*Official* Voice Thread

Tips, tricks, inside secrets, help, sources, items used on making the Cylon Centurion suit to wear. Tell us your story, how you came about collecting your parts to a Centurion, or if you own a complete Centurion costume.
uCylon
Spare Parts

Re: *Official* Voice Thread

Post by uCylon » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:46 am

The Sennheiser Old Manual Resource doesn't have the VSM 201 listed. :frak:

http://en-us.sennheiser.com/service-sup ... d-products

"In addition Sennheiser Audio Labs closely cooperate with universities and research institutions to incorporate the latest technological achievements into innovative products."

http://en-us.sennheiser.com/about-sennh ... -locations

I will take advantage of this.

VoiceEncoder
Spare Parts

Post by VoiceEncoder » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:54 am

uCylon wrote:The Sennheiser Old Manual Resource doesn't have the VSM 201 listed. :frak:

http://en-us.sennheiser.com/service-sup ... d-products

"In addition Sennheiser Audio Labs closely cooperate with universities and research institutions to incorporate the latest technological achievements into innovative products."

http://en-us.sennheiser.com/about-sennh ... -locations

I will take advantage of this.
uCylon wrote:Janec did a wonderful job putting the video together. Mr. Berkos said it best, that every sound engineer has their own starting point. That's my clue to work on my own Cylon voice.
Yes, he did and you'll need to get an EMS Vocoder 2000 IF you want to try to sound as close to the Cylon Centurions as possible. While it is true that to date no one with either the Sennheiser Vocoder VSM201 nor the EMS Vocoder 2000 has perfectly captured the Cylon voice...it is a fact that the EMS model just naturally sounds closer. Also I had an email conversation with author Dave Tompkins who wrote 'How to Wreck a Nice Beach' and he told me he spoke with those involved with Mr. Peter Berkos and told him that Mr. Berkos was confused on which vocoder he used. They told Dave that it wasn't the Sennheiser, but indeed the EMS 2000.

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:42 am

Those that worked with Mr Berkos with out names attached to verify is nothing but hearsay. Aka a rumor spread by Dave.
As I have said in the past as I will today I am not a expert or even a rookie in the audio world of sound effects, but I do know what Mr Berkos said in my interview with Mr Berkos that he used the 201 and it might not have been used to create the Cylon voice it was used in Galactica. He sent me the original owners manual years ago with photos inside of ships from the Rag Tag Fleet. Maybe that is what the 201 was used for but still a unknown.
Image :cylongold: :cylongold: :cylongold:

VoiceEncoder
Spare Parts

Post by VoiceEncoder » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:05 pm

GoldCylon wrote:Those that worked with Mr Berkos with out names attached to verify is nothing but hearsay. Aka a rumor spread by Dave.
As I have said in the past as I will today I am not a expert or even a rookie in the audio world of sound effects, but I do know what Mr Berkos said in my interview with Mr Berkos that he used the 201 and it might not have been used to create the Cylon voice it was used in Galactica. He sent me the original owners manual years ago with photos inside of ships from the Rag Tag Fleet. Maybe that is what the 201 was used for but still a unknown.
Dave Tompkins is regarded as one of foremost leading authorities on the vocoder and if he said he spoke to those involved with Battlestar Galactica (1978) and they told him they used the EMS Vocoder 2000 to voice the Cylons with...then that is what was used. Some say (other than Dave) that the Sennheiser Vocoder VSM201 was used for Muffit and/or launching of the Colonial Vipers from the launch bay. Plus in addition I have an excellent ear and can definitely tell the Cylons are done with an EMS Vocoder and NOT a Sennheiser Vocoder! Just ask anyone else to compare their sounds and see what they say. The Sennheiser NEVER sounds like the Cylons, no matter what. The EMS always has the Cylon sound at least at a slight level. Go figure?! I bet most if not in-fact all experts in the field of the vocoder would agree with me that the EMS Vocoder 2000 and not the Sennheiser Vocoder VSM201 was used for the vocals of the Cylon Centurions.

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:36 am

I once asked indirectly to give me a few names of those that he claimed he talked with. I have a list of 7 names that was given to me by Mr Berkos, and not a single name could ever be produced. I think if I spend the time to track someone down I would at least remember their name. So with that said no trust is given since he refers to a unnamed person. As for the Senn over the EMS I have heard both for Cylon voice sound files made by each, and clearly under the direction the files were made I would agree that the EMS sounds more Cylon like realistic, but since I have no background in as a audio engineer I can't say well this change needs to be make to correct that effect to give that desired sound effect if you use the Senn. My interview with Mr Berkos in the interview did state a method he used, and type of devices that were used, but no one has mentioned to me that have used that same method with the Senn, so in my book there could be a method using the Senn to make that voice.

Return to “Centurion Builders' Forum”