Tutorial - convert Cooper Gloves into Cylon hands

Tips, tricks, inside secrets, help, sources, items used on making the Cylon Centurion suit to wear. Tell us your story, how you came about collecting your parts to a Centurion, or if you own a complete Centurion costume.
Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Tutorial - convert Cooper Gloves into Cylon hands

Post by Cylon-Knight » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:14 am

Cylon-Knight's "how to convert a Cooper Glove into a Cylon hand" photo tutorial!
Items to note:
-Use SHARP tools, it will make the cutting SO much easier and everything go quicker
-The inner foam in original 1960s/70s Cooper gloves is no doubt a crumbly mess (as you'll see in my pictures). I stopped every so often in the process to shake out the crumbs. Have a trash can handy for a good shake every so often and you'll avoid A LOT of clean up later.
-Be careful with those sharp tools! Those (AND CYLON HANDS!) are dangerous :twisted:

ImageImage
First cut on the open edge on the bottom of the cuff toward the thumb. Then cut 90 degrees toward the back of the glove and you'll get the shown section cut off. Also pictured are the tools I used. Some SHARP scissors, and my trusty X-ACTO knife with a new SHARP blade (Note: I didn't cut myself this time! *joy* I don't have the best history with my X-ACTO knife :oops:)

ImageImage
Now, move to the top of the cuff. And start to cut the leather as shown. Go all the way round the glove following the cut line as shown. There is a hard plastic insert in the cuff. You'll have to cut the top leather and then a matching cut on the inside lining (right photo).

ImageImage
After the two cuts described above, you'll have the cuff totally removed from the glove.
Then trim up inside a bit to get nice clean edges (photo on the right).

Congratulations! You are well on your way to getting your Cylon hands complete and being able to help with the final annihilation of the life form known as man! COOL huh!? :cylon:

"All Baseships are now in range to attack the Colonies."

tkjimbo
Citizen

Re: Tutorial - convert Cooper Gloves into Cylon hands

Post by tkjimbo » Mon May 20, 2013 10:05 am

Hey CK, that tutorial looks great... What is the best Coopers glove to try to find on the Bay?

Also, complete newbie question (remember in my intro I said I had no skills? You'll see that I wasn't lying in my questions LOL), but whats the best way to paint it when everything is cut out?

***Edit: Nevermind, I found this page - http://www.cylonempire.com/centurion.html
JamesH aka TKJimbo aka TK6799
Public Relations Officer - 501st NorthEast Remnant Garrison

Author of the book Lost Boys of the Bronx: The Oral History of the Ducky Boys Gang

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Mon May 20, 2013 5:44 pm

I went with dye for those gloves above... but I got a second pair that are 100% 1:1 now that I'll have to partial paint... I'll let ya know how the paint goes! :)

tkjimbo
Citizen

Post by tkjimbo » Mon May 20, 2013 8:57 pm

Awesome... Whats the best dye for the job? Kiwi Black Leather? I think I have some of that lying around after dying my SW belt...
Cylon-Knight wrote:I went with dye for those gloves above... but I got a second pair that are 100% 1:1 now that I'll have to partial paint... I'll let ya know how the paint goes! :)

Author of the book Lost Boys of the Bronx: The Oral History of the Ducky Boys Gang

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Mon May 20, 2013 11:02 pm

I am using Fiebing's Leasther Dye... love it.

tkjimbo
Citizen

Post by tkjimbo » Tue May 21, 2013 11:11 am

Great Thanks! Post pix of the final product when ready please?
Cylon-Knight wrote:I am using Fiebing's Leasther Dye... love it.

Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin
It’s my birthday

Post by Red Eye » Tue May 21, 2013 2:00 pm

Some examples of finished Cylon gloves can be found here:

http://www.byyourcommand.net/cylongalle ... ?album=314
"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

tkjimbo
Citizen

Post by tkjimbo » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:34 pm

Cylon-Knight wrote:I am using Fiebing's Leasther Dye... love it.
Hey CK,

Now that my armor is days away, I started moving on the gloves... I used the Fiebing's dye on my gloves and while it came out halfway decent for the first coat (I missed a few spots as you can see LOL) , I'm having problems that 24 hours later its still "sticky"... The palm leather is perfect, but the painted outside shell seems to not have soaked it up as well... (which I guess makes sense - being its painted)

Did you have that problem? Any solution? (would leather conditioner help? I watched a youtube video and they used that on a belt) -- Dont want to start the second coat until I figure out the best way of doing it...

Your tutorial is GREAT - thank you... Starting the boot painting over the weekend!

GoldCylon
Founder

Post by GoldCylon » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:10 pm

Nice. Now best them up. Have a screen used look to them. Those screen used gloves are pretty beat up. Those just look to purty. Good job on coloring them.
Image :cylongold: :cylongold: :cylongold:

tkjimbo
Citizen

Post by tkjimbo » Fri Aug 02, 2013 5:38 am

Thanks - Believe me they'll be battle worn before we know it!
GoldCylon wrote:Nice. Now best them up. Have a screen used look to them. Those screen used gloves are pretty beat up. Those just look to purty. Good job on coloring them.

Cylon-Knight
Site Administrator

Post by Cylon-Knight » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:33 pm

Hi tkjimbo! Glad you like my tutorial. It was fun to make, and I didn't bleed any - lol
tkjimbo wrote:Post pix of the final product when ready please?
Here they are:
The left glove from my two sets.
On the left is the first glove I got and converted - the ones pictured this tut (never did apply vinyl trim to the cuff).
On the right is my second, 1:1 glove - note part of it is painted, dye failed. (More info on that in my build thread page 27.)

tkjimbo wrote: Hey CK,
I used the Fiebing's dye on my gloves and while it came out halfway decent for the first coat (I missed a few spots as you can see LOL) , I'm having problems that 24 hours later its still "sticky"...

Did you have that problem? Any solution? (would leather conditioner help?)
I did the dye on my gloves long ago, when this tut was originally done... and I remember at the time the dye was a bit sticky, and would leave a few black fingerprints/offset if touching anything. In time that passed - and now they are completely dry have no issues like that. I think the leather dye must not have a quick set to it so it can work its into the leather better and REALLY soak in. (That's just a guess, I'm no leather worker... and I forgot what the directions said about any drying time). I just know in time it will pass. :) If you want to troop soon, it would be annoying but over time you should be good to go.

I did buy some leather conditioner when I started my tutorial, but never did use it. I figured the leather is about 30 years old and is what it is at this point. And you'd have to use it before you apply the dye wouldn't you? I can't remember what the guy told me when I bought the stuff. :?

tkjimbo
Citizen

Post by tkjimbo » Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:17 pm

Just threw some of my Gloves and Boots mod pictures into my FB album... Stole how to do both directly from you :) THank you so much!!
https://www.facebook.com/lanternmedia/m ... 132&type=3

FLIGHTLDR SERPENTINE
Squadron Leader

Post by FLIGHTLDR SERPENTINE » Sat Sep 27, 2014 10:16 pm

Awsome work. I just lucked out with this pair for $75 so I'm on my way! :cylongold:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400780177792?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
:cylongold: "SEARCH FOR WRECKAGE... LEAVE NO SURVIVORS..."

Red Eye
Cylon Empire VIP & BYC.net Gallery Admin
It’s my birthday

Post by Red Eye » Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:13 am

Perfect catch!

I also got this model some years ago... it's a dead-on match.
"There can be no survivors. So long as one human remains alive the Alliance is threatened."

Cheeser359
Spare Parts

Post by Cheeser359 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:02 pm

FLIGHTLDR SERPENTINE wrote:Awsome work. I just lucked out with this pair for $75 so I'm on my way! :cylongold:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400780177792?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

Argh!!
Seriously??
How did I miss seeing those!!!

I came close.... http://www.ebay.ca/itm/111460647065?ssP ... 1497.l2649

Return to “Centurion Builders' Forum”