helmet quandry

Tips, tricks, inside secrets, help, sources, items used on making the Cylon Centurion suit to wear. Tell us your story, how you came about collecting your parts to a Centurion, or if you own a complete Centurion costume.
jclayman99
Raider Commander

helmet quandry

Post by jclayman99 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:27 am

So I was looking through my reference materials and came across this image. Unless this is an example of the camera being a one eyed idiot, it seems to me that there are 2 sizes of helmets. anyone have any insight into this. By your command.
Attachments
heads.jpg

If "they" say it can't be done, it just means "they" cant do it.
JCLAY

GoldCylon
Founder

Re: helmet quandry

Post by GoldCylon » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:53 am

Well if you look at the back pack throat piece it looks bigger also. So my thoughts they were not lined up in front of each other. I am sure they had the actor wearing the helmets move back and forth so they could keep the actor in the frame because of the back ground. Something in the back ground reflection cause it to throw of the image. Say a tree or building that now took away from the reflection image of the warriors.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:58 am

Yes, I think the Centurion on the left is closer to the camera. If you look at the two Centurion's "faces" they don't reflect each other - only Starbuck and Apollo. A trick to control the reflections like GoldCylon said. There is only one size helmet, otherwise costs would have been doubled to produce them. (More cost = BAD for production!)
"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

jclayman99
Raider Commander

helmet quandry

Post by jclayman99 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:06 am

Now if that is the case they would have had to have the actors move with them because the actors are the same size in the reflections. In my experience at many photo shoots there would be no real reason to do that. Not to say its not a possibility. Also for the helmet to appear that much smaller it would have to be significantly further behind. Meaning the actors would also be staged at those extreme deapths for the reflections And unless the goal was to make it look smaller for art sake through camera trickery I can't imagine why you would do that. Also there would be focus issues. I think this is the bigger issue. I don't think the depth of field would allow you to get both colons in tack sharp focus as they are in the image. One would surely be racked out of focus and one would be the focal point. Thoughts?
JCLAY

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:23 am

It could be both helmets were rejects, and one is smaller, but I'm not really sure.

Also, what is up with the cord on the left Centurion's neck area? It's just flying all over the place...
And the right Centurion its "nose area" in the center of the scanner seems much tighter than the Centurion on the left. Hummmm... could be the perspective being thrown off with distace/angle of the camera.

I still think the Cylons are either in different planes buy maybe 1/2 a foot - or the camera is "tilted/rotated" closer to one to make them seem offset. And the actors are also staggered - their reflections would be in focus as they are "evened-out" when they hit the chrome. Doesn't have to be a massive amount, just a step backwards or forwards.

In Lord Of the Rings they did MANY camera tricks like this for the Hobbits with Gandolf sitting at tables together, etc. It's an old Hollywood trick, when done so smooth its awesome.

jclayman99
Raider Commander

helmet quandry

Post by jclayman99 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:32 am

Good thoughts. I wish we knew the answer for sure.
JCLAY

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:40 am

Ever tried taking photos in a room of mirrors with out you being in the mirror. Get back to me once you have done that and you will change your story a bit on the size I think. It is a nightmare to take photos of a chromed costume with all those curves, and keep the film crew, lights, and equipment out of the photo. Trust me they moved the subjects around over moving a tree or some other fixed object, and since they photo never was made larger than 8x10 not like bill board sized like many of the photos that were taken could have used for. SO think like any thumbnail of a photo it always looks clear. As for cost of making different sized Cylons. Debunk that though via at least coast. That is minor issue compared to the mix, but they didn't make two sizes anyway. Cylons came in one size, and one size only...................LARGE

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:49 am

:byyourcommand:

jclayman99
Raider Commander

helmet quandry

Post by jclayman99 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:26 am

Byyourcommand
JCLAY

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:54 am

Now is it me or do I see what might be the camera man in the reflection on the left helmet, and it looks to me like it is wearing a rainbow striped shirt?

jclayman99
Raider Commander

helmet quandry

Post by jclayman99 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:58 am

Good catch. It very well might be.
JCLAY

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:09 pm

SIMPLE - Everyone print the photo out, carry it in your wallet - if/when you see Dirk or Richard ask them how the photo was done. ;)

Or I may be able to ask another who has internet connections to Richard... hummmm

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:14 pm

I guess I could send him an email and ask, but man I am sure they took more photos them more than they were filmed so it might not be recalled much on the details.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:20 pm

Well if HE doesn't remember... I guess Obi-Wan is our only hope..... *D'OH!*

jclayman99
Raider Commander

helmet quandry

Post by jclayman99 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:26 pm

Hahahaha
JCLAY

Return to “Centurion Builders' Forum”