Help on what filler to use please

Tips, tricks, inside secrets, help, sources, items used on making the Cylon Centurion suit to wear. Tell us your story, how you came about collecting your parts to a Centurion, or if you own a complete Centurion costume.
mancutd
Centurion

Help on what filler to use please

Post by mancutd » Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:50 am

Hi all again. Wondering if any one can help me with advice on body filler? my situation is this. I have one of C.O.R.A's fibreglass backpacks which i have been working on for many, many months on and off. I have used spot putty by Bondo to fill pin holes and in places Milliput too. The trouble is in places the areas are not flat and have rise and low areas notably on the top long back section behind the neck. I want to get this area completely true and flat. To do this I'm thinking about using some car body filler to spread over the dips and then use a sanding block to level off.

I'm a bit concerned though in what filler to use. I don't want to use the wrong stuff and then when it comes to having full metal chroming done it ruins the end result. Living in the U.K there are so many products to choose from. I was looking at getting some Isopon P38 easy sand? Would anyone know if this would be ok to use or any suggestions on a recommended product to achieve the best results without causing problems for chrome plating later?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Neil

Thorsten66
Spare Parts

Re: Help on what filler to use please

Post by Thorsten66 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:30 pm

I really recommend to go to a professional car painter and ask.Maybe it's OK just to spray body filler (they have really thick stuff) and sand then prime ...maybe the surfaces need to get filled with bondo.Hard to say from the distance.
Thorsten

mancutd
Centurion

Post by mancutd » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:50 pm

Hi Thorsten66. Thanks for the reply. I went to my local Auto care centre and was advised to use Isopon P38 body filler. Apparently its the same as Bondo. I have also been using Milliput in areas too. After sanding to get a flat shape I then go over areas with Bondo Spot glazing putty and then wet sand down. Its a real learning curve I'm on and finding out how to use these products is an experience to say the least. I hope one day i will have something I can be really proud of knowing how much hard work I put into it. :byyourcommand:

rustycylon
Squadron Leader

Post by rustycylon » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:31 pm

get the body filler that's designed for car bumpers, its more flexible than normal filler

mancutd
Centurion

Post by mancutd » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:30 pm

Cheers Rustycylon. I did look at that Bumper filler and thought about getting it. Will get some over the weekend and give it a go.

Return to “Centurion Builders' Forum”