue.... any suggeston on what to use? I'm UK based here so I might not know some brands.......

Hand-Schaub
First Centurion

Post by Hand-Schaub » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:54 am

Everybody has their own way of doing things and it looks like you got a lot of good advice here.

I guess if I had anything to add it would be for glue choice. I tend to 'cross glue' things. Meaning some styrene glue is great for getting the parts together but may 'pop' under stress (same with super glue). Rough up parts with course sandpaper where you want it to grip. After tacking parts together I use good ol' hot glue to seal parts off. I used to have major reservations about hot glue but for the most part if used to seal parts in it actually helps as a shock absorber because it's kind of plastic like. Be careful not to goop it on too much because the heat will distort thin plastic.

When you get to a finishing stage avoid filling gaps with red Bondo (or choice of body filler) or spot Bondo. Paint and chrome shops hate this stuff because it will bleed through a paint job and show up black.

When you are ready to chrome I can suggest a great chrome guy here in California. Helmets run roughly $150 - $200 to be painted... depending if you want the panels and inserts painted as well.

Hand-Schaub
First Centurion

Post by Hand-Schaub » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:56 am

I just saw you are in UK so you can disregard the whole 'send it to California' part ;)

Also... in the spirit of community and encouragement... just get to it!! If you royally mess this up I will send you a new helmet kit for cost of materials and shipping! (I say thins because I have faith you will be happy with your helmet when done ) :salute:

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:24 pm

You could PM nashslash - he was in the UK and made a Centurion. He had the chrome done not to far away... Was able to drive to get it.
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

rustycylon
Squadron Leader

Post by rustycylon » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:30 am

where abouts in the UK are you?

Oxnard Montalvo
Centurion

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:05 am

Based in Leeds here. Gluewise, when people mention styrene glue, is that the same as off the shelf modelkit glue? I also breifly considered 'no more nails' as it seems to hold fast and doesn't involve a chemical reaction, plus I have a can of car body filler standing by for finishing. I've decided to steer clear of 2 part epoxy as I fear it might melt the helmet.......

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:47 am

I used off the shelf styrene glue for models on my C.O.R.A. armor, very pleased with the results.
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

Flyboy
Raider Gunner

Post by Flyboy » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:58 pm

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:This has ground to a halt until I can get a better knife. and I need sandpaper.... Still fretting over the glue... Haven't tried epoxy yet. Is ordinary modellers glue for styrene strong enough?
I use a dremel for all my projects and a dremel tool kit that i bought at Wal-Mart.
the tool kit comes with Cutting, cleaning/ Polishing, Grinding, Sharpening, Sanding, Carving/Engraving and more.

I use a Bob Smith Industries Glue with a Accelerator. I get this at the hobby store.

I hope this may help :smile:

Oxnard Montalvo
Centurion

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Wed May 01, 2013 9:32 am

I've started!!! - ive done some basic trimming its yet to be sanded down to the faint line which runs around the entire outside, (I'm assuming this is a 'cut line' otherwise I'm in trouble) I've stuck it together very roughtly with some masking tape just to look at the shape and it seems fine. How wide should the mohawk be at its highest point, so I can measure and make sure I havent taken too much out. My only other worry is at what point to cut out the 'eye' slot, and how deep it should be......

Oxnard Montalvo
Centurion

Post by Oxnard Montalvo » Fri May 03, 2013 7:16 am

Can anyone help me with that mohawk measurement..... I cant really go any further without it....

groupleaderzeta
Squadron Leader

Post by groupleaderzeta » Fri May 03, 2013 8:01 am

Oxnard Montalvo wrote:Can anyone help me with that mohawk measurement..... I cant really go any further without it....
Check out Skullbeast build thread here.. viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1342&start=45
Scroll down to a post by goldcylon, he has posted pics with tape measure.

GZ

Return to “Centurion Builders' Forum”