Question on Chroming

Tips, tricks, inside secrets, help, sources, items used on making the Cylon Centurion suit to wear. Tell us your story, how you came about collecting your parts to a Centurion, or if you own a complete Centurion costume.
MirrorTrooper
Spare Parts

Question on Chroming

Post by MirrorTrooper » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:44 am

Ok, well...new to the boards here, but I have a project I'm working on that requires chroming (ABS plastic). I know there are several methods including spray, vacuum metalizing, powder coating, drip painting, electroplating, etc.. But I was wandering, has anyone ever tried or used Spaz Stix Ultimate Mirror Chrome paint? I am pretty tight on budget, so the more expensive processes are probably out, but I really want to get the best possible "mirror" type of chrome finish.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Re: Question on Chroming

Post by Cylon-Knight » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:46 am

Hello MirrorTrooper! I don't know about the Spaz Stix Ultimate Mirror Chrome, sorry... I do know that our member Mardikrewe has recently tried another spray chrome, starts with an A... but I can't remember the name!? The cost is lower than plate I'm sure but he noted the surface must be PERFECT to get a good looking final part.

How much does the Spaz cost?

AND... Welcome to the site! Post often and enjoy.

P.S. You may try to visit http://www.c3pobuilders.com too and lurk around a bit
They have quite a few threads on various chrome options (typically gold in color, but eh, same deal :) :cylon: :cylongold: ).
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

MirrorTrooper
Spare Parts

Post by MirrorTrooper » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:01 pm

Thanks!
The cost for the Spaz chrome stuff is like $12 for a 3.5 oz. can. Not sure if that would really be all that cost effective.

I know I read a few people used artcraft plating, anyone know what the cost for something like a full set of armor would be? Oh, and reliability at receiving all pieces back unharmed, lol

gremlin
Flight Leader

Post by gremlin » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:30 pm

i have worked with spaz.... its ok.... it doesnt give that 100% reflection that chrome does (about 65% reflection and its clowdy)....finger prints is also an issue its not durrable enough for wearable armor and you cant put a top coat on it (turns grey)... BUT if you have a clear vac formed armor than spaz will be ideal because you will be spraying the inside and will give a better reflection back....hope i helped. my terminator skull posted in the show off your props section was done with spaz

GoldCylon
Founder

Question on Chroming

Post by GoldCylon » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:42 pm

I haven't used that brand but I am aware of it. The luster of it is higher than 65% and a lot of the reflection is based off the base coat. A high gloss paint is needed to achieve a high as possible luster rating. Companies like Alsa claim up to 98% luster rate to Mirra Chrome. That is in raw form at 100% perfection, and doesn't include the clear coat. That is when the rating of the luster drops down and maybe at best a 90% luster rate is possible, but only by someone that uses that type of method regularly.
Image :cylongold: :cylongold: :cylongold:

MirrorTrooper
Spare Parts

Post by MirrorTrooper » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:28 pm

Ok, so, mirrachrome would be my best bet if I choose not to do the vacuum metalizing, based on tight budget and quality of chrome finish?

GoldCylon
Founder

Question on Chroming

Post by GoldCylon » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:23 pm

The Spatz is the same type of chroming method just a off brand that provides the same results.
Also I forgot the base paint (1st cost) needs to be a high gloss paint. Prefer a high gloss black to start and then a white high gloss on an other sample piece to compare. Be carful to try not to touch the finished dry piece once painted. Your finger prints oil can't be wiped off. Only smudged and will effect the luster level or you will see your finger print on the finished item. Hand from the back side with tape. The tape will hold the piece down when time to chrome.
Image :cylongold: :cylongold: :cylongold:

MirrorTrooper
Spare Parts

Post by MirrorTrooper » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:38 am

Alright, going to inquire to a few companies about cost of chroming, and maybe try my hand at mirrachrome and Spatz to see if they are viable options. I'll keep you guys posted about whatever I find out and choose to do later on.

Thanks for all your input! :D :cylon:
Pierce

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:24 am

You're welcome, and good luck.

MirrorTrooper
Spare Parts

Post by MirrorTrooper » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:33 am

MirrorTrooper wrote:Thanks!
The cost for the Spaz chrome stuff is like $12 for a 3.5 oz. can. Not sure if that would really be all that cost effective.

I know I read a few people used artcraft plating, anyone know what the cost for something like a full set of armor would be? Oh, and reliability at receiving all pieces back unharmed, lol
The artcraft people are out of the question...they gave me a price of $10,000, lol :roll:

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:24 pm

$10,000?! HOLY CRAP. Were they going to plate in gold, silver AND platinum? They totally "pie-in-the-sky" quoted that to get rid of you. We had that once for leather repair on a Captain's chair on a pontoon boat. They quoted us more to fix a hole chewed by a raccoon than to buy an entire new replacement seat from the factory. Crazy!

Be sure when you call up the places to have your very very first question be if they plate plastic. Many chrome shops deal only with metal.

Good luck with the search, someone is out there ready to take your money! -a reasonable amount that is- lol ;)
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:02 pm

Art-Craft is saying we don't want to do it, because or safe is full of money, and we have no other place to put it.

Cylon534
Phalanx Leader

Post by Cylon534 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:18 pm

With all the issues (and costs) i've had with my "do it yourself" Helmet, I wish I would have just bought a complete Kropserkel for $500.

MirrorTrooper
Spare Parts

Post by MirrorTrooper » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:22 pm

Cylon-Knight wrote:$10,000?! HOLY CRAP. Were they going to plate in gold, silver AND platinum? They totally "pie-in-the-sky" quoted that to get rid of you. We had that once for leather repair on a Captain's chair on a pontoon boat. They quoted us more to fix a hole chewed by a raccoon than to buy an entire new replacement seat from the factory. Crazy!

Be sure when you call up the places to have your very very first question be if they plate plastic. Many chrome shops deal only with metal.

Good luck with the search, someone is out there ready to take your money! -a reasonable amount that is- lol ;)
Haha, that's what I thought! I'm actually thinking chrome spray paint is going to be my best option, because I don't really want to spend more the $100 to get an incredible luster. I also have a friend nearby who is amazing with painting, has the spray gear, and experience with clear coats. ;)

Return to “Centurion Builders' Forum”